Status: Completed

The Howling

The Howling

His razor sharp claws were ripping out the poor deer’s stomach, causing the blood to squirt everywhere and stained his beautiful white fur coat. His breath was heavy and fast, his chest was moving up and down. He looked so hungry and tense, the hair on the nape of his neck were all standing up. His white fur was covered in blood.

Alex stood in silence, drowning in terror. She stared at the creature that’s feasting brutally in front of her. Hedrus’ gray eyes were glowing, reflecting the night’s moon light. But those eyes weren’t warm and sweet as usual. They were hungry, furious, and full of desire to feed itself with blood and raw meat.

The sound of Hedrus’ chewing stinged Alex’s ears, disgrasping her stomach and her mucles went in to spasm. She couldn’t move her body. She’d frozen there, her eyes were on Hedrus and his prey. I can’t run, she realised. If I run, he’ll run after me and I’ll be dead. She dug her brain, desperate for a way to escape the horrifying scene.

Suddenly, Hedrus stood up tall on his two back legs. His left paw held the deer’s head. Alex felt like her blood had stopped flowing. She stood there in shock, waiting for something, anything, to happen.

Then, under the shining light of the full moon, Hedrus let out a long, blood-curdling howl. A howl that broke the woods’ silence that night, a howl that could make you feel like someone’s ripping your heart out of your chest.

Alex’s officially terrified now. Her whole body was shaking like mad, her eyes were directed to the howling monster, sending chills down her spine. With a large full moon on the background, the scene looked even more scarier.

Alex started to sweat. She couldn’t pull her eyes off Hedrus. She couldn’t believe that one of her best friend - whom she had a little bit crush on – was actually a werewolf. Not that she didn’t like werewolves. She just didn’t understand why Hedrus hadn’t told her that before. Horrified, she took a step back as quite as possible, avoiding Hedrus to hear her. When she put her foot on the ground, she accidentally stepped on a small twig.

And it made a loud crack.

All of a sudden, Hedrus’s white head turned to the source of the noise. His eyes caught Alex’s figure standing there, scared to death. Alex’s heartbeat stopped, her whole body was limped. Great, she thought to herself. Now what?

Hedrus’ eyes stared at Alex, full with desire to kill. He took a small step forward, Alex took a big step back, and stepped on a twig again. And made another loud crack noise. Hedrus’ pointed ears stood right up, and he started to growl. His drool flowed from between his fangs and dripped to the muddy ground. He’s obviously hungry, and Alex looked like pepperoni pizza to him.
Alex was still standing there, face to face with her werewolf friend. That is, if Hedrus still remembered who Alex was.

Suddenly, a small voice appeared in Alex’s brain. It sounded like a whisper, but it was clear and it sounded worried. Run!

Alex didn’t move a muscle. She was too scared to move. Her whole body was shaking harder. The voice shouted again.

Alex, Run!

She’s still freezing. Hedrus moved closer towards the frightened girl.

Go, Alex!

Alex’s heart started tapping fastly. Unsure, she replied to the voice.

What if he chases me?

Don’t mind him! Just go!


Hedrus moved closer. His eyes glistened as he stepped forward towards Alex.

But-

Just go! NOW!


Hedrus was only two meters from her now. And he’s moving closer…

He’s gonna kill me!

Run NOW, Alex!


Closer…

I-i can’t! He’ll chase me!

He won’t! Now run!


Alex killed herself to gather her bravery, and waited for the right time. Hedrus started to growl again, making Alex’s body shake even harder. He stepped closer, and closer, and closer…

Now!

Alex turned her back fast and ran as quickly as possible, trying hard not to look back. As she predicted, Hedrus ran after her, throwing the deer head until it landed behind a large oak tree. He growled and howled, his paws were kicking the ground hard. His muscles and nerves tautened as he ran through the cold winds of the night. A snake almost bit him when he ran across a pile of leaves, but he didn’t seem to mind. His mind was focused on Alex’s movements, how to make his next prey stop running.

