Dance in the Rain

Wordspill

It was raining and they were dancing. Clothes soaked and hair dripping, they just didn’t care. They were alive. Everything in them was jumping for joy and exalting as their bodies became drenched.

She couldn’t remember the last time she had so much fun. She knew it had been awhile though. The past year had been so difficult starting with a simple doctor’s appointment. She was in remission though and the doctors had hope. They’re hope gave her hope.

He paused briefly and watched her. With her head tilted back and her arms stretched out as she spun in the falling rain, he was entranced she was the most beautiful creature he had ever seen. If everything went as planned and life didn’t take another sharp twist, he might ask her to marry him because really life was too short to be wasted. They both knew that better than most people.

He’d been in and out of hospitals since he was thirteen. It’d been two years now since the doctors were offical in their report about needing a new heart. For two years he had waited. A heart hadn’t come yet, he was still waiting. And watching as she healed and became better.

Cardiology and oncology, the two wings were a little ways from each other, but they both had come to know the boredom of hospitals and had chosen to wonder. That’s when they’d found each other. He’d been cocky, she’d been sweet. Some days he would hold her while she cried, others she would hold him wile he held back. Sometimes there were good days though when there was no crying, just laughter. Those were the best days. It was days like today that he knew were good, although he was sure the doctors wouldn’t be happy about them being out in the rain. It was only one storm though, what could one little rainstorm do.

Rebecca stood before the open casket, her warm hand holding his cold one. They’d said that she shouldn’t blame herself, that it was him. What they hadn’t told her was that moments before he died a heart had come.