The Young and Lost Club

025

The first week with Brendon was busy but fun. Our first objective was to get all of Brendon’s instruments (and good lord did he have a lot of instruments) out of storage and to clean out the storage space in general, which had a lot of random crap from previous tours. Spencer came and helped out, still being extremely polite and nice to me, and it was actually a really good time.
We spent the next day, with Brendon packing and me doing his laundry from tour and then going to his parents house to spend time with them. We also spent a day babysitting Liz’s kids, which was a lot of fun, and they started calling me Aunt Clark, something Brendon and I didn’t correct or discuss. My love for Liz only grew the more I hung out with her. She and I and Brendon’s mother went out one day for lunch, and I could just see why she was Brendon’s favorite sibling. His mom on the other hand was a little tricky. I think it was because I knew a lot about her and her issues with her son, and I couldn’t help but feel like she was disappointed that he was in a serious relationship with a girl like me: not close with her family, in a band, lived with a bunch of guys, not very religious. I was exactly the type of girl she wouldn’t want around. I just hoped that in time, I would feel more comfortable around her.
We then went out to Los Angeles to see Ryan, who lived in a small house out there. We were joined by Spencer and we spent two days waiting for Jon to fly in. Brendon and I also managed to spend time with the guys of All Time Low who were also in Los Angeles, although Alex was acting different from his normal self. Jack said he was on his period. By Saturday, we had moved all four of them in to the cabin they had rented out in the middle of nowhere in California.
It was a beautiful place, surrounded by peaceful woods, and the house itself was charming, with a screened in porch, several fireplaces and a nice kitchen. I could see why they wanted to work out here, it was secluded and lovely, perfect for inspiration. Maybe someday the guys and I could do something like this.
I was busy making dinner the first night we were there while the guys were fucking around with their instruments, just having a jam session of random and silly songs, when Brendon walked in, wrapping his hands around my waist, and resting his chin on my shoulder. “Can we go for a walk? I just want some alone time with you.”
I laughed, turning around to kiss his cheek. “Sure, but I’m cooking dinner right now.”
“Come on, kid, Jon will finish,” he pleaded.
I gave him a skeptical look.
“No, seriously. Jon!” He yelled. “Come finish dinner!”
There was a moment’s pause. “Okay!” he yelled back.
“See?” Brendon said, smiling. “Let’s go!”
I rolled my eyes, dropping the knife I was using to chop up vegetables. “Let me get my shoes, silly,” I said.
Five minutes later, Brendon and I were walking along a trail, talking about their new album. “Our first attempt was total shit,” he said. “Seriously, it sounded like a movie soundtrack. I mean, Ryan’s lyrics were good, it just wasn’t…hey look!” Brendon exclaimed, stopping mid-sentence; it was times like this I noticed his ADHD. I followed where he was pointing to see a huge field of dandelions, all puffy and white.
I laughed at his excitement over a field of flowers. “Very pretty,” I agreed.
“Let’s go sit!” He exclaimed excitedly, yanking on my hand and pulling me towards the field.
“In a field of weeds?” I said skeptically, but following him all the same.
Brendon rolled his eyes, as he took off his hoodie and spread it on the ground in the middle of the field. “Always the pessimist.” He said, teasing me, and giving me a quick kiss on the lips when I made a face at him.
We sat down, holding hands and we were quiet for a little bit, just enjoying being with one another. “I’ve never liked dandelions, really,” I said finally.
Brendon laughed slightly, plucking up one of the flowers, a perfect little fluff ball, twirling it in his fingers. “Why not?”
“They’re just kind of sad,” I said with a shrug. “I mean, the whole purpose of them is to get destroyed so they can grown more of themselves. Isn’t that a little tragic?”
Brendon laughed again, leaning back slightly, tilting his head up and blew on the flower gently, so the seeds floated into the sky. “It’s not tragic, it’s beautiful.” He corrected me. “Because each one holds the potential to make a wish come true.” I laughed and he glanced up at me grinning. “Each flower, is a wish waiting to happen.” he said.
I studied him for a moment, loving how sweet he was, how he always managed to surprise me with his answers, how he always took my little morbid and dark thoughts and made me see things in a totally different way. Even if he simply changed the way I thought about a stupid flower. He was so beautiful, inside and out. I never could figure out what he saw in me, but I was beginning to believe that he cared just as much as I did. I would give anything to make him smile, to make him happy, because his happiness made mine.
I smiled at him again, my heart suddenly feeling very, very, full, and picked a flower of my own, studying it for a minute before blowing off all the seeds.
“What did you wish for?” Brendon said, resting his chin on my shoulder, his lips brushing my neck.
“Absolutely nothing. Everything is perfect right now, I don’t want anything else.” I said, and it was 100% true.
He beamed at me. “I couldn’t agree more,” he said and leaned closer to kiss me, but I stopped him. He looked at me confused. “What?”
“I love you,” I said quietly.
Brendon froze for a moment, his huge eyes getting even wider, his mouth opened slightly, and if it wasn’t such a serious moment, I would have laughed.
“I just thought you should know,” I said, now becoming nervous, because I hadn’t planned on him not saying anything. Brendon always had something to say. “Ok,” I said laughing nervously. “If you could just…” But he cut me off, by kissing me fiercely on the lips, both his hands holding my face in his hands.
He pulled away, a huge smile on his face, it was probably the happiest I had ever seen him. Even more than the time he found out that channel 208 on my TV played Rugrats at 3 am. “Clark,” he said, still holding my face in his hands. “I love you too. I…I,” and he started blushing. “I think I’ve kind of loved you ever since I saw you.”
I choked. “Really?”
“Well…yeah,” he said, still looking sheepish.
I didn’t know how to respond to that except to kiss him, nearly tackling him to the ground. And we didn’t care that we were full on making out in the middle of a field where anyone could see us, and we didn’t care that in two hours, Brendon would break out in a rash all over his chest and back because he was allergic to grass. We didn’t care because we were in love and we were surrounded by unbelievable possibilities.

