Sequel: A Fish Tale
Status: COMPLETE- next one is A Fish Tale

Over the Rainbow

Chapter 12

“She will be tried,” The Apprentice, who I’ve come to know as Johnny told me.

“Not to mention the pride will also be deciding on an additional punishment that is traditional to our culture,” Matt said.

“Wasn’t Akisha your second in command?” Matt, Zacky, Jimmy, and Johnny were all telling me that Akisha would get what she deserved. I just didn’t understand why they were so focused on assuring me, I couldn’t care less; I just wanted to go home.

“Lane, you have to realize that Akisha was a high ranking official who committed treason not only against her pride, but against her entire country. Not to mention how she set you up,” Jimmy mumbled the last part. I raised an eyebrow at him.

“She wasn’t technically my second, that position is reserved for… someone that’s,” Matt paused with a thoughtful expression, “not her.”

“Okay,” I drawled, I reached over to scratch around the bandage that covered the nastiness caused by my IV being violently ripped out of my arm, “But that’s not-“

Zacky wacked my hand away from the bandage, “Don’t scratch.”

“Sorry,” I said before going back to the topic at hand, “I want to know-”

“Most of Munchkin Land is in Emerald City,” Brian opened the door and came in, Pinkly in one arm. He hasn’t put the dog down since he got her back.

Apparently, The Witch didn’t actually dognap Pinkly, she only thought she did. Pinkly was, in fact, planted once the boys found out I had been taken; the tiny dog was supposed to find out where I was and then lead the boys to me, which she did just in the knick of time.

“Why?” I couldn’t help but ask. Zacky smacked my hand away from my injuries again.

“For the ceremony, duh!” Brian rolled his eyes at me and Pinkly yipped.

“Ceremony? What ceremony?” I was so beyond lost at this point.

“Your ceremony,” Zacky said, smacking my hand yet again., “For killing The Wicked Witch of the West.”

“That isn’t necessary,” I held my hands as if telling them to slow down, “I really would just like to know how to get home.”

“Ceremony first,” Brian said as he grabbed my upper arms and guided me towards the door. “Just get it over with, its tradition.”

Although I couldn’t see it, I could hear the smile in his voice. I looked behind me to see the men I had just previously been talking with laughing with each other. It was like a complete transformation. They could be fun loving, go-getter traveling buddies, or hard-ass professionals. It was just weird to see both sides of them in such a short amount of time.

When we stepped outside, there was a big roar of applause and praise from the crowd that seemed to be endless. I could see a platform a little ways off, it had a weird machine on it I couldn’t identify, but somehow I knew that was where we were going. We stopped and let Johnny walk in front of us, Brian literally disappeared and Jimmy linked arms with me. We followed Johnny, while Matt and Zacky followed us. As Johnny neared, the crowd parted perfectly and let us through; I recognized Captain Kirk’s guards lining the walkway.

Eventually we reached the stage where at the bottom of the steps, Captain Kirk himself stood. When we reached him, I gave him a bright smile which he returned accompanying a low bow. I couldn’t figure out how his hat stayed on. We continued onto the raised platform and faced the crowd, making a semi circle around Johnny as he got ready to speak.

I didn’t pay attention to his words, but apparently he was a good speaker, his audience was going wild. I stared out into the crowd and noticed some of them staring back, mostly people in uniforms that I recognized as Matt’s pride. Words couldn’t express how happy I was that I was able to change, I no longer looked like a whorehouse reject. I was currently wearing a white blouse, almost exactly like the one I came in, and long black slacks that covered a great majority of my shoes.

Johnny had apparently released us because next thing I know, I’m leaning on the arm rails of the platform watching the men I traveled with. Jimmy was celebrating with his people, the scarecrows; Zacky was hugging a dark haired woman and child who I assumed to be his wife and son, while those of his pride who were here were congratulating Matt. I think I even saw Brian making out with a girl on his bike, that made me chuckle.

“It’s nice isn’t it?” I raised my eyebrow in question at Johnny who joined me in looking out over the crowd.

“It is,” it truly was a wondrous thing. So many happy faces, welcoming their family and friends back, joining their neighbors in celebration.

“You could stay, you know. I think Matt would be especially pleased if you did- hell, he’d probably give you free room and board,” he gave a short laugh at the last part.
Could I stay? I mean, I already have friends, people who were dependable, smart, funny, loving and caring. If I stayed, I knew I would always be protected and cared for.

Thinking about all that actually made my eyes water, but I knew the right answer, “No I can’t.”

