Battlefield

4. Take This To Heart

Today had been such a slow day for Katy. She had only just woke up; it was noon. Usually she'd be up by 10, going down to Bendo's to help clean up from a show that had happened a previous night. But nothing had happened since they performed. With this stupid bet, they were practicing even harder now. Even Cohen seemed to be jumping along for the ride. Any chance to prove themselves better, he was up for it.

Cohen popped his head in her room to make sure she was up and dressed. When he saw she was he informed her that everyone was already here and they were ready to get practice started. She slipped on her flipflops and followed him out to the garage. They had passed Eric, who was in the kitchen rummaging through their refrigerator as always. Regan and Greg were sitting on the couch in the garage, talking amongst themselves quietly. Both were avoiding looking at each other.

"Regan," Katy hollered. "C'mon, we gotta start."

Regan looked over and nodded, holding up a finger saying she'd be there in a minute. Katy then noticed something off. She wasn't her usual happy bubbly self. The smile that usually was pasted on her face was replaced with a frown and tears.

Katy put back the microphone and her and Cohen watched Regan and Greg as they slowly got up and walked out of garage, down the driveway where a taxi was waiting. Katy looked at Cohen, trying to ask what was going on, but Cohen just shrugged. They followed them down the garage to where Regan and Greg were.

Greg said something to Regan and she just nodded sadly. He kissed her forehead and they hugged one last time before he hopped into the cab. Katy figured she was just sad he was leaving and that she would compose herself in time for practice. She always did.

As Regan walked back to Cohen and Regan, Katy hugged her and said, "Don't worry, you'll him again soon."

Regan looked at the taxi as it got smaller in the distance. "We broke up." she said, finally after a long silence.

"What?!" Cohen and Katy both screamed, looking at her incredously. Regan and Greg were that couple that would never break up. They'd been together since she was 15 and him 19, only just getting approved by Nick about their relationship. Regan nodded and broke down in more tears.

Nick and Loren then walked up the driveway. Nick had that stupid smirk on his face as he always did, but it dropped once he saw Regan. "What happened?" He asked.

"Greg and her broke up." Cohen answered.

Nick and Loren's mouth dropped. Nick pulled his little sister in for a hug, letting her cry into him. "C'mon, I'll take you for ice cream." Nick said, knowing it would make her feel somewhat better. Cohen walked back inside saying he was going to tell Eric practice was over, leaving Loren outside alone with Katy.

"Did not see that one coming." Katy said, looking down at her feet.

"No." Loren agreed. He looked at Katy thinking of what he and Nick agreed to do days ago. He felt sick and guilty for doing this. She was so beautiful. "So uhm...I know this probably isn't the best time," Katy looked up at him immediately. "but would you like to go to dinner tonight?"

"Seriously?" Katy asked him, raising her eyebrows.

"I know you should probably be with Regan tonight, but Nick seemed like he had a handle on it..." Loren trailed off.

"No," Katy said, not being able to contain the smile that was growing on her face. "I'd love too."

"Great." Loren smiled. "I'll pick you up at 7."
♠ ♠ ♠
Awwwwww!

comment/subscribe