|||
“You all have been gone quite a while,” Jon said when we walked back into the house. “Your dinner is cold, Clark you have twigs in your hair…Brendon are you broken out in hives?”
“Hey Jon, go away,” Brendon said, but he was still smiling. We both were. I’m sure we looked like idiots.
“Let’s get you some Benedryl,” I told Brendon, then we’ll hang out with Jon since he’s obviously jealous we didn’t invite him on our walk.”
Jon stuck his tongue out at me. And I smiled and blew him a kiss before Brendon and I made our way upstairs. I handed him the medicine from the cabinet, while he sat n the counter smiling at me. “I love you,” he said, taking the pills.
“I love you,” I said.
“I love that now I can say I love you,” he said brightly, swallowing them, ignoring the cup of water I held out to him.
“And I love that you love that you can now say I love you.”
“Well, I love that you love-“
I kissed him, to make him shut up but also because I simply couldn’t help myself. “Let’s go hang out with the guys for a while,” I said. “You’re going to pass out after taking Benedryl.”
“Oh, alright,” he said.
We ended up playing random songs together, each of us taking turns to name a song and then, the four of them kept rotating who would sing, Ryan and I playing acoustic guitar. To my surprise, Jon and Ryan actually weren’t bad singers. Brendon had told me that Ryan had originally been the lead singer, so I knew he wasn’t awful, but I was still surprised. Spencer on the other hand…was a mess. But it was all in good nature, and we laughed it off. “Now Clark,” Jon cried.
I laughed. “No, no, absolutely not, I’m awful.”
Spencer glared at me. “Hey, I just sang, now it’s your turn.”
I turned red. “Please don’t make me sing. I’m not kidding, I’m horrible. It’s embarrassing.” At that exact moment, Brendon let out a gentle snore, he had been laying his head on my shoulder and I suppose had finally fallen , and all three of them looked at him sympathetically. “He’s sleeping, come on, we should just go to bed.”
“You win this time, Clark,” Jon said, pointing at me. “But tomorrow night, you better warm those vocal chords cause you’re singing.”
“Yeah, sure, Jon.” I said rolling my eyes.
“Do you want me to wake him up?” Ryan asked me, gesturing to Brendon.
“No it’s fine I’ve got it.” I told him, smiling. I told them all good night and they went upstairs, while I sat on the couch, gently running my fingers through Brendon’s hair.
His eyes flickered open. “Did everyone go to bed?” he asked, rubbing his eyes.
“Yeah,” I said. “You ready to go to bed too?”
“Not until you sing me something,” he said, grinning mischievously.
“You were awake?” I said, laughing. “You jerk!”
“Hey, I saved you from having to sing in front of everybody, at least sing for me.”
I gave him a nasty look.
“I love you,” he said in a sing-song voice.
“Ugh, hand me the uke.” I said, shoving him off the couch.
He laughed and handed me his ukulele. I sighed. “No laughing, you promise?”
“I would never,” he said seriously.
I sighed again, and then started playing “Sea of Love” which was the only song I could think of that I wasn’t horrible at singing because I could sing it low. I didn’t look at Brendon the entire time, and I could feel my face turning more and more red as I went along, until I finished it short. “And…yeah,” I said awkwardly.
“You’re amazing you know that?” Brendon said slowly.
I rolled my eyes and looked at him. “Come on, Bren, don’t humor me.”
“I’m not. That was perfect, and real, and you should never be ashamed of singing, because it’s beautiful,” he said.
I didn’t know what to say so I simply smiled at him. “Let’s go to bed, okay?”
We went upstairs and brushed our teeth and then slipped into bed, but I wanted to be close to Brendon, so I snuggled up next to him and he wrapped his arms around me. After a few minutes of quiet, Brendon suddenly said, “I can’t believe this is real.”
“What do you mean?”
“Just…I never thought…when I dated Katie, I always nervous, always thinking I was going to lose her, always worried. But with you…I just feel so calm. And I think it’s because, well, obviously because I love you, but also because, I just see a future with us. I mean, I looked at her and thought, ‘what if we don’t make it?’ and I look at you and I think ‘I can’t wait for what happens next’. I’m not freaking you out, am I?”
“What? No, of course not,” I said. “I feel the same way. It’s calm, it’s soothing, I’ve never been with someone I thought I could be with for…forever. And I feel that with you.”
Brendon sighed happily, kissing the top of my head. “You’re my one,” he said contently. “You understand me, you make me feel like…like I’m not…”
“Alone,” I finished for him.
“Exactly.”
“I love you,” I said, relishing in the fact that now that it was out, I could say it whenever it popped in my head. “You’ve changed me so much, Bren, you have. I’ve spent most of my life being miserable and scared and I don’t feel that way anymore. I felt so lost all the time, and now I have you.” I think it was the most personal thing I’d ever told him. But for some reason, in the dark of this room, with his arms around me, it came out so easily. Since our trip to Maryland, I wanted him to know everything about me.
As I lay there falling asleep, I couldn’t get the image out of my head. Brendon and I. Together. Married, even. I never thought I’d be the type of person that got married. Or let alone have a serious boyfriend. And here I was, in the arms of a boy I was so in love with that I knew I wanted to spend the rest of my life with. It was practically a fairy tale.

