Outside Looking In

Uno.

I sat in the library doing some research for the midterm history project, when I felt something hit me in the head. When I looked around there was no one there. After a moment I gave up the search and went back to my computer, pulling out my notebook and beginning to write down some notes when, again, I was hit in the head. My eyes quickly darted around the library to see two guys sitting there laughing at their little game they found.

“Jocks, ugh how I loathe them.” I muttered and closed out of the Internet then moved to the books, finding very little on the topic I was researching.

Guess I should tell you a little about myself, shouldn’t I?

Well, first off my name is Jewel Davis and I am a junior at Ashcomb High, home of the Bumblebees. Woo. Yeah, I know I don't have much school spirit but when the jocks act like they do around me you wouldn’t either. Plus it doesn't help that I am completely horrid at every sport and the ball comes directly at my face no matter what. As for social status, I have none other than geek, nerd or other low names like that.

Anyways back to the story…

“Yo geek, wanna do my homework for me?” The king of the jocks, Brian, asked, sliding into the seat next to me. I turned to him.

“Excuse me; can't you see I'm busy?” I asked and he laughed rolling his eyes and putting his arm around me. I grimaced.

“Aw where’s your sense of fun?” He asked and I sighed closing my book, turning to him and taking his arm off me.

“Yeah and where are your ears? I. Am. Busy.” I said, enunciating every word. He rolled his eyes, pushing his paper towards me. I shook my head, shoving it back towards him.

“I have my own homework I have to do. The midterm paper in history is due on Friday and I'm only halfway done.” I said and he groaned, giving me the advantage to walk away.

Quickly I put the book back and headed out of the library, only to be stopped by the history teacher himself, Mr. Walters. He smiled down at me, and I was forced to smile up, seeing he was a good six foot three and I was only about five foot five.

“Ah, Miss Davis. Just the girl I was looking for. I have a favor to ask of you. There’s a student in need of bringing his grades up and since you are the highest ranking in the class I was hoping you could help him out.” He said and I nodded.

“Okay. That shouldn’t be too hard, who is it?” I asked. Mr. Walters paused, fixed his shirt and cleared his throat before answering me.

“Mitchel Musso.” He answered.

I felt my jaw drop to the floor and heard my brain screaming at me to say no. I couldn’t tutor Mitchel Musso. I was Jewel Davis, Queen of the Rejects. He was Mitchel Musso, King of the Populars. We weren’t supposed to talk to each other, let alone have to stay with each other for however long it would take for his air-headed brain to grasp history!

“What about me?” A voice asked, bringing me out of my thoughts. I turned to see Mitchel standing there and I picked my jaw up off the floor and composed myself.

“I just asked Miss Davis to be your tutor for the remainder of the semester.” He answered and Mitchel groaned, vocalizing my pain also.