Status: Hiatus.

The Dark of the Night More Inviting Than the Sunlight

Chapter Five; Plaster Bandages.

Dawn's Point of View

We were having a really good time at Quinn's house just chillin'. The guys were taking their turns at playing video games with Quinn's younger brothers Ian and Riley, while I and Sky sat on the couch flipping through music magazines and just talking. "So what are we going to do about PE?" I asked, causing Sky to sigh deeply.

"I guess we'll just have to go."

"Well if we got hurt... Like broke our legs or something, we wouldn't be able to participate, right?" Her eyes grew wider and she burst into laughter.

"You can't be serious! So you mean that we should actually break bones just to get out of gym class? Sounds awfully painful, don't you think?" I shrugged in response, smiling at the inner image of us turning up in class with plaster bandages. That's when I came up with an even greater idea than actually breaking our bones.

"Eureka!" I called out getting up from the couch, which resulted in me getting odd glances from everyone in the room.

"What?" Sky practically shouted in my face.

"We'll fake it!" I exclaimed. "We'll just put on a plaster bandage and pretend that we're hurt!"

"You're a fucking genius!" Sky jumped up and hugged me.

Bert started laughing his ass off in the same moment he heard this. "Are you really that desperate to get out of gym class?"

"Do you really think that's such a good idea?" Bert asked critically as he watched Quinn and Dan helped us applying the wet plaster bandages. Soon I had a package on my right foot and Sky one on her left one. "You're going to regret it, just saying!" Bert laughed. Quinn had found a couple of old crutches laying around in the family's garden store and once the bandages had dried we stared practicing walking with crutches. It was harder than we'd first thought and we both started to consider whether this was a good idea or not.

"What are you going to say to your parents?" Dan asked suddenly, causing us both to fall into a laughing pile on the ground.

"God, we're so stupid!" Sky said smacking her forehead.

"My father's out of town, so you could always call your parents and ask if you could sleep at my house," I suggested.

"Okay!"

"But for how long are you planning to wear those things?" Bert giggled. "Either you have to tell your parents sooner or later, or you're going to get busted Like I said, you're going to regret it."

"Shut up Robert!" I snapped, realizing that he was right. I turned to face Sky. "What do you think we should do? Give in or just go for it?" She thought about it for a minute before she answered.

"Well, I really don't want to have PE tomorrow..." she said and I nodded in agreement. It was settled then; we'd just go for it.

***

Physical education was our first lesson on Friday and we hardly made it on time. Mr. Howard was just calling my name in the same moment as we got to the class that was gathered in front of the gymnasium.

"Good luck, you'll probably need it," Quinn greeted us with a smirk.

"Yeah, I'm here," I said ignoring Quinn's comment. Mr. Howard looked up at me with a surprised facial expression, but his face dropped at the sight of the bandage on my foot.

"What happened to you?" he asked suspiciously.

"Well, I was about to cross the road when a car appeared out of nowhere and ran over my foot last night." I said, trying my best to make it sound trustworthy. I was starting the get cold feet about this and it didn't get better when he noticed that Sky too was wearing a bandage on her foot.

"Ms. Stevens, I presume that your foot also was run over by a car last night?" he said with an amused smirk. It was pretty obvious that he'd known what we were up to before we even had the chance to put on an act.

"Actually that's not the case. I fell down the stairs you see and broke my ankle," Sky really tried her best to make it seem like she was telling the truth. But we both realized that it was all in vain.

"Okay class, run two lapses around the gymnasium to warm up," Mr. Howard ordered the class and then approached us. I held up my hand to my mouth to stop myself from laughing at the whole situation. How naive we were to think that this was really going to work. "I got to admit, girls, that you've really made an effort there," he actually laughed. I noticed that he had a beautiful smile and a wonderful laughter. "I advice that you two go to the janitor's office and ask him to get those removed, before anyone get hurt for real."

"But sir," Sky objected. "We're actually telling the-" I couldn't help it, I just started laughing so hard I barely could breath. "-truth..." she finished a bit dejected, making me laugh even harder. Sky started laughing too as we started jumping our way to the janitor's office on our crutches.

"So, what happened to your bandages?" Bert asked casually at lunch and we started throwing grapes at him. "This only confirms how right I was!" he teased, hiding behind Dan's back.

"Well, at least we got out of gym class," I said hitting him in the eye with a grape. He was about to say something in response, when I noticed that he was looking at something behind me, a wide wicked smile forming on his face.

"What's up, teach?" Quinn smirked, placing a bright red lollipop in his mouth.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks a lot for reading!
Comments are very much appreciated.

- Hi5ulation.