Fate Is Insanity.

Wet Willy

I do not think that anyone could look as beautiful as she did right now. There was no other person I’d rather have in my bed, lost in a sea of blankets, her hair, sprawled on my pillow.

I was watching her sleep.

I had managed to get her home, into my room and into my bed without waking the house. Her hands were so cold. I bathed them, dipping them into warm water. I did the same for her face and feet. They slowly seemed to warm up, or at least they turned less red. I eased her shoes off her feet and replaced her socks with a clean pair of my own. Next came her jacket. Underneath she was wearing a worn band t-shirt. I didn’t recognize the band, but they looked to be one of those screamy bands. How annoying. And endearing. I draped her coat over my chair and then pulled a warm sweatshirt over her head.

Should I call the cops? The hospital?

She didn’t seem to have any injuries, but what about internal bleeding, or whatever.

She could die.

I bit my lip and looked down on her.

This sounded so stupid, even in my head…but…

I turned to my computer and waggled the mouse, pulling up the Google homepage.

What do I search for?

Brain damage? Internal bleeding? Head trauma?

I sat there, head in hands for a moment.

I needed to call a doctor, I saw that now. What if something was seriously wrong?

But then she would be swept away, away from me. And everything. But what if she died because I did nothing? Isn’t that like, accessory to murder? God, that’s an awful idea. How can she die? She’s so young and pretty. She couldn’t die.

Yea, right. God was a mean guy; he could take her away in the blink of an eye.

She moaned suddenly, breaking the silence. I froze, turning to the bed, nearly dropping out of my chair.

Her eyes fluttered.

I rushed to the side of the bed and waited.
Nothing.

“Um…hey?” I whispered.

Nothing.

I poked her gently in the side. Another groan.

I smiled.

I gently poked her in the cheekbone, and this time her hand twitched.

This was fun.

I licked my finger and rubbed it in her ear, instantly her eyes flew open.

“What the FUCK?” she said, a little too loudly. Her hands pulled on the ear and I began to laugh. She looked at me for a moment and then slowly her eyes took stock of the room around her.

“What the fuck?” she said again, quieter this time.

“Hi.” I said. What else was there to say?

She narrowed her eyes at me and then ran her hands over her ribs, down to her hips.

“Where am I?” she said, feeling her head now.

“My room.”

“Why?” she asked, smiling. “Do you always move this fast?”

I laughed, sending her smile to greater heights. “Only for the really pretty ones.”

“Did that car…hit me?” she said.

I frowned and sat on the bed, noticing that she inched away slightly. I felt a pang, deep in my chest, but I continued.

“They were drinking….”

“Ah.” Was all she said.

“Do you feel alright?” I asked, looking at her inspect her jacket for tears.

“A little sore, as would be expected.”
“No internal bleeding?”

“Can you feel that?”

“I don’t know…I didn’t have a chance to Google it.”

“You Googled internal bleeding?” she laughed.

“No.” I said, smiling. “I didn’t have the chance too.”

“Geeky, much?”

I smiled again, God, she was so funny. So witty. Even after being struck by a vehicle.

“So, you’re okay?” I asked again.

She let the smile slide off her face and looked at me, “Why do you care?”

I looked her dead in the eye and grinned, “Why in the world wouldn’t I?”