Status: On Hiatus :( I'm sorry, I'll probably update, but not often.

Heroes, and Their Heroine

What's the Matter With You

I grinned as my dad moved the last of my thirteen boxes into the painted room. The walls alternated between black and red and the ceiling was painted fully black; I had stuck on some glow in the dark stars because the sky wasn't enough. He let out a loud sigh as he fell onto the floor, leaning on one of my many boxes, feigning exhaustion. He took off his cap and wiped the imaginary sweat on his brow. "Why do you have so many things?" he whined. I giggled from my place on my new bed, setting down my worn copy of Pride and Prejudice. It was ten at night, and the stars, as cliche` as it sounded, shined brightly across the sky. Now I knew why he chose it here in Forks, Washington.

"You bought them all for me," I shrugged simply, chuckling at his tired body that now lay sprawled across my hardwood floors. "You know, I never asked you to bring all my boxes here," I pointed out. "Each time I even tried to grab one, you'd shove me away."

He sighed. "Yeah, well I'm regretting it now."

I let out a laugh and sat next to him, opening my first box. "Your fault," I reminded. I reached in and pulled out the first thing my small tanned hands touched. A picture frame. I smiled sadly as tears slowly started go gather. My father noticed my strange silence and sat up, he too, wore a small sad smile.

"Your mother was a great woman, monkey," he whispered, taking the wooden picture frame out of my hands, pullling me into his arms. He held me comfortingly as I cried. "She was, but she wasn't meant to be great by my side." I stared at the picture, a distant memory coming to mind. My father and mother sat under a tree, with me, their little four year old Maria May Maden, sat in their laps. My dad took out a camera, and asked a random stranger to take it and they kindly did. That was twelve years ago, when everything actually made sense to me. Now, it was just a big blur.

My sobbing slowed to a stop, only the occasional sniffing could be heard. "Dad, are you really okay with getting the divorce?"

I looked up to find his green eyes slightly red as he looked down. He let out a long sigh and made me stand up with the picture frame. I just stood there like an idiot while he walked out of the room, only to come back with a hammer and a nail. He waved them at me, "Where do you want to hang it?"

I stared at him questioningly and smiled slightly before walking to my window bed and pointed on the wall, above my feet if I were to sleep. I wanted to see our happy faces before I closed my eyes and woke up to reality. He smiled and hammered in the nail and let me hang the picture. I smiled when I stepped down, my dad slinging an arm over my shoulder, kissing the top of my head.

"It does get hard, monkey, I'm not going to lie to you," he started as we both stared at the picture longingly. Our once happy family was now split, just in the blink of an eye. "I loved your mother very much and to let her go is quite unbearable -- more so than it seems. She just...needed to live a normal life; one without a vampire husband," he chuckled spitefully.

I looked up to him to find him staring out the window. "Your mom and I just couldn't get along anymore, unfortunately. Monkey, don't hold this divorce against her because I know you do."

I shook my head. "Her being happy with another man does bother me dad, and so does the fact she can throw away a seventeen year marraige down the drain so easily for a man that was supposedly a 'fling'. I know it's not easy dad, I don't think it'll get easy until a while from now."

He nodded, clearing his throat. "So how do you like Forks dear?"

I shrugged, thankful for the change of subject, "I've only been here for a couple of days painting my room. But is there a Spoon around here too?"

He rolled his eyes at my weak attempt at a joke, "Spoon? Really monkey?"

I giggled childishly and lay on the floor, staring up at the little and big stars that were littered across my ceiling. "Pft, come on -- like you didn't think of it! Who in their right mind, names a town Forks, where it's green all around?"

His jaw dropped in fake shock, "Forks is a cute name to call a town, Maria!"

I snorted and looked up at him, "Cute? Since when did that become a word in your vocabulary?" I asked jokingly. Dad laughed and patted my head.

"Yeah, you're right," he mumbled. "Oh, did I mention we have neighbors?"

I sat up and began digging through the opened box again, planning to get at least some unpacking done tonight. "Nope; do you know who they are?"

He shook his head, "Nah, I just spotted a white glass house near by. It's in walking distance. The scents are quite familiar though; I suppose I'm getting a little too old, eh? I can't remember."

I scoffed and smiled up at him, taking off that cap and messed up his hair affectionately. "Ah, Daddy, you'll always grow old; you can't die remember?"

He huffed but kissed my forehead and headed out of the room, "Whatever you little monster. For a sixteen year old, you act like you're ten," he mocked with a smile. I giggled again and moved to lay in my bed. Although I was half a vampire, there were things that I still needed to do; sleep and eat. I did survive off of blood like Dad, but I didn't need to feed as often as he did. "Good night, monkey."

I pretended to yawn, "Mm, night King Kong."

He shut the door behind him and I turned to my side, staring out the window. I remembered that little coffee shop not too far from here and quickly got up, slipping on a hoodie, some socks and my lovely worn Chuck Taylors. I creeped out the window and made that ten minute walk down to, Darcy's Corner, as I remembered. The coffee shop bell echoed with a ring as I stepped inside, shutting the door behind me. Black and white tiles strectched across the beige colored room in a checkered pattern, shiny but scratched with the heels of many customers, I'm sure. Black leather booths lined up one wall while small white tables with enough room for two, lined up against the windows that were framed with pink paint. I smiled and took a seat at one of the tables, next to the window; this place was small, quaint and homey -- I like it. The diner was empty with the exception of the staff and a few customers down a couple of seats from me.

