Status: Active

Say Your Prayers, You're Really Gonna Need Them.

Coldest eyes, and the softest touch;

★ ★ ★ - Indicates point of view change.

-

There was music now, slow and melodic coursing all around me.

It was drawing me in with great ease and I couldn’t help the burning need to follow it as it was pushing itself into my ears, down my throat and pulsing in my brain.

I was walking in nothing really other than murky black, I couldn’t see a thing; but I knew I was going the right way, the music almost carrying me towards my destination.

I became aware of a figure up ahead, quite far into the distance and upon taking a few more music fuelled steps I realized who it was.

Harlan, his contrast against the black veil was so flagrant; it caused a sense of awe to rivet through me, causing my feet to move quicker against the music.

I had to get to him, now; no ifs or maybes, I had to be there.

He looked up at me when I was close, his eyes catching me off guard.
They were all black, like a raven’s.

He stood up then, cocking his head to one side and just like before I felt myself walking towards him with ease, eyes or no eyes I still wanted to be with him.

When I was in a closer proximity he smiled, his teeth sharp and ready but still I felt no fear.

“Your eyes...” I whispered as he wrapped his arms around me.

“Shh, no time for speak.” He replied quietly, his voice had an echo to it making it harder to ignore.

“But...” I began, but he cut me off.

“Close your eyes for me,” he commanded gently, and I obliged. “Ruse, have you...pra....t...ni...t?”

I heard him speak, but I couldn’t understand anything he was saying.

“What?” I asked; my eyes still shut tight.

“Have you...pr...d...t...nt?”

“I can’t hear you.” I huffed opening my eyes, to see his face incredibly close to my own, noses almost touching.

Smiling, he leant towards my ear.
“I said, have you prayed tonight?” he replied.

I could actually hear his smile, the noise it made when your gums came away from your lips.

“I haven’t.” I murmured as I felt his thumb on the skin above my jugular.

“Not to worry.” he whispered slowly as his teeth gently raked at my skin, causing me to wince.

I was aware that his grip on my arm was becoming steely, bruising me.

“Harlan, you’re hurting me.” I almost whined as his arm snaked round the neck, his other hand buried in my hair and pulling my head to one side.

He didn’t speak, just scraped his teeth again over the flesh of my throat, forming new small wounds.

His hand still buried in my hair began to grow tighter and increasingly more painful, my heartbeat was increasing loudly.

“Just the way I like it.” He muttered before his teeth sank into my skin.


-

My eyes flickered open slowly; Dr Larkin’s face was hovering over my own along with three women I hadn’t seen before, but who I indentified as nurses.

“Miss Salvin, can you hear me?” he asked.

“Shall we get a room set up?” a nurse asked.

“No, no. She’s gaining consciousness and therefore should be okay, if you can get her something sugary to drink when she is fully roused that would be helpful. She can stay here until she feels better and we can take a look at her head.” He replied and the nurse nodded before excusing herself from the room.

“Did you do the blood test?” I mumbled and Dr Larkin laughed.

“I'm afraid not Ruse, we aren’t allowed when you’re unconscious just in case it sparks a reaction.”

“Oh man.” I whispered.

“You gave us quite the scare there, how are you feeling?”

“Crappy.” I coughed, causing them all to laugh uneasily.

They all helped to move me to a chair, the missing nurse returning with a bottle of coke for me to drink.

“Shouldn’t endorse such a sugary drink really, but I think we can make an exception this time round.” She winked.

I smiled gratefully and offered her some change for the drink but she shook her head and told me not to be so silly.

“You should have let me know you have a fear of needles.” Dr Larkin frowned.

“I don’t, it’s just blood tests.” I smiled sheepishly.

“Never the less, you should have pre-warned.” He replied, looking tired.

“I know, I’m sorry I just thought I could handle it. But obviously not.” I smiled again.

“Right, well we’ve managed to get you some numbing cream, so do you feel okay to have it done now?” he asked.

“I don’t think I’ll ever be okay but yeah.” I cringed.

Dr Larkin and the nurses smiled understandingly before he asked me to face the other way and the nurse began animatedly chatting to me, trying to keep my mind off the needle that was about to inserted into my hand.

I still felt faint, but I couldn’t just spark out again like that, so I just stared at the woman nodding and smiling.

The numbing cream didn’t really work, I still felt it, followed by the sickness but I ignored it and it was done after ten minutes.

Dr Larkin spent the next 15 shining a light in my eyes and checking my reflexes, worried that the fall had caused a concussion but after a thorough check over and after my lips were no longer blue tinged he seemed satisfied to let me leave on agreement that I would get a taxi home which I assured him I would.

“I’m sorry about that; I bet you’re thinking you don’t get paid enough to handle all this crap during a single day.” I smiled as I shook his hand to leave.

“That’s fine; it’s certainly something I can tell my children later on, besides I knew what I signed up for when I chose to become a doctor,” He smiled. “Don’t forget, cab home.” He finished when he was standing at the door.

“Rest assure.” I nodded before waving to him and walking back down the corridor to the busy waiting room.

I cast a glance around before walking towards the main doors and flagging down a cab.

Technically I lied, I wasn't going home.

I had to see Harlan.

I kept that in mind as I told the driver where to go.
♠ ♠ ♠
9 stars! Say Your Prayers has got 9 stars!

And it's all thanks to you lovely readers, thank you so much, honestly!

Anyway, i hope you like this chapter and have a lovely weekend!

Subscribers and Comments would be amazing :]