Sequel: A Fish Tale
Status: COMPLETE- next one is A Fish Tale

Over the Rainbow

Chapter 7

“We’re off to see the wizard, the wonderful wizard of Oz,” I stopped singing lowly to myself, halting to inspect the regal looking building in front of me. I figured if it looked this much better than the rest of the city, then it must be important. “Hopefully they can get me out of this mess…”

I found my resolve and made my way up the large foreboding steps and into the majestically arched entryway. I pushed on a glass door, entering and immediately feeling embarrassed. Little people were quickly making their way in every which direction, all looking prim and proper in their unique to them green clothing. My dirty ensemble stood out conspicuously as I towered above the workers.

I went up to a desk where a busy looking little lady sat scowling over the papers in her hand, “Excuse me?”

I waited a moment, but she obviously ignored me.

“Um, excuse me,” I tried a little demanding tone, she only raised her eyebrows.

“Excuse me Ms. Prest,” I was all but shoved aside as a familiar voice and body made itself known, I could only feel my frustrations rising, especially when the woman behind the counter responded.

“Akisha! My dear, how are you?”

“Same old, same old. And you? They aren’t working you too hard are they?” Akisha said, I could see the smirk as she looked at me through the corner of her eye.

“It’s been quite a busy past few weeks, but nothing I can’t handle. So tell me, how is your endeavor with the General going? Any luck?” Endeavor with the General? Matt?

“Matt’s showed some interest, up till lately that is,” the lioness sneered the last part. “A newcomer has been encroaching on my territory.”

I popped my hip out and raised an eyebrow in amused frustration as she made a pointed look at me. I could see the little person behind the desk look at me too. I faced her fully and she took the opportunity to scrutinize me. She made no effort to hide distaste as she inconspicuously eyed me.

“Don’t worry dear,” Ms. Prest looked back at Akisha and smiled encouragingly, “I don’t think you have anything to worry about.” I scoffed at this point; “What can I do for you?”

“I need to see The Apprentice,” I couldn’t help but snort a laugh at the image of Donald Trump’s comb over which popped into my mind’s eye as she spoke. “I believe the General, as well as Dr. Baker and Dr. Sullivan are in there with him.”

That shut me up.

I had already figured out that Matt was the General. And I had a feeling that Dr. Baker was Zacky, I mean, it would make sense. As for Dr. Sullivan, Zacky had said that Jimmy was head scientist in Crow Valley, so I guess that solves that. My only question now is why they left me behind.

“Of course, they’re in the conference hall, you know where that is,” the little person smiled at my now declared archenemy.

I could throttle her.

Both of them.

They pair exchanged a few more smiles and laughs before Akisha walked off. I was about to follow her, we were going to the same place after all, but the little bitch behind the counter stopped me.

“And just where do you think you’re going?” she gave me a hefty glare over the spectacles she adorned on her upturned nose.

“To see the fucking wizard,” I said sarcastically. Apparently I insulted her.

“You listen and you listen good,” she pointed a finger at me and spoke through pursed lips, “You are going no where near that conference room. So I suggest you go back to the brothel you slinked out of. You look disgusting and I can guarantee you, your kind isn’t accepted here in such a professional environment!”

I was completely flabbergasted. I stared at her for a moment before turning and looked at the reflection of myself some distance away. I looked tired, and my hair was loosely in its bun, wisps of hair were all over the place. My white top was dirty and the top few buttons had popped off at one point or another and gave a great show of my cleavage; the large slit running up the left side of my pencil skit nearly showed my underwear and gave a nice show of my thigh. The ruby red hooker shoes didn’t help my case at all. But over all she was right, I looked like I just walked out of some cheap dirty brothel.

“Listen lady,” I sighed, running a hand through the top of my hair, “I feel like shit. I am not in a good mood right now and I just want to go home. The only way to do that is to see this damn apprentice everyone keeps talking about.” I had started of low, but my voice was steadily rising. “On top of all of that, I have that damned bitch Akisha on my back for no friggen reason and you shoving your snobby opinions about something you know nothing about down my throat! Let me see THE DAMN APPRENTACE!”

I was huffing and leaning on her counter as I finished my rant, gathering a small crowed in the process. The woman in front of me seemed speechless.

I thought she was going to let me in until she called security, who then gently and kindly showed me out the back door. When I say gently and kindly I mean man handling and forcefully. I figure they must have been in Matt’s pride, but I was only going from the military uniform and ears and tale- but I could be completely wrong.

Now I’m sitting in a grungy alleyway behind the nicest building that I had seen in town. I rested my head in my hands and let out a long breath, things couldn’t possibly get any worse.

“What’s a pretty young thing like you doing in a place like this?”

Apparently I was wrong.

The man in front of me wasn’t like the little people who roamed the streets. No, this man was probably an inch or two taller than I, even with my shoes on, and had a sleazy, grease ball air to him. It was rather disconcerting.

