Status: On Hiatus :( I'm sorry, I'll probably update, but not often.

Heroes, and Their Heroine

Trouble

I fiddled anxiously with my thumbs as he watched me, waiting patiently for my answer. I shrugged helplessly and heaved a sigh. "I'm sorry, what did you say?" I said innocently. I gave him an absent minded stare and he gave me a deadpanned look.

"You know what I said, genius," he grinned. "So stop avoiding it!"

I swallowed the liquid that pooled in my throat and got off my bed, heading out of the room. I looked over my shoulder and he stared back, "You coming, or what?"

With a sigh, Emmett dragged himself off my bed and followed me in my familiar walk to the diner. "That depends," he grinned playfully as he shoved his wide hands into his pockets. I idly wondered how they'd fit in there. "Do I get the answer to my question?"

I snorted as we turned a corner, "Idiot; does it matter? You're already walking with me."

Emmett lifted his head in offence, "Hey now! Idiot, I am not and yes it does matter. You said we'd ask questions and no one can back down on the answers."

We shuffled our feet and walked quietly into the diner, greeting Darcy before taking my usual seat near the back. "Yes, I did say that," I said as I squated to sit on the chair, "But I'd rather not answer this one."

He snorted in response and lifted a delicate brow, "Why not? Is it that bad? The way I see it, you and Edward aren't even that close - not as close as we are and you tell him your secret but not me?"

"So, not what I mean, Emmett," I groaned and Darcy came over with my usual. Setting the chocolate drink and pie on the table, she winked at me, "Today's special is blueberry pie, darling. It's a real treat." I nodded and glared at the bear sitting across me causing him to frown and glare back. Darcy noticed and rose a brow, a smug and playful smile spreading across her lips, "Oh, are the love birds having a lover's quarrel?"

Both our heads shot up, eyes wide and mouths sputtering uncomprehendable remarks as we tried to correct her but failed. Her laugh echoed around the busy diner, being drowned out as she waved a hand, "Oh kids, I'm joking! Well, Maria, you enjoy your pie. I've got to get back to work." Emmett and I sighed in relief as we watched her retreating figure and an awkward silence fell over us.

"So," he started awkwardly. Clearing his throat, he pouted, "Why won't you tell me?"

I giggled inspite of his question, "You are so funny."

I listened as he sighed, silence once more engulfing us as we ignored the hustling and bustling world around us. Do I tell him? I mean, my dad enver meant for the divorce to happen; I'm sure he doesn't even know what he did wrong. I just personally think that my mother was the one who did everything wrong. I studied his curious and frustrated facade as he sat across from me, his eyebrows pursed in one line. His golden eyes looked at me with sincerity and something else, but I knew, that I could trust him entirely. "My dad and I moved here because of a divorce. My dad and my mom seemed so happy but hten one day she came home with a different guy with his arms wrapped around him."

He was silent, taking in the words that spilled out of my mouth. Apprehension wran through his expression as he sat there, tension once more filling the air, "And, um, and then what happened?"

I shrugged and picked at the pie before me, choosing to stare out the window. I honestly don't think I'd be able to look at him right now. He was a replica of my mother oddly; they were both funny, strong, beautiful, kind, caring -- it was scary how alike they were and they never knew each other. I guess that's what I'm afraid of; if I ever got into a relationship with him, would he leave me too? I let out a sigh and answered his question, "She moved on. She calls every now and then and I don't like to talk to her."

He seemed to go through an inner battle and stared out the window, his eyes following my gaze as we stared innocently at the sky. "I see."

It was awkward, that I could understand. I've only known him for a couple of weeks and even though we were close, this was a huge topic to talk about. He suddenly reached across the table and grasped my hand, sending jolts of electricity up my arm and butterflies soaring through me. "I'm sorry, I made you talk about this."

I felt the tension leave the area as I smiled, "It's all right. I guess I was bound to tell you sooner or later." His apology made the entire situation a little better. He gave me a small smile and let my hand go, allowing me to eat the pie before me.

His smile could fix things now.

I could only hope they could fix everything else later.
♠ ♠ ♠
And there you have it; a short, chapter.
Rate/subscribe/comment/message anyway please?! :)

Chapter Title Credit: Trouble -- NeverShoutNever