Status: Completed

Amnesia

Part One

The doors burst open and she knew this was the one.

The one they had radioed ahead to warn the hospital about.

Doctors, surgeons and nurses surged forward as the paramedics barked out information.

"This one's an RTA. Male. 28 years of age. Name's Brian Haner..."

She shuddered slightly as she kept up with the mad dash to the ICU. Knowing a patients name scared her, it meant she was able to get emotionally attatched.

If they had a name they had a background. Family, friends and maybe even children.

"Had to be resusitated twice on the way. Fractures to the left forearm and left shin. Dislocated shoulder and a pretty deep cut on his forehead. Maybe some internal bleeding or brain damage."

She tried to help as much as she could, doctors barked orders from all angles and she carried them out as fast as humanely possible.

28. His whole life mapped out ahead of him...

*

Lauren Armstrong had completed her nursing training age twenty and had started at Lenox Hill Hospital straight away, 4 years ago.

As it was only her second week back at work after a while off she was shocked to have a chart entitled Brian Haner thrust into her arms when she came off her break.

She stood at his door, getting him back to an okay condition had been a 2 hour uphill struggle in the ICU.

And there he was in all his perfection.

His eyes were shut in a peaceful slumber, his skin pale. A nose ring glinted from his left nostril, tattoos covered his muscular arms.

She craved to know him. To hear what his voice sounded like. To be able to get to know him as a person instead of just a name and a condition.

Walking into his room the usual 'Hi I'm Lauren Armstrong and I will be your nurse' leaving her rosebud lips.

She checked his vitals, his stitches and his drip before bending down to clip his chart on the clipboard at the end of the bed.

She straightened up, scanning that beautiful complexion. He probably had a wife or girlfriend worrying about him back home.

Tears burned the back of her eyes, threatening to fall. She tried her hardest to not remember the last time she felt so involved with a patient 18months ago.

With one last glance in his direction she exited the room.

*

"Carla? Has anyone phoned Mr. Haner's family?" Lauren questioned the head of nurses.

Carla glanced up from the paperwork she had on front of her, a stressed look adorning her features, her straight bleach blonde bob hairstyle far from its usual perfection.

Her features softened slightly when she saw it was Lauren standing before her. "Thank God its only you chick," she sighed. Her relieved look switching back to her worried expression. "Mr. Haner was vacationing here in NY with his girlfriend - none of us know who he is or who to contact."

"W-what about his girlfriend? Can't she tell us anything?"

Carla shook her head sadly "Miss Clarke died in surgery earlier today."

Lauren bowed her head as she nodded and turned away. The tears threatening to emerge once again.

He was all alone, truely alone, in a foreign part of America...his girlfriend dead. No friends or family to support him.

All he has is me...