Battlefield

9. The Truth Is A Terrible Thing

"Hey Cohen," Katy said, as they began to come up on the field Katy and Loren spent their first date at. "just drop me off here."

"Okay," He slowed the car to a stop. "Just call me when you need a ride home."

"Sure thing." She said, getting out and slamming the door shut behind her. Katy began to walk out to the middle of the field, but stopped once she saw Loren was already there sitting down with his back to her, talking to himself.

"Loren, you're a fucking idiot." He said, to himself. He obviously hadn't heard Katy because he just kept on talking. She stared at him and listened intently almost having to strain her ears because he was talking so quietly. "You let your stupidity and Nick get in the way and what happens? The only girl you truly care about gets hurt and now she hates you."

"I don't hate you." Katy said, letting out a sigh. Loren looked up at her shocked and followed her as she sat down by him. "If anything I'm mad at myself for letting it go as far as it did."

"What are you talking about?" He furrowed his eyebrows in confusion.

"At first Cohen, Eric, and Regan told me to say away from you. You were just a distraction." She began, avoiding his eye contact. " Then they saw that you liked me and they wanted me to use you the way you used me--"

"You used me?"

"No. I was going too, but on our first date I...you treated me differently. Like I was important and I couldn't go through with it." She looked out at the field in front of her. "I was just going to avoid you til the end of the stupid bet, but then you asked me out again and I just couldn't say no. Then I fell for you. But that was obviously shot to tell seeing as how it meant shit to you."

"I was originally going to use you, but then I fell for you too. Katy," He reached forward and brushed some hair behind her ear. "everything I have said has been the truth. I didn't mean to hurt you. I am so sorry."

"I'm sorry, too." She threw her arms around his neck. He hugged her back.

"I love you." He said, leaning in and kissing her.
♠ ♠ ♠
(:
The end.

comment!