Fate Is Insanity.

An Accident.

She was breathing. Her chest, slowly moving, up and down. She was alive. Oh, thank God.

“She’s alive!” I said, looking up at the people who had surrounded us.

The man stepped forward, his face a clear picture of relief.

“She is? She’s not dead?” he asked, in a near whisper.

“She’s breathing.” I answered, brushing hair out of her face.

The woman stepped forward now, her arms linking into the man, her walk unsteady.

“We…didn’t kill her?” she asked. “Oh, thank God. We never should’ve driven!”

“Shhh!” the man said, suddenly cutting her off.

I looked up, taking in the picture, realizing what I was seeing.

“You’re drunk!” I accused.

The man shook his head frantically, his eyes wide with fear.

“No, no, not drunk, it was the weather!”

I pointed to the woman with my free hand, “Oh, yea! She looks real sober!”

The woman cowered behind the man; “It was only a few!” she began, starting to cry.

“She could’ve died!” I yelled, pulling the girl close to my chest.

“But she didn’t! And anyways, what’s it to you?” asked the man.

I looked down on her. She looked like she was sleeping. Sleeping in my arms. So peaceful. I wondered again, what was her name?

“Did you call the ambulance?” I whispered, ignoring the question.

There was an awkward pause, forcing me to look away from her closed eyelids.

“Did you?” I asked again.

The woman shook her head slowly, once. “No.” she whispered. “We were scared!”

I stood, pulling the girl into my arms, like a princess in a Disney movie.

“I’m taking her home.”

“She needs a doctor!” cried the man, frantic. “She might be really hurt.”

“It’s no longer your problem.” I said, setting off into the darkness.

“Now listen here!” started the man. “If something is to happen to her…she needs medical attention.”

I turned on my heel, looking him dead in the eye. “I’m sure the cops would like to hear your story.” I accused.

He fell back on that, eyeing the girl in my arms and then turning to his wife.

She was looking at me with her mouth slightly open, in disbelief and shock. “It was an accident…” she trailed into the air.

“No.” I said, turning away and continuing home, “It was fate.”