|||

“Don’t leave,” Brendon pouted. “Just stay here with me forever,” he said in a sing-song voice.
“I don’t want to leave,” I told him truthfully. “But I’ve got to go home so I can be a rock star too.”
He smiled. “That’s true.”
“Now boarding, Flight 743 to JFK,” The voice on the loudspeaker said.
I frowned, flicking my head towards my gate. “That’s me.”
He sighed, giving me a big hug, resting his chin on top of my head. “I’ll see you soon?”
I nodded. “Yes, we’ll figure it out.”
“Okay,” he said. “Next time let’s not have any big revelations or secrets, okay?”
I knew he meant it as a joke, but it still stung, because the way he said it came out as slightly bitter. I thought he had forgiven me. I stiffened.
“Come on, kid, it was a joke.”
“It wasn’t funny.”
He rolled his eyes. “Don’t be all uptight about it, it was a joke.”
“You have to forgive me for it.” I said.
He tilted his head. “Can we not argue right before you leave? It was a joke, babe, I’m sorry.”
I swallowed and shook my head. “You’re right. Sorry, just tired, I guess.” I was tired. Jon and Ryan insisted on keeping me up until 3am, drinking and playing truth or dare while Brendon was asleep.
He kissed me. “I love you.”
I smiled. “I love you too.”
“Call me when you land safely, okay?”
“I will.” I hugged him again, and gave him another kiss. “I love you.” I whispered in his ear.
“Love you more.”
It wasn’t until later in the flight that I realized he had side stepped the issue, and I wondered if he would ever forgive me for keeping my secrets from him for so long.
♠ ♠ ♠
She finally told him she loves him! And it only took 25 chapters haha.
I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel here. Most of the rest of the chapters are already written. I seriously can't believe it.
But no worries. There will be a sequel, although not about Clark, although she will pop up from time to time. Also, I have a new story up called Social Suicide, which is a Alex Gaskarth high school story, which I will continue to work on and update.
Comments? Questions? Concerns?
Love you all,
Sophie