“Honey, I can give you a roof over your head and food in your belly. All you have to do is work for it, and with your looks, sweet cheeks, it shouldn’t be too hard to get clients. All you have to do is prove to me you can do your job well,” he gave me a smile that told me he thought he was being a good Samaritan- and that he was going to get some sexual favor out of me.

I scoffed and started to stand, “Listen mister, I appreciate the offer- I really do- but I have better things to do than give creepy old men blow jobs for a bite to eat.”

I may have come off as a bit cranky, but if you felt like I did and then were propositioned you would be to. I guess he didn’t like my answer because his face twisted from his creepy smile to a sinister one.

“I wasn’t offering,” he said and I suddenly felt like I was two inches tall even though I was looking him directly in the eye.

I went to start my escape but he grabbed my arm. I yelped and struggle in his tight grip, but he managed to grab my other arm and hold my back to his chest. I could feel his excitement in the small victory, but it was short lived. I stomped on his foot and tossed my head back into his face, he let go and I ran. I could here him cursing as I ran down the alleyway. He yelled something out and all of a sudden my exit was blocked by some gangly looking dude- I didn’t stop. We barreled towards each other in a game of Chicken until he leapt for me.

You know how when you were a kid, and there were smooth hard wood floors, so you run and fall to your knees to slide? It’s a lot of fun gliding across the smooth surface; it’s not a lot of fun when you’re sliding on your knees across pavement littered with small, sharp objects and rocks.

I choked back a small scream as the pain radiated from my legs as I slid under the creepy man, it may have hurt like hell but worked and I was able to get away. Or at least I got a head start, though I don’t know how much it’ll actually help due to the monster shoes.

I shot out into the streets getting odd looks from the people- mostly short but some tall- as I forced my way past them. I heard a shout as I turned a corner, I looked over my shoulder for a split second to see that the creepy man and his accomplice were accompanied by a third party. They ran towards me and were gaining ground fast- too fast.

I was never very athletic, and running in high heels wasn’t ideal to my situation but I managed not to eat pavement so I guess things were fine- for now. I took an immediate left and started running down another alleyway, hoping to get the three creeps off my trail, but I should have known better.

A hand shot out from behind a dumpster and grabbed me and it threw off my momentum, causing me stumble and cut my hip on a jagged piece of metal sticking out from the dumpster. The man gripped both my upper arms as he brought me closer to him; he looked no better than the creeps previously on my tail.

“Hey there swee- ” I kneed him in the groin, enabling him to finish. I looked back to where I had just come from and saw the men point towards me, I grabbed the edge of the dumpster and tried to pull myself up but slipped and ended up cutting my arm- I really couldn’t tell you how deep it was, just that it was adding to the growing pain that I now call my body. Trying one more time and effectively pulling myself up, I took off for the other end of the alley. They had gained some major ground while I was distracted and I was beginning to get concerned.

That’s a lie- I was already scared shitless and crying shamelessly as I ran from them. Crying and running probably wasn’t the best idea; when I cry my vision gets all blurry and my head gets stuffed up making it hard to breathe. These side affects aren’t helpful when I need to see to get away and breathe so I can continue to run.

And then, to complete my day, it started the rain. I almost stopped to look up. This place is indoors, how the hell is it raining?!

“Hey!”

I could tell it was one of the creepy guys and so I pushed myself harder, pumped my legs faster. When I turned the corner, I slipped on the wet pavement and fell, scrapping my palms on the ground as well as my exposed thigh. I bit my lip and scurried behind a small metal trash can and curled into a fetal position behind it. I wrapped one arm around my knees and used the other one to cover my head; subconsciously I think I was trying to become as small as possible.

I swear to god I kept myself in that tight position for half an hour, only then did I feel I could risk relaxing some. It was also when I felt the full extent of my injuries and groaned. I straightened my legs out in front of me, my shins were shredded, or so it looked. I happened to fall on the side with the slit so that entire thigh was angry looking and bleeding much like my shins. Next I inspected my palms, which looked like my shins and like my thigh, my left arm was torn up as well; my right arm had a long gash running its length, I assumed it was from when I slipped on the dumpster. Lastly, and probably the worst of the damage done to my body, was my hip. I say hip, but it was a little higher than that. My white shirt was no longer white anywhere near that cut.

I let out a shaky breath as I drew my legs back in to retain some warmth. I was freezing, much like I had been when we were stuck in that blizzard; the only difference is that I don’t have Matt’s warmth to give me some comfort.

How long ago had that been? It’s been hours. Mere hours since we walked into the city. I grabbed my stomach as a sudden pain shot through it. How long has it been since I’ve eaten? Since I met Matt… so days. How could I forget to eat, I love food!

Days. Just days. Days since I met Jimmy, days since I met Zacky, days since I met Matt.

But how many days?

I guess it really doesn’t matter, my problem lies in the present not the past. Though, this incident reminded me greatly of the streets in Hawaii.

Oz may be a beautiful place, but just like any other city, the streets are trouble.

And that’s were I find myself often.
♠ ♠ ♠
So its been a while. Sorry.

I know this chapter is a bit darker than previously but I felt like the story needed some bite. Tell me what you think, because it really is important.