Alex ran as fast as she can, she pushed her legs to move as fast as they can. She didn’t even know how many trees she had run passed by. The only thing in her mind is just to escape from Hedrus’ chase. She tried to accelerate, but it was harder than she expected.

She had run for about half an hour through the woods when she started to feel exhausted. Her black Ramones shirt was soaked by sweat, and her left calf was starting to feel sore. She had pushed her legs too far off limit. She couldn’t run any longer, but she couldn’t stop either. Adrenaline had taken over her body and mind. It forced her brain to command her body to just run and never stop. Don’t let him get you, Al, she told herself. Don’t give him the chance.

All of a sudden, something popped in her head. Something really crazy. Yet stupid. And ridiculous at the same time.

Fight him.

Alex’s running stopped suddenly. She was shocked by the idea that she had made herself, and for a second forgot anything about being chased.

Fight him.

She panted and spun her brain. She thought about the idea for a moment, and then suddenly, she grinned. I have claws, don’t i? She nodded her head, asured herself about the plan, although she wasn’t really sure how she could do it. She turned her head, and gasped in shock.

Hedrus was only a few centimeters from where she was standing, and was going to attack in just seconds. He raised his huge, hairy arms high, showing his claws, ready to turn Alex in to dinner. His eyes glistened in hunger. His huge, white wolf body stood tall in front of her, putting her under his shadow.

That very moment, Alex felt a shock on her arms. It was like as if someone was pricking her with little needles. When she looked, her fingers had all turned in to claws, and her whole arms were transforming in to big, strong dragons front legs. Brass scales grew quickly from underneath her skin. Alex’s pupils changed shape along with her arms.
Hedrus was startled. He didn’t expect his prey to change form. Alex’s change had intimidated him. His pointy ears moved back, and he started panting. But he would never let his prey escape. He growled in anger, and jumped towards Alex.
He didn’t know what Alex had planned.

As fast as lightning, Alex slashed her oponent’s stomach with her long dragon claws. Her attack was so fierce, it created long, X-shaped scars on Hedrus’s stomach. So deep, you could see the wolf’s pink flesh.

It all happened so fast.

Hedrus’ body was thrown away, and hit a huge willow near the scene. His head hit the tree first, causing a large thump and made him constantly unconcious. His body fell to the ground. Blood flowed from his open wound, and his head drooped on the tree’s fat roots. He fainted.

A few meters from the tree, Alex, still over-taken by adrenaline, tried to calm herself down by taking deep breaths. She was standing on her knees, exhausted after being chased by Hedrus. Her body was numb, she couldn’t feel anything. Maybe it’s just the side effect of the transform, she thought. She panted, and looked around. She sighed. Then suddenly she remembered something. It struck her heart like thunder. “Hedrus!”, she screamed. She looked around, and found her friend’s body lying on the ground near a tree, his fur was dirty with blood and mud. He looked lifeless, drowned in the shadow of the dark willow tree. His arms and legs drooped on the sides of his body, even his tail wasn’t moving.

Alex panicked. She quickly lifted Hedrus’ body and put him on her lap. He was so big compared to Alex. His head was twice the size of Alex’s, and his claws were sharper than kitchen knives. Although he looked like a monster, Alex didn’t care. She desperately ripped her own jeans to cover Hedrus’ wound from bleeding, but it didn’t work. She needed Methir, but the problem is, they were in the middle of the woods without anyone else to get help. Her heart was broken seeing Hedrus covered in blood. It wasn’t the wound that made her angry at herself, it was the fact that she was the one who carved it. She slashed her own friend. “Hedrus, wake up. Please!”, she mourned. She couldn’t help herself to hug the wolf’s furry head. She hugged him so tight, in sadness and pain. Her tears started flowing to Hedrus’ fur. “Hedrus, I’m sorry…”

It rained hard that night, showered Alex and Hedrus with freezing drops of water, in the middle of Drondin woods. Alone, in the dark.