"Hey there, darling; it's kinda late for you to be out," the waitress smiled, pulling out a notepad. She wore a blue dress that ended at the top of her knees, a white apron tied around her waist. Her green eyes glowed with happiness and her red hair fell over her shoulders in gentle curls, "but I'm Darcy and I'll be your server, what can I get 'cha?"

I smiled back and looked up at her, "Hello, I'd like a cup of hot chocolate please."

She eyed my small frame slightly as she scribbled across the sheet of paper, covering it in black ink, "Nothing else, baby girl?"

I shook my head, "Nah, I had dinner already. I just couldn't sleep."

She nodded and placed the reciept on the table as she went to go make my cup of hot chocolate. I sighed as I watched her retreating figure disappear behind the counter and into the kitchen area. Drawing my attention to the view outside the window, I let out another long, quiet sigh.

Memories of my once happy family were still fresh in my mind and as I sifted through every single detail I could remember, I just could not see where or how it all went wrong. From the day I was born, up until the day they told me about the divorce just a couple of months ago, there were no hints that my family would split. I just didn't understand.

"Maria," my mom, Ellen, said softly, knowing that my inhuman hearing would allow me to catch this; she sounded sullen. I sat up and tilted my head.

"Yes Mama?" I called out.

"Come down here, baby. We need to talk."


I should have known that those four little words would be the beginning of the end. I distinctly remember making my way down the dark hallway out of my room and into the living room. Dad was glaring out the window, sitting away from my mother, Ellen, who had another man next to her, his arm draped daintily around her waist. A cold shock had shot through my body, spreading flames like wild fire as I frowned, taking a seat next to Dad.

"Your father and I are getting a divorce," she told me, eyes sad as they gazed at me and my father. My brows furrowed in confusion and anger, my eyes beginning to narrow as they watered slightly, another weakness for my half-vampire self. "We just fell out of love."

I let out a scoff, my rude and distant demeanor taking a hold of me as I crossed my arms over my chest, leaning into my seat. "We? Or do you just mean you?"

She sat there quietly, and my eyes trailed over to the hand that was around her waist, subtly rubbing small soothing circles at her hip. I scowled. "What is wrong with you? How can you even allow him to walk in here when your family is here?"

My father rest a hand on my shoulder, although he kept his angry, hurt gaze out the window, "Cool down, Maria."


Darcy came back, placing the slightly steaming cup in front of me with a napkin and a small spoon. In front of me, I watched with a slight smile as she shook a can of whip cream, spraying a swirl over the drink. She gave me a wink, "You looked like you had a lot on your mind. I've learned over the years that whip cream is a huge help. Just leave the cup and the cash on the table when you're done sweety. It's alright."

I grinned thankfully as she walked away, takin my spoon and scooping up a some whip cream. My tongue licked at the spoon, clearing it of the sweet taste. My grin settled to a soft smile, "It does help a little." I scooped up what was left of the cream and slowly drank my hot chocolate, slightly scorching the back of my throat with its heat.

I shrugged off his hand and stood up, fists clenched tightly in my hand. I glared at her, taking in deep breaths as I silently seethed. Tears slowly streamed down my face, "I can't calm down when I learned that the woman who taught me my values and morals certainly has none of her own! How can I calm down when the woman who birthed me, became a whore walking the streets. Tell me mom," I hissed. Her brown eyes snapped up to meet mine in anger as she opened her mouth to speak; to salvage whatever strand of dignity and integrity she had left. I cut her to the chase though, "Was this guy a good fuck? He rich? What?"

A gasp left my fathers lips as my head snapped to the right, a slight stinging sensation gracing my right cheek. My mouth dropped open a bit, letting out puffs of air. I kept my wide eyes down, staring at the white carpet. Slowly, I raised a hand to rest on my cheek, flinching slightly as I felt the skin smart. "Don't you dare talk to me that way, young lady!" she huffed angrily. "I am still your mother!"

My dad slipped a protective arm over me and glared at her. He inspected the small red patch of skin on my cheek swatting away my hand, "Some mother," he spat. "Don't you dare lay a hand on my daughter."

She glowered, "She is my daughter too; I birthed her."

I let out a soft dubious chuckle, "I find it amazing how you think you can call yourself a mother after cheating on your husband and telling us that you're leaving." Slowly, I looked up to my dad and gave him a small, teary smile before pulling out of his embrace and walking soundlessly towards the stairs. "Mothers don't walk out on their family."

I shut the door to my room, but I heard my dad telling them to get out. Feet shuffled across the floor as he slammed the front door behind them. "What's the matter with you, Ellen?" he mumbled sadly as he walked into his room from what I could hear.


Heaving a sigh, I placed my empty cup on the table. I dug through my pockets for the exact amount of change and slipped the money under the cup. Walking out of the shop, I waved a goodbye to Darcy. I walked slowly, my senses alert. I felt calm though, as I left. I smiled to myself; I just found a little piece of tranquility in that little shop and made a mental note to go back there every day.

Slipping in through my window, I changed into a pair of pajama pants and one of my dads college sweat shirts before heading to sleep.

Ugh, I had school tomorrow.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hm, so she discovers her new favorite place on earth; a quaint little Coffee Shop a little ways from her own home. Convienient I'd say.

Chapter Title Credit: What's the Matter With You -- NeYo.

Thank you LifesMusik for the comment :) And thank you all for reading this story. Perhaps if I get more comments or rates/messages, I'll post up the next chapter. Emmett makes his appearance in the next chapter!