A Fairy's Tale

Chapter Three: Julia

Oh, Mary vowed she would have her revenge on that terrible, redheaded, spoiled-rotten Olive Wintsley if she ever got the chance. What a cruel little boy he had been, ridiculing her uncle in that manner! Her day had gone perfectly well, until Ms. Timmons had sat her in front of Oliver. He had whispered hurtful things about her uncle into her ear during class, and had Ms. Timmons not caught him pulling on Mary’s long golden hair, she would have hit Oliver with the teacher’s yardstick and saved her the trouble.
Before she was fairly ready to kick him, Mary had heard, “Psst! New girl! Your uncle is a looney! He’s a crazy madman, my dad said so, and he should be locked up somewhere. The old coot actually believes in fair-”

That’s when the school bell rang. After its chime ended the class period and marked the beginning of recess, Oliver walked over to bully another girl. She sat alone at her desk. Her glasses were as round as the front of a spyglass, and each of her cheeks was covered in blotches of freckles. Her thick brown hair was in braids with a blue ribbon at each end, and she had her nose stuck in a book that Mary had read before, titled, The Wizard of Oz. The nasty little boy snatched it from her, jumped up and down, and pointed at the girl, calling her book stupid and laughing in her face.

Mary stomped over and with as much force as he had done when taking the book from the girl, snatched the book out of Oliver’s hands. “If you don’t leave this poor girl alone, I’ll put your pet garden snake that you talk so much about into Ms. Timmons’s desk and tell her you did it!” Mary threatened.

Oliver’s face whitened a bit, and he quietly walked off to bully another student. Mary handed the girl back her book, who let out a soft, “Thank you.”

“You’re very welcome,” Mary replied. “My name is Mary. Oh, and don’t listen to him. I rather liked that book, actually.”

“I’m Julia. You like to read?” the girl asked with interest.

“I love to read!” Mary exclaimed, “Back at my old house, I used to have a whole library full of books I would read during my spare time,” Mary said.

Julia’s light blue eyes widened.

That was the beginning of the friendship that Mary and Julia were to hold in their hearts throughout their entire lives thereafter.
♠ ♠ ♠
_________________________________________________

Any disclosure, copying, distribution, or the taking of action based on above, is strictly prohibited.

© 2009 imagine27

I hope you enjoyed reading the story thus far! Please leave comments regarding your opinions on the piece. I'd love to hear from you :) Thank you so much! ~imagine27 <3

(Sorry if the chapters are short. I'm just trying to split the story in pieces because it would be too long of a one-shot)