If I Said I Don't Care, I'd Be Lying

Chapter One.

You know in the movies where the victim is sitting in the police department awaiting the chief to come in and tell you everything will be just peachy? Yeah, that doesn’t happen. The room I was sitting in was just a gray and dull as any other room in this stupid jail. It was not my fault that I just happened to be in the same place as some famous murder. I think after being forced to attend lame teas with other famous princesses around the globe I should have the right to be able to enjoy myself as well. I am an adult after all, isn’t eighteen the legal age?

Maybe I should have done it with permission though. I will do that next time. But in a country this small, I would never think of a mad murder would come after a bunch of teenagers. I thought that only happened on bad American television.

I continued to twiddle my thumbs; I wonder how livid Father would be with me. Hopefully, Mother would find a way to get me out of trouble. I am usually such a good child. How many teenagers can say they have sat through a four hour speech by the mayor about the country’s peaches and looking (or at least, pretending) to be attentive? Not many that I know of. Well, I don’t know many other teenagers besides the other princes and princesses around the globe, but they aren’t that much fun anyway. They, like me, always have to act prim and proper, a little bit of slack could destroy the whole country’s reputation, or so says Father.

The door opened, and then chief walked in, he looked like a fat potato with a mustache, and behind him was Father. He was dressed in ordinary people clothes, usually it is quite humorous, because Father always arrives at breakfast at seven am sharp wearing a suit. But in jeans and a polo he looks like anyone else but Father. Father reminded me of a very old lion, well a very old lion with thinning hair. He was quiet and wise, but usually quite comfortable company. However, on this occasion, well, he looked about as happy as he did when he found out that the oil from the harbor had leaked and polluted the water. He took the seat where the chief would normally sit, and took off his glasses placing them next to a file of paperwork, folding his hands he asked,

“Candace, do you care to explain to me why you are sitting here?”

“A series of unfortunate events.” Innocence would be the best card to play in this situation.

“I will not tolerate your cynicism, young lady.”

“That was not cynicism was the truth.

He combed his fingers through his white hair. I held back a sigh. I did not commit any felony, and all I want is to return to the palace and have a bath.

“You were supposed to be with the guards.”

“The guards are extremely dry.”

“You escaped from the movies and went out gallivanting with… with whomever you were with to do what?”

“We went to the shore, now that’s not such a crime.”

“It is when you are the Princess of this country!” He roared, and the lion has awakened.
“Candace, do you understand why that man killed so many of those innocent children?”

“His mind is illogical and incapable of assessing situations? Or perhaps he finds death amusing.” At this, Father folded his hands back and looked me straight in the eye.

“Candace, be reasonable, he wanted to kill you.” For some reason, this thought had not occurred to me before. “You are the Princess, you are worth at least ten million dollars,” his voice was rising again, “if you were captured,” he paused for a short moment, “this is exactly why you have the guards to keep you out of harms way. Why is this so hard for you to see?”

I could admit the truth and say I had not thought of the idea that I am worth so much. Father brushed of his shoulders and stood up from the chair, leaving it to swing in circles.

“You are going to tell Chief Fruan exactly what happened that night.”

Oh shit. That might not be such a good idea.

“Where will you be going?” I asked.

“To comfort your Mother.” He left the room, he did not slam the door behind him, but the click of the door was like a slap to my face. The Potato took his chair back. I resisted rolling my eyes. I am in enough trouble already. I look at the clock behind him; two am. I could be here for hours.

“Princess Candace, this will be a recorded session, you are not under oath, but from your Father’s warning, I would advise you to answer as if you were.”

Really? No, actually I was planning to make up the whole story, so you and the rest of the work force would get back to your croissants, I thought.

“Indeed,” I reply curtly.

“What happened at eight pm tonight?”

“I left the palace in the limo with my two guards. I wore a change of clothes underneath my dress. We went to see a film.”

“You planned this from the start?” I thought police were supposed to be intelligent.

“Yes, I did.”

“Who were the children you were with tonight?”

“Children from the area; I did not know any of them personally and none of them knew me.” The Potato looked skeptical. Actually, that part as the truth, none of them knew who I was. I mean someone said I looked a lot like the Princess Candace, and I laughed but why would I sneak out just be ogled at?

