Status: On Hiatus :( I'm sorry, I'll probably update, but not often.

Heroes, and Their Heroine

Surrender

I practically ran home in the trees, for once cursing myself for being only a halfling. I didn't have the super smelling or speed. I ran as fast as my little legs could carry me, jumping over logs that seemed to litter the forest. By the time I was home, I was breathless. I made my way up to my room quietly, my dad shooting me a questioning glance as I walked slowly up the stairs.

"You alright?" he asked, tearing his eyes away from the Doger's game.

I shrugged, exhaustion taking a toll on me, "Yeah Kong. I'm good. G'night."

Before he could say anything else I darted into my room and stripped myself of my dirty clothes, slipping into a gray cami and blue plaid pajama pants. I leaned against the wall of my bed and stared out the window directly next to me.

He kissed me. Sucked my blood a bit, and kissed me.

I'm not sure whether he just wanted the blood or the kiss; or both. I let my finger tips trail over my lips in a daze. That kiss was my first kiss. Certainly memorable, I'll say. I groaned to myself as I felt the butterflies soar again, like they did at the diner.

Slowly, I moved to lay in my bed, choosing to stare at my ceiling.

"You can't fall for him," I said to myself. "You'll get hurt. Love is not an option."

---Emmett McCarty Cullen.---

I sighed as I slipped into the diner, slipping on the black apron around my waist as I headed to the back to clock in. Darcy told me I work on Monday's, Tuesday's, Thursday's and Saturday's, from four to eleven. I walked back out, smiling at Darcy before I headed to my assigned tables.

This place has been busier since I work here now (no offense to anyone of course). I guess I'm their main attraction. Girls from my school giggled and fidgeted in front of me as they sat in the booth in front of me.

I inwardly cringed and smiled brightly for them, "I'm Emmett; how can I help you?"

A brunette blushed, "I'll have a Ceasar Salad - no tomatoes and a small coke."

The blonde winked at me, "How about your heart on a silver platter?"

Ew. Not going to happen.

I politely gave a small smile and shook my head, "You'll get your salad and you're coke," I said to the brunette, "but you are going to have to order something else, that's on the menu."

She pouted but nodded, "I'll have what she's having then."

"Your order will be up soon then." At the tip of my head, I walked away to the kitchen, taping the sheet of paper to the wheel so Sammy, the cook, could get to making that salad. I stared at the door, smiling to myself when I saw who just entered. She cringed at the fullness of the normally not-so-busy diner, but made her way to her usual window seat. I frowned to myself though, thinking about the past couple of weeks with said girl.

Awkward. Uncomfortable. Quiet. Weird; this has been my relationship (however non-existant as it may be) with Maria for the last two weeks.

She has been avoiding me like I had the plague, shying more away from me than before. I never regretted kissing her though; that kiss made me realize that I really, really did like her. Not just because of her scent, but because of her personality; bright, bubbly, beautiful. I blew that though -- now she won't even look at me, much less carry a conversation with me.

Sammy called out the order and I brought the food back to the table, ignoring the flirtatious stares I received as usual and headed back to the counter. Darcy eyed me curiously as I stared off, "You alright ther Em?"

I shrugged half-heartedly, "Pft. Sure."

She grinned and inserted the cash from her orders into the register. "Then why you all sigh-y and stuff? It's that Maria girl, ain't it?"

I raised a brow, trying to act inconspicuous, while my insides churned delightfully at the sound of her name. "Why on earth would you say that Darce?"

My new friend chuckled knowingly, "I'm not stupid," she sang, walking around the counter to assist the newest customers. I rolled my eyes and let my eyes drift across the diner again. Almost every seat was taken today, it was mostly teenaged girls at our school, the jock-boyfriends following like pups on a leash. They'd shoot glares at me every now and then because their girlfriends, one way or another, would flirt with me.

I scoffed to myself at the thought. It wasn't my fault they couldn't keep their girls. I heard someone clear their throat and I looked up to find Maria, staring shyly at me. My own eyes widened as I stumbled for a response, "Uh, yes?" I shut my eyes and cringed at the stupidity dripping from those two small words and corrected myself, "I mean, how may I help you?"

Maria gave a small chuckle before shying away again. She waved the receit Darcy gave her and slid it on the table, moving to dig through her bag for some exact change after she pulled out the dollar bills. I watched and smiled with a nod as she slid the change onto the table before moving out the door with a small wave.

I stumbled and frowned. Not even a word. Seriously, I was getting sick of this. I pocketed the money and shouted out to Darcy that I was going on a five minute break and made my way quickly around the counter and out the door before she could protest, catching Maria by the wrist. Her brown hair swayed with the sudden stop and she turned to glare up at me, then at my hand and back again.

"You gonna let go anytime soon, Emmett?" she frowned. I shook my head.

"This is getting ridiculous!" I huffed. "Why won't you talk to me?"

She pulled away and began to walk again before I stepped in front of her, holding her by the shoulders. "Don't you even try to escape this one. I think I deserve an answer you know."

Brown eyes rolled to the back of her head before focusing again. "Go back to work."

"After this," I said sternly. I could feel the jealous gazes of girls in the diner but ignored them. "Answer me."

She shrugged me off defeatedly, "I don't want to tell you. And I'm not gonna. So get used to it."

"Fine, don't answer me," I huffed. She grinned sarcastically and she moved left, I blocked her. She moved right, I blocked her. She glared at me and I glared back. After this continued on a little bit, I let out a tired sigh and moved out of her way. She walked away, Converse clad feet falling onto the dirt road as she made her way to the car.

I clenched my jaw at the utter failure in attempt to talk to her and went back to the diner, Darcy with eye brows raised to her hairline. She slowly gave me a knowing smile as I put the money in the register. "So it's not Maria," she nodded sarcastically. The thirty-year old woman gave a nod, "Yes, because that little scene that just transpired, clearly told me that your poutin' face ain't about her."

I huffed but said nothing and went back to work.

This day went from alright to crap in a matter of minutes and I had a feeling it was going to stay that way.

She just won't surrender.
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter Title Credit: Surrender -- Cheap Trick.

Thanks for the comments and three subscribtions :) I'm glad some of you like this.
Do me a favor and look at Six Strings, Eighty-Eight Keys, please! It's another idea I had, and if I get a few subscribers, comments and a rate or two, I'll post the chapter up!

Please? :) Thanks for reading; I hope you liked this chapter