The Past Always Comes Back

Settling Down

"You two finally settling down, huh?" Anne winked.

"I've only been gone a year!" I laughed.

Anne smiled. "Well what will it be for you guys tonight?"

We rattled off our orders and Anne's hand flew across her notepad. "I'll save two pieces of pie for you, it'll be on the house." She smiled and walked off to the kitchen.

"Is it as weird for you as it is for me to be back here?" I mumbled.

Nate laughed. "Yeah, although I was only gone a month or so."

"You actually understood that question? I don't even think I understood it myself," I giggled.

He smiled and shrugged.

"It's just a strange feeling, how people know us. I'm used to everyone ignoring each other, and shoving through the crowded sidewalks trying to get somewhere. No one stops to chat, or waves from across the street at you." I said comparing my old home, and my home now.

Nate nodded, "It's very different. But I'm glad we're here."

"I don't know about glad. It doesn't quite describe my feelings right now... more like scared." I winced.

"Oh come on Maya! It will be alright." He grabbed my hand from across the table and squeezed.

I bit my lip but didn't have time to answer because Anne appeared with our food.

"You two together now? Just like we all knew would happen eventually!" She said when she saw our hands.

I blushed and smiled. Nate nodded a tiny grin on his face, too.

She handed us our food and then brought us her famous apple pie.

----

"It's beautiful here. I think I forgot all about that." I whispered as Nate and I walked hand in hand along the sidewalk.

Bright twinkle lights lit up the town, all stringed from shops and buildings to the gazebo that stood in the center of town square.

"Well, there was a lot on your mind last time you were here," Nate said looking over at me.

I nodded as James face flashed through my mind.

Nate stopped walking and pulled me into his body. He hugged me tight and whispered in my ear, "Don't think about it. You have moved on, come so far."

I nodded. "I have. It is over and done and I can relax now."

We started walking again but I stopped abruptly.

"N-nate," My voice was shaky, as he turned and looked at me confused. I pointed across the road, at the woman standing in the bakery with a little girl holding her hand, and a baby boy in her arms.

Nate's mouth formed a small O, and he was speechless, just like myself.

My own sister stood talking to the baker, holding tight to her daughter and son.

I didn't even know she had had another baby. I eyes watered as I looked at the little girl, who I only knew was my niece by the chocolate brown eyes that now starred back at me.

"Lyla." I whispered as the little girl smiled at me, not knowing who I was.

I almost forgot Nate was beside me until he spoke. "Tanya... she had her baby boy, Jay, seven months ago." He explained knowing what I was thinking right now.

"Lyla is so big. And the baby, he's so beautiful." My heart hurt from looking at my own sister, happy with her family, and without me.

Slowly Tanya turned around, and her eyes met mine. At first her expression was blank, but then she rushed out of the shop, pulling Lyla's hand.

"Maya!" She said and suddenly she had one arm around me hugging me against her.

"Tan," I breathed hugging my sister.

"I didn't know you were home! Oh, Maya." She said kissing my cheek.

I smiled and looked her over. Her hair was darker, her eyes brighter. She wore a simple pair of jeans and a black top under her grey tweet coat.

"It's good to see you, Tan." I said.

"You haven't called! I haven't called!" She exclaimed, "I'm sorry!" She babbled hugging me again.

"It's okay," I said overwhelmed by everything. My sister had another baby. My sister was talking to me. My sister was hugging me. This was all so weird. We used to hate each other, we haven't talked since she moved out, which was seven years ago. When I moved out I lost all means of hearing anything about her, since I didn't live with my parents.

"Nate? Nate!" Tanya said turning to him, she embraced him in a quick one-armed-holding-baby hug.

"Hey Tanya," He smiled and squeezed my hand a little more.

"You're coming home right? To see mom and dad? Oh they will be so thrilled!" She talked fast. "You should stay with me, and I'll take you to see them tomorrow morning!"