Status: Hiatus.

The Dark of the Night More Inviting Than the Sunlight

Chapter Twenty Three; The Tension.

Jeph's Point Of View

Fuck.
I saw them, I saw Dawn and Branden kiss. My heart ached and one tear fell from my eyes. I silently shut the door and made my way through the corridors and I passed Bert and Sky sitting on a bench being all cuddly.

Ugh, did they have to look so in love? I couldn't stand it at the time. I angrily wiped away that small tear, who was I kidding? I'm old and she's... wonderful.

Sky's Point Of View

I inhaled Bert's scent with a content sigh as I smiled a bit.
Things couldn't get any better, right?
And nothing could destroy what I had now, right?

All good things come to an end.

No, I'm not going to think like that. I looked at him, studied his beautiful face, his blue eyes were locked on something else. I followed his gaze and frowned as I saw that he was staring at Dawn with a weird expression on his face.

Was something wrong? Nah, I was probably being paranoid.
The day went by, Bert and Dawn still glancing weirdly at eachother. Something was definetely wrong, I could tell. I frowned and felt a bit down, Bert was not like he used to be, he was lost in thought all day. When I talked to him he would barely respond.

Was I not good enough anymore? My shy side took over me for just a day, I had learnt to hide that side of me and I always seemed to be rather happy with myself.

As we sat in the canteen you could feel the tension, it was so thick that you could almost touch it. "What happened to your eyebrow, Dawn?" Bert asked her, still looking at her like she was a new person. "I fell out of bed, silly me" She replied, as she bit her lip.

I could not take sitting there anymore when no one actually said anything, so I hastily stood up and left. No one followed me, luckily enough. I decided to climb up that tree that was right outside of our school, it's really great, you can see everyone else but no one can see you.

I watched as Bert, Dawn, Quinn and Dan soon enough made their way out of the canteen and I could hear Quinn asking "Hey... where did Sky go?"
Bert only shrugged "I dunno, when did she leave?"

Tears rolled down my cheeks, he didn't even notice me leaving. I know I might sound all egoistic, but if you were me, I think you might be feeling the same as me.

Now, how did I feel?
I felt useless again, not wanted, and I was seriously doubting myself and everyone else. Was I not a good friend? Did everyone actually hate me? And only faked around me?

Quinn looked around whilst the others were talking to eachother. His gaze stopped at me, looking me directly at me, he looked surprised, and he cocked an eyebrow as if to ask me why I was sitting there crying.

"I think I---" he started, but I put a finger over my lips to stop him from telling the others where I was hiding.
He gave me a suspicious look before walking away, you could tell that he also knew that something was up.

Something I wasn't allowed to know, that only Bert and Dawn knew. I felt my heart being ripped a bit.
I decided to go home, there was only one class left. English. I was already way ahead in that class, I think I can skip one lesson.

I started to walked home, saddened by today's events.

Why do all good things come to an end?

That song has been stuck in my head all day.
"Sky! Wait up!" I heard someone yell, it was Quinn. "Hey, wanna come with me to the lake?" He asked "I think we need to talk a bit, it's been a while since it was only you and me you know" He continued with a playful wink.

I smiled warmly and nodded. We sat by the beautiful lake and just talked, I felt myself getting tired. I leaned on Quinn's shoulder and sighed.

"Why's everything so weird in school? Do you know?" I asked, because he had to had noticed that something was up. He shook his head "I have no idea, I guess they'll tell us when they feel like it's the right time" He said with a shrug.

"I had forgotten how nice it was to sit here" I sighed, "I wish we were little kids again, we had so much fun! Right, Quinn?" I asked with a grin.

"Yeah, that was before we had even met Dawn or Dan... weird, it seems like we've known them forever." He replied with a confused frown. "Well, then we've known eachother for forever and a day!" I said jokingly.

"Indeed, Sky" He smiled at me and pecked my cheek. "I remember the times where you could still see your freckles... now they're all hidden behind makeup!" Quinn responded with a smile. "Yeah, I don't even think that Bert knows I have freckles, I always wear makeup around him..."

"Try not to have it?" Quinn asked "I mean, you're cute as you are, Sky" He continued.

"I feel so ugly without it, and vulnerable... It's just something you get so used to doing everyday. Besides, I like feeling pretty"

He just shrugged and stared at the sun reflecting itself on the water.

"It's pretty nice around here if you think about it" I said

"Yeah... I guess, but still I can't wait to get out of here" Quinn replied with a sigh as he rested his chin on his knees.

"We can go now if you want to...?" I asked jokingly. "Ha-ha-ha, very funny!" He replied, messing up my hair.

"You're the bestest guy friend a girl could ask for, Silly" I spoke whilst poking my tongue out.

"Right back at you!" He yelled before jumping into the water.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you so much for reading and commenting (you know who you are (; )<3

BTW, dear readers, I never thought I'd like the band Avenged Sevenfold, but yeah... I like what I've heard so far! :D

Yay me? ;)

xo,

Alex.