Status: Active

Say Your Prayers, You're Really Gonna Need Them.

I was cast away once,

★ ★ ★ - Indicates point of view change.

-

The drive was slow, with the taxi driver rarely directing conversation to me as opposed to moaning about other people on the road that he described as dickheads.

I sighed, my hand was throbbing a little and god knows I just wanted this to be over.

As we turned into Harlan’s road I felt my stomach do a little flip of anticipation, I swallowed hoping it would clear it along with the whirring of my head.

I asked the driver to pull up in front of Harlan’s neighbouring house; that way if I chickened out it wouldn’t matter so much.

Whilst I was waiting for the driver to retrieve my change I checked my appearance in a small pocket mirror, having not even looked to see how earlier’s little hospital mishap had wreaked on my face.

My skin was pale, all together I did look ailing but I didn’t have time to do anything about it, the taxi driver was now thrusting my change back at me impatiently.

After thanking him and receiving a gruff mumble of reply I climbed out of the car and into the fresh air, it was slowly becoming autumn now, meaning it was grey and dismal but still humid which I hated.

I was still standing outside Harlan’s neighbours house and decided now would be a good time to call Ellen and let her know why I wasn't going to be coming into college today.

She picked up on the second ring.
“How spooky, I was just about to text you and ask you where your skiving little arse was.”

“Mhm, spooky indeed; I was just calling to say I had my hospital check up. Which, I add that I did have the courtesy to tell you about at the weekend.”

“My mind evades me.” Ellen laughed.

“Also known as, sorry I didn’t listen to you Ruse. But yeah the doctor said I have to take it easy for the rest of the day.”

“Wait but its Monday, you have work tonight.”

“You didn’t let me finish, I have to take it easy for the rest of the day which I will be doing until this evening when I do indeed have to work.”

“Ah, what happened at the hospital then?” Ellen asked.

“Oh you know same old same old. Doctor presented me with a blood test and in turn I presented him with a blacked out version of myself.”

The line was filled with the sound of Ellen laughing; I had to pat myself on the back for having such a supportive friend.

“I'm sorry but I had a vision of it, creased me up. Anyway I have to go, Ms. Hodge is looking at me like she is about to commit blue murder but you’re working tonight? What are you doing now?”

“Yes working tonight... right now? I have some business to attend to.”

“You just take it easy James bond. I might pop in coffee thrillers tonight though to see you... ANYWAY GOTTA GO, THE HODGE IS COMING FOR MY PHONE!” Ellen shouted before hanging up.

“See ya.” I mumbled into the dial tone.

Shoving the plastic into my bag I took a huge breath, taking a few wary steps before going the full mile and walking to the end of Harlan’s drive.

His car wasn't there; I deliberated that it wasn't a good start or a good sign and as I strolled up towards his front door the sinking feeling in my stomach was making its presence known once more with a vengeance.

Why am I so nervous?

I wiped my clammy hands on my coat and took another breath before knocking on the door.
It was barely audible but I knew that he would hear it so I didn’t bother knocking louder.
I counted the seconds in my head; One...two...three...four...five...six...seven...eight...nine...ten.
But he wasn't at the door, maybe I was right and he wasn't home, that’s defiantly plausible.

Sighing I took a step back and looked up at the windows, I wanted in, wanted to know if he still even lived here.

Don’t get me wrong I was being silly, surely he wouldn’t just move away after all that ‘I can’t give you time’ shit he had pulled when I first met him.

But there were no windows open, no way for me to get into the garden. So at first glance it appeared no way in at all.

Unless Harlan was more like normal people than I originally thought, bending down I lifted up the welcome mat which proved to be fruitless as there was nothing that could help me break an entering into this house.

Deciding that it was probably too obvious, I had another look around but still came up with nothing.

I was just about to give up and go home when I suddenly noticed the porch light; behind it there was a little ledge which connected it to the wall and reaching up, pushing past the cobwebs which made me violently cringe I felt as my fingertips ran over a smooth, cold metal object.

I was on my tiptoes slightly, but used my short nails to push it over the edge until it fell into my palm.


Bingo.


I smiled triumphantly as I put the key to the lock and let myself inside cautiously.

Harlan’s house was colder than the air outside and far colder than I remembered.

I didn’t really know how to go about this, did I shout out his name? Or sneak around like a spy?

Choosing the latter, I walked slowly down the hallway careful not to make any more noise than physically possible.

The kitchen was devoid of people, the living room the same; I walked inside and looked on the coffee table, the only items adorning it being a seriously full ashtray, an empty beer bottle and some scribbled on paper.

I was just about to reach for it when a noise from upstairs made me freeze.

Holding in a string of profanities under my breath I turned around swiftly, but there wasn't anything lurking behind me, the hallway still just as I left it.

Waiting for another sign of life I paced silently back into the hallway and waited momentarily before deciding to investigate upstairs.

My senses were screaming at me to leave, but I quenched them down and waited quietly at the top stair.

Everything was eerily silent, both doors to the Harlan’s bedroom and bathroom wide open.
I opted for the bedroom, seeing as the bathroom was clearly empty.

Harlan’s room was a little messier than usual, the curtains still drawn and the bed unmade, I sat myself down on the bed and rested my head in my hands, I didn’t even know what I was doing here; this was stupid and I clearly wasn't going to get anywhere sneaking around an empty home.

Just as I was about to leave I heard the noise again, my eyes went wide and I ducked my head down like I’d been shot.

The sound was coming from the spare room that was next to Harlan’s, I leant my ear up against the wall to listen but didn’t hear anything else other than the erratic pounding of my heart.

What if Harlan has been here the whole time?

There’s only one way to find out.

I stood on shaking legs before making my way to the usually empty spare room’s door and waiting, holding my breath I twisted the handle and pushed the door open.

The first thing I noticed was the wide open window, probably the source of the cool temperature; the second thing, the flash of a figure as it exited out of it.

What the fuck?

Hastily running to the window I peered out, but there was no evidence of anyone being there, nothing to back up who or what I had just seen.

I hadn’t even managed to get a good glance, but one thing I was certain.

Whoever that was wasn’t Harlan.
♠ ♠ ♠

I only got one comment last chapter, whats with that? :[
Come on people, you know i love hearing what you're thinking!