Of Cabin Nooks and Highway Blues

1

Sitting at the edge of the pickup truck’s bed, with his hands stuffed into the pockets of his dark jean jacket, Eric watched as the students walked past. No one really took much notice of him, figuring he was just another student. Every once and awhile though someone would take a glance his way and he always made sure to wink if that person was of the female populace.

Finally a flash of long auburn waves caught his eye and he hopped off the bed. She was the one he’d been waiting for. Actually she was the only reason he was at the campus during his spring break. Her back was to him as he walked over to where she and her friend stood talking. They were laughing at something he hadn’t heard. Then her hazel eyes caught his green ones.

“Well, hello, handsome.” He saw as she blatantly looked him up and down, he only returned it with his trademark grin. Then she turned around.

“Oh, hey, Eric.”

“You know this handsome man?” the hazel-eyed girl questioned.

“Man? Maybe, handsome, no. But yeah, I know him.” Eric brought a hand over his heart in an effort of dramatics.

“Not handsome? My dear sister, I’m hurt.” She cracked a smile, but then looked at him and shrugged.

“You’ll get over it.”

“Wait, this is your brother? I have to say I’m surprised. For some reason, by the way you talked about him, I expected him to be…younger.” Eric rolled his eyes. He hated when his sister did that. It was true, she was older than him, but only by a few minutes.

“Why are you here, Eric?” Evelyn asked, tired of not getting to the point of his visit. She loved her brother, she really did, but he always had a knack for getting himself into trouble.

“Well, it’s spring break up in Toronto and you know, I figured why not come back to the states for the two weeks, visit my family, see some friends and maybe go on a roadtrip.” Evelyn gave him a curious look.

“Road trip?” she’d always loved road trips, even with her brother. There was something about being on the open road with the wind blowing her hair and music pouring from the speakers.

“Yeah. Friend of mine gave me to the keys to his family’s summer home and said I was free to hang out there over break. It’s in Maine, so we’ll have a nice drive.”

“Got room for an extra body?” Eric glanced over at his sister’s friend. He was slowly finding her to be a little annoying, but he could handle her.

“You bet, by the way, I don’t believe we’ve met.” She smiled as she pushed a strand of black hair out of her tanned face.

“I’m Cara, Evy’s roommate.”

By the time the day for departure arrived there were six people in the road trip party.
♠ ♠ ♠
Let us know what you think, Joint story