Of Cabin Nooks and Highway Blues

2

"Give me the trail mix!" somebody shouted in the backseat. Eric suspected it was probably Dawn who said it, seeing as it was her somewhat high and definitely girly voice. Plus, as Eric had learned a few hours ago, she loved trail mix.
He looked over at his twin sister, who had her eyes closed and was leaning on the headrest. Her earphones were secure in her ears as she listened to whatever song it was. She was deep in thought.
"No! You have your own!" the distinct male voice of Ryan sounded behind Eric and the sound of crinkling paper was heard as he clutched the bag to his muscular chest. Eric sighed. This sort of thing had been going on since they left over three hours ago, and right about now it was driving him berserk.
"Will you two just give it a rest already!" a female voice said, and by the sound of it, was Nara. He looked in the rear view mirror. Sitting behind him was Ryan, spiky brown hair with blue eyes and lots of muscle, typical jock, who was holding a trail mix bag and was looking behind him. Dawn, right next to him, had brown hair with grey eyes, cheerleader, and was copying Ryan's actions of looking behind her. They were both glaring at Nara, a girl with black hair and hazel eyes, who ran more with the Gothic crowd. Sitting next to Nara was Cara, Evelyn's roommate, who was sleeping.
He threw Nara a grateful look, and she nodded as Dawn and Ryan turned around and started again. He looked through the windshield at the scene before him. Desert stretched for miles on end. In the distance, you could see the sun setting, outlining a mountain. They were currently driving through Nevada, or a stretch of it.
"Come on! Just give me the trail mix!"
"No!"
"Now!"
"No!"
"NOW!"
"NO!"
"Shut it both of you before I pull this car over and make you WALK back!" Eric shouted, and glared in the rear view mirror at the two. They looked at him shocked. "Am I clear?" they both nodded, and they both simultaneously slumped in their seats, crossed their arms, and turned to glare at each other. This time, Nara was throwing him the grateful look. He nodded and looked back at the road.
"Having fun?" an amused Evelyn said, and he looked at his sister. Her eyes were closed still, the headphones on still, but she was smirking at him. "Oh yes. I'm having just a peachy time with four people who I don't know. Just lovely." he said sarcastically, and her smirk widened into a smile.
He looked back at the road. There was a strange little light in the distance, and for a moment he couldn't figure out what it was. He squinted harder and after about a minute or two of it getting closer, he figured out what it was.
"Is anybody hungry?" Eric asked, relieved to have an excuse to get out of this cramped space, even if only for an hour or two. He sighed as he thought of all the driving that would have to be done to get to Maine.
"Yeah, sure! Since Ryan won't give me any trail mix...." Dawn said. "You have your own...." Ryan reminded her softly. Eric looked in the rear view mirror to see that they were both glaring at each other. Dawn opened her mouth to say something, but before she could, Eric said, "Guys....." and they both turned to face the front and crossed their arms, doing so at the exact same time.
He shook his head and looked at Nara inquisitively. She shrugged her shoulders and he turned to look at Evelyn. She had her eyes open and was looking at him. "You up for food?" Eric asked her, and like Nara, she shrugged shoulders. "Sure. I need to stretch my legs anyway."
He nodded and looked at the approaching diner as it got closer. It was a cute little ma and pa thing, and it had a retro sign that read 'Diner' on it. The building itself was small, but looked cozy all the same.
He turned into the little diner. Everybody started piling out, Dawn got out while Nara shook Cara awake. Evelyn got out as well, and then Eric. He went around to the passengers side and he followed everybody inside.
He entered and looked around. Everything was either red or black. The barstools were red, the chairs at the red table were black, the clock on the black wall was red, and even the waitress uniforms were red and black, the t-shirt being black, the pants being red.
A waitress that looked to be in her mid-thirties walked behind the bar. "Take a seat wherever you like." it was quite empty, most of the booths vacant except a spare few and the bar was just devoid of people.
Ryan led the group to a booth that could definitely hold six. It was one of the u shaped ones. Ryan scooted in the middle, Dawn sitting on the right of him, Nara sitting on the left, Cara sitting next to Dawn, Evelyn sitting next to Cara, and Eric sitting next to sitting next to Nara.
The waitress came and handed out menus. "I'm Louise, I'll be your server, and what can I get you folks to drink?" she asked, pulling out a pad and a pencil. She looked inquisitively at Dawn to start. "Water." five more, "Water."'s were followed after that. She nodded and wrote it all down, then smiled at them. "Coming right up." and then she left.
The group all looked at each other, not sure of what to say. The only sounds in the restaurant were the sounds of the man in a booth turning the pages of a newspaper. Eric cleared his throat and the group looked at him expectantly. "So...."
"Yeah?" Evelyn asked, an amused look on her face. "Um.... Well, I barely know any of you. Hobbies?" Cara started. "Singing and a little dancing." she said, a slight red coming to her cheeks. "Writing and a little bit of sewing." Dawn went said next. "Football." Ryan said.
"Typical." Eric heard Dawn mutter under her breath. Apparently, so did Ryan as he said, "What's that supposed to mean?"
"All brawn and no brain is the stereotype. You fight it perfectly." his face got red with anger. "Well, you know what? You fit the stereotype for cheerleader perfectly! All beauty and no brains."
"If your trying to flatter me, then sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not one of your- Ow!" Dawn said, rubbing her side, glaring at Cara who had an annoyed expression. "Do we need to separate you two?"
"No!" they both said at the same time, and then they glared at each other.
Eric sighed and looked at Nara. She shrugged her shoulders. "Nothing much. I paint a little." he nodded.
-------------------
They were back in the car a little over an hour and a half later, done eating. Ryan and Dawn were fighting again, over who knows what. It was dark now, and Eric had the headlights on.
Everybody was wide awake, listening to the two bicker about something. Evelyn was listening to her music, watching the road ahead, Nara looked like she had a headache and was about to explode, and Cara just looked downright cross.
He looked in the rear view mirror. "PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD SHUT UP!" Dawn and Ryan looked at him shocked, and everybody else looked relieved. Nara and Cara threw him grateful glances and he nodded.
"Eric! Look out!" Evelyn suddenly screamed. He panicked and swerved. Screams were heard all about in the car as it suddenly was spinning and Eric's life was flashing before his eyes.
♠ ♠ ♠
Joint story, tell us what you think.