"Where were you at ten pm?”

“After I had left my security behind, I took a cab and went to the ice cream parlor down on tenth, where I met up with some of the children, and they were planning to go down to the shore.”

“Sheer luck.” Oops. “I mean, I went to the restroom and escaped out the window.” I shifted in my seat, which was rather difficult, the jeans I was wearing were still filled with sand, ocean and possibly blood. The Potato was going to play cat and mouse all night, and I have no patience for incompetent people. I am taking this matter into my own hands.

“Alright, I will just tell you what happened. We went to the shore, and we were going swimming,” Well, actually skinny-dipping, but that is not important, I added mentally, “then someone heard a gun shot from the beach, so a couple of people swam in to the rocks. The mad man shouted he was going to find her no matter what it took. He would rip each of us apart until he found where she was. A few of us swam out farther to the buoy, and stayed there. The man was yelling and the gunshots could be heard, in the background sirens of the police squad cars were coming. The men attempted to chase him down, and you know the rest of the story.”

I let the mockery of his squad’s failure to attain the murder sink in. Nevertheless, Chief looked very amused as if he knew something I didn’t.

“Then why were you indecent when you came back to shore?” Oh. That’s why. He took my silence for an answer. He took out a hand drawn picture of a man. He had a short forehead and small slits for eyes, and a butt chin.

Oh, isn't he quite attractive. I thought miserably.

“This is the man who killed your friends.”

“Officer, forgive me, are you insinuating, that I am the one to blame for the deaths of these people?” The fat man’s eyes twinkled.

“Of course, not Princess.” You fat bastard. “However, your poor judgment was caused some thought in the police force about what we are going to do for your safety.”

“Well, yes security measures should always be on the highest alert.

“In fact, we had a different idea.” We? Who is we? The door opened again, shaking the blinds. Mother and Father came in. Mother’s honey golden eyes were dried and bloodshot. Her curly brown hair stuck to her face, she looked like a broken china doll. Father was standing silently like the wise lion. I looked at them both. Mother and Father took the seats beside me. Mother grabbed my hand squeezing it tightly.

What is going on?

“Would you leave us in peace for a moment, Chief?”

“Of course, Your Highness.” He made a deep bow. What an ass kisser. The blinds were ruffled again as he closed the door on us.

“Candace, darling. I am sorry, but your Father is sure this is the best way. We aren’t disowning you. I would never do that. You are free spirited just like I was, it’s not a sin.”

“Marie, please.” Father’s gentle voice smoothed her nerves, as she let go of my hand.

“Candace, you know how much we love you. This is not out of spite or hate, although we are very disappointed in your act tonight.” I stole a quick glance at the clock, three thirty am.

“We have decided to have you live in America for a while.”

What? That’s not too bad. I mean, America has its upsides.

“You, however, will not be royalty. You will have a new name, a new hairstyle, a completely different persona, and you will be attending American College.”

Uh. No.

“No, that is the most absurd idea. I live in America to go to school?”

“Not just anywhere in America; Los Angeles. It is large there would be security to follow you around discreetly of course. You need to be away from here until we find this man, Candace. Your safety is of utter most importance.”

“But-”

“No, there is no ‘but’ this is final. We are going to tell the public you are doing mission work in a disclosed place. You will be able to choose your name, your whole new persona; you may shop for new clothes. This is what Americans call ‘The Witness Protection Program’. It isn’t forever; this will be a wonderful experience for you." Mother started to cry all over again, grabbing my hand.

What? This doesn’t seem real, I steal another glance at the clock; it is four am.

“Everything you choose to buy will be shipped to your apartment. Your plane leaves at six pm tonight. Mother will stay with you to help you with your hair and your clothes, but this is the last time you will see us for quite sometime. I am sorry, Candace.”

I have never heard my Father say he was sorry before; it is not a very King-like thing to do. He stood up, and I did the same hugging him, he was a bit boney but he was still my Father. He kissed me on the head. The blinds were disturbed once more.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is just a drabble, the beginning of an idea.
It is suppose to be confusing, and make you wonder what is going on.

I am not sure if I plan to continue this just yet...