Status: On Hiatus :( I'm sorry, I'll probably update, but not often.

Heroes, and Their Heroine

Don't Sleep

I shifted under my thick duvet, the cold air from the fan not bothering my one bit. The branches beat slightly against my window, casting a dreary shadow over me. I let out a sigh and shoved myself deeper into the sheets. I couldn’t sleep, and it’s already midnight. I let out a yawn and groaned. “Ugh, I can’t wait to be a vampire,” I said sarcastically.

I heard a chuckle from my window and looked up to find a pair of gleaming familiar golden eyes. I glared at him before opening my window, watching as he leaned back against the tree while he slipped off his shoes. I moved to sit up while he crawled into the room. His marble self leaned back against the wall across of me and I leaned propped up against my pillows.

“What are you still doing up, Maria?” Edward asked. He folded his legs and cocked an innocent brow. “You may be half, but even you need your rest.”

“What are you doing here?” I retorted with a smile. “Shouldn’t you be with Isabella?”

His broad shoulders shrugged, “Bella went camping with her father in La Push; for your information, Jacob and I don’t hate each other anymore.”

I raised a brow with a tilt of my head, “Oh really now? Hmm, I’ve never heard of a vampire and a wolf getting along.”

Edward snorted gracefully, his bronze hair tousling as he shook his head with a small laugh, “Yes, it’s unheard of; but we just figured we should get along for Bella’s sake. He knows not to overstep his boundaries.”

I heaved an awkward sigh, “That’s good.” Hearing Jacob, ew, and Edward getting along, was most definitely something unheard of. As far as she knew, they had this on-going rivalry whether it is about Bella’s love or her safety—it never ended really. Civility between those two boys was very foreign. Did I believe him? Not really; although Edward would never be able to lie to me, I was still very much skeptical. It was a given; wolf shape shifters and vampires just do not mix.
I looked idly around the room as Edward watched me shift. Words were at the tip of my tongue that she wanted to say. Those three words bothered her too much because she knew what the answer was. It was more than predictable. She didn’t want to think about it.

“I can tell you don’t,” Edward voiced. “Your thoughts are running a mile a minute and I can’t really understand much. Are you alright?”

She shook her head, “Yeah, I guess. I was just wondering…Never mind.”

A frown split his pale face and he let a hand rise to run through his messy brown locks, “Where is Emmett, I’m guessing?”

She scowled, “No.” With a snort from her companion, Maria rolled her eyes, softly and begrudgingly letting out, “Yes.”

“He’s with Claire,” Edward sighed, looking down and out the window towards a stray cat, “Idiot.”

I moved and let out a tired sigh, “It’s alright; I saw it coming.” Stupid vampires and their stupid ex-lovers. Ugh; I’m going to cry myself a river.

Edward sat up, leaning over. His marble fingertips grazed my cheeks and I jolted back, finding my duvet much more interesting. “So beautiful,” he mused. My eyes widened and I glared at the sheets. Was he seriously doing this? We were just talking about Bella; who, I’m sure, would find a way to kill me if she finds out what nonsense this boy is sprouting out.

“You shouldn’t do this, Edward. What about Bella?”

He shrugged his shoulders and an uncomfortable silence befell us. His mannerisms had changed. Edward no longer looked me in the eyes and his bronze hair seemed to bounce each time his shoulders raised with an unneeded breath. “Bella and I have grown apart,” he whispered, his golden irises expressing the one emotion he was never good with hiding. He was hurt. “La Push is her new home, Maria. She’s there so much I rarely see her.”

Odd, much? Bella comes to our school; he sees her every damn day.

He rolled his eyes and reach over to grasp my hands. I gasped and tried to pull away but he held on tightly, mindful that my body was still much weaker than his. “She’s still not there; she’s always off, day dreaming about some stupid wolf.”

I coughed slightly and tugged my hands away from Edward, “And your point is? Edward, you’re making a huge mistake.”

He shook his head and I stared dubiously at him. Leaning forward, Edward traced my heated cheeks with the tips of his nimble fingers. He smiled when I looked away, but managed to make me face him again. It was official, I decided, this boy has lost his mind. He leaned closer, a small smile playing at his lips, “You’ll never be a mistake.”

He closed his eyes when my own widened considerably as his lips touched mine. He pulled away after another quick peck on my lips, opening the window to jet to his own home down the street. My fingers rose shakily to my lips, eyes still wide.

What just happened?
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter Title Credit: Don't Sleep -- My American Heart

Comment/Rate/Subscribe/Message :) Please.