“And why is that?” Johnny asked with a questioning look.

“I don’t belong here. And we both know it wouldn’t be right,” its true. I don’t belong here, and I do know it wouldn’t be right; besides, I’ve fought too hard in my shitty life to stay here. To be in a place where I would probably never have to lift a finger again would be nice at first, but I think I would become mentally unstable.

“Wise decision,” he smiled at me and turned around; I followed suit and saw that Brian, Jimmy, Zacky and Matt were all lined up on the platform, sad smiles on each of their faces. Johnny gave me a pat on the back and motioned towards the four men in front of us. The audience was silent.

“Brian,” I smiled and stuck out my hand to shake.

“Lane,” he said with a broad smile and grabbed my forearm; I gave him a questioning look, “always shake hands like this with those you like. That way, if they start to fall, they’re less likely to slip away. Just say, ‘There’s no place like home’ three times and click your heels. They’ll take you where you need to be.”

We gave each other one more smile before letting go.

“There’s no place like home,” I clicked my heels together once before facing Jimmy, “Ji-”

“Oh Laney!” I winced as Jimmy enveloped me in a hug, disturbing my injuries, but pushed the pain aside and hugged him tightly back. “I don’t want you to go!”

I could hear that Jimmy was crying on my shoulder, and I patted his back; “Come on Jimmy, its time for me to go home,” I paused and said a little more sadly, “I’ll miss you.”

“I’ll miss you as well,” he said and pulled back, wiping his nose with the back of his hand before wiping his eyes with the back of his sleeve. I gave him one last smile and a kiss on the cheek before moving on.

“There’s no place like home,” heels clicked. I stood in front of Zacky a little awkwardly, “Hey, I just want to say-”

“Don’t talk just give me a hug damn it, before I look like the scarecrow,” I laughed as we embraced.

“You have a beautiful family,” I said into his shoulder.

“I know. I’m sorry you couldn’t stay longer to meet them, they would have really liked you,” I smiled as I pulled away, he kissed my temple before I was completely out of reach, “Take care of yourself.”

I just nodded at him, and watched as he walked down the steps, joining Brian and Jimmy on the ground.

“There’s no place like home.”

Then it hit me.

These guys were like my family. Even though we’ve only been together for the past several days, it seems like I’ve known them a whole lot longer than that. Zacky was the over protective older brother, Jimmy was immature little brother, still older than me, and Brian was the awesome cousin who lived just down the street. And Matt, Matt was…

“Hey,” Matt said as I stood in front of him.

“Hey,” I gave a small smile. We stood there awkwardly for a few moments before I broke the silence, “I’m sorry about disturbing the order of your pride.”

“Lane, how many times do I have to tell you? Akisha would have eventually been punished whether you came along or not- though I’m happy you did,” he smiled shyly.

“You know what?” I smiled back, “Even though this little adventure has been absolute hell, and I passed out a lot, I’m happy I came along too.”

We smiled at each other for a few long moments before he said, “Oh, fuck it!”

Next thing I know, I’m in Matt’s embrace and we’re kissing. I was too shocked to respond so when he started to pull away I was disappointed. So being the smart girl I am, I grabbed the front of his shirt and kissed him. This time, he was the one caught off guard, but unlike me, he quickly got into it. I guess this makes Matt the romantic interest.

I could hear all sorts of applause, catcalls, and wolf whistles coming from around us but I wasn’t paying attention. All I could really comprehend was Matt’s soft lips on mine and the way they seemed to fit perfectly. I can also tell you that this kiss will forever be remembered. There was no tongue, keeping it sweet and not demanding. Sweetest kiss I’ve ever received.

I pulled away from Matt and realized I didn’t hear the roar of the crowd anymore. I also frowned when I could barely see Matt’s face, which was certainly concerned. He blurred out and I started to cry, I couldn’t feel his arms around me, or his body heat, and what freaked me out the most was that even though I was surrounded by total darkness, I knew I hadn’t fainted.

I felt cold and alone as I stood in the black abyss, but somehow, it didn’t bother me. With nothing better to do I walked forward, or maybe backwards- hell, with the way I’m feeling I could have been walking up or down or both at the same time. The point is I walked. I walked for what seemed like years, but at the same time only a few short moments. The distance was great, but non-existent, almost like walking on a treadmill. And the creepiest part of it all was that I was watching myself walk, so when I saw myself begin to blur out I really freaked.

When I blinked and finally opened my eyes I realized that, once again, I was in a new place. A place that I despised. I wanted to rip the cord out of the heart monitor just to stop that obnoxious high-pitched beeping. I looked around the room and saw that it wasn’t a private room, but the other bed was unoccupied. There were a few bouquets on the counter and get-well plushies.

When I looked to my bedside, I saw an obviously home made card with two stick figures on the cover. I reached over and opened the card, reading its contents. It was obvious that the artist was also the author.

Thank you for saving me.
Love, Ryan


I smiled at the card. More than one r was backwards as well as the only f, too cute. I looked back on the cover to see that the two stick people were holding hands and that one resembled my self while the other looked an awful like the little boy. Both stick figures had smiles on their faces, which in turn brought a smile to my face.

When I pulled the card away from my face, I saw four things that made my breath hitch. The first was a small plush motorcycle with a white dog holding a “Get Better Soon” sign; the second was a small crude robot that read something along the same lines. The third thing was a brain and the fourth thing was a lion holding a card.

Does any of this seem familiar?

Yeah, just a little creepy.

I plucked the card out of the cute little lion’s arms and opened it. It was obvious that five different people had written in it.

One of your friends told me that you like robots and I couldn’t resist.
-Zacky V

I really wasn’t joking when I told you, you had nice legs. Matt told me I couldn’t write that the dog on the bike was just a small taste of you could have if you ever decided to get to me a little better, so I’ll just settle for telling you to get better soon.
-Brian (the good looking one)

Dear Lane,
I just wanted to let you know that you did a very, very stupid thing but you saved a kids life, therefore I’ll let it go. But for future reference, I got you a brain so you could think things through. It’s a stress reliever thing, so squeeze it and its supposed to make you feel better.
Love, Jimmy


I laughed at that one.

Delaney, I picked out the card. Heard you like fantasy, so I this was perfect.

I flipped the card over so I could see the front, which I had unintentionally ignored. It had a wizard on it. I shook my head before flipping the card back over and reading the rest of it.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that you earned a lot of respect for what you did and I can honestly say that the guys and I are pretty excited that we got to meet you. You’re unconscious right now, but I know some one like you wont stay that way forever, so when you wake up I’m pleased to say you have a group of new friends.
-Johnny

I don’t really know what to write, other that get better. In case you haven’t narrowed it down by now, I got you the lion for what it signifies. You did a really brave thing and most people wouldn’t have put themselves out there like that. In case they haven’t told you, one of the heavy plastic signs hit you in the back of the head and that’s what knocked you out. Anyway, below you find a number that I can guarantee all of us hope you’ll call.
Sincerely, Matt

ps
Ignore Brian, he’s a perv. Though he seems to have taken a liking to one of our friends.


I saw that there was indeed a number, which I would more than likely be calling soon. Putting the card back where I got it, I sighed and reached behind me to push the call button.

Thanks to my little act of stupidity, or bravery –whatever you want to call it- a lawyer contacted me. Apparently, my mother had passed not long ago in a car accident, leaving me with all that she had left; the lawyer had been searching, but seeing how I was a run away he couldn’t find me. He said that Ryan’s story had been briefly reported on across the nation, and that was the only way he had found me. Ryan, who was now eight, also wrote to me regularly, and I’ve become a permanent pen pal with his mother as well. She’s a real nice lady.

I also called the number at the bottom of that card, and couldn’t be happier I did. The boys were apparently vacationing in Hawaii after their last show, but that was cut short by the hurricane so they went home shortly afterwards, though they did keep in contact. We became good friends and eventually I even moved back out to California to be closer to a certain singer. Let’s just say that wedding bells are definitely looking to be a lot sooner than I ever expected.

Who ever said happy endings didn’t exist?
♠ ♠ ♠
So! The end. I don' much care for the ending but what ever.

ANYWAY! finally its over! I'm going to concentrate on my other stories for a little while and then another installment for this series will be put up. In case you didn't know, this was just the start of short stories with pretty much the same people in each one, all stories based off the cheesy Disney version of some fairy tale. Next one is my version of the little mermaid, ZV. so if you want to check that out stay subscribed and a notification will be sent out telling you there is a sequel to this story. that's where it'll be.

anyway! Off to clean my room then work on my other crappy stories!
<3

Thanks To:
evencrayonslaughatme
CharmedAngel88
The_Used
Damsel Of Darkness
DaniVendetta
McLovin Gates
ZeroCool6661
Poison_Ivy

may not be a lot of people, but you guys are now all officially cool just for giving this wannabe story remake a chance. Ya'll are bomb-skeet!

And you to Silent Reader. Thank you.