Status: Active

Say Your Prayers, You're Really Gonna Need Them.

And I hate that tomorrow's too soon.

★ ★ ★ - Indicates point of view change.

-

★★★

The blood was sliding down my throat with such ease that it should have been illegal.

I was breathless on so many levels; I hadn’t drunk from Ruse in so long, this was almost like a dream.

One that was perfect, and if I wasn't now worrying that I was about to kill her I wouldn’t have ceased.

I pulled away, greedily filling my lungs as I dropped her head on the bed.

My skin was on fire, euphoria was taking over and I was floating on something that was greater than myself, bigger than the whole world.

Looking down at Ruse’s body, I sighed before laying my head down on her bare chest, listening for her heartbeat.

It was there, just quiet and laborious.

Taking a second of selfish gratification I waited, letting the superlative emotion rip through me whilst I listened to the sound of Ruse’s flaccid heartbeat.

Pulling out of her, I stood and pulling on my boxers quickly, checked her throat’s flesh.

The holes themselves were rancorous, enough to make even the strong stomached grimace with fluid queasiness.

I didn’t have much time.

I reached over towards the bedside table, before pulling out a little knife and making a small incision on my wrist, only needing a modest amount.

Holding the wound over her neck I let a couple of drops fall onto her rip marks.

Hoping it would heal them neatly, I didn’t want her to scar because of me.

Lighting a cigarette, I laid myself down on my sheets next to her sleeping figure; that was, after propping her head up and wrapping her body in a duvet to promote warmth.

Watching the smoke disappear into the ceiling I sighed, sex was poles apart when you actually felt something beautiful for the person you indulged in it with.

Admittedly the hunger was still there, if not far more colossal; but there was something else that made moments like what we had just shared yank at the heart.

I say heart somewhat metaphorically.

Taking the last drag on the cigarette I put it out in the ashtray, before getting underneath the covers and encircling Ruse’s unconscious form in my arms.

I placed a kiss on the top of her spine before closing my eyes, just hoping that I could experience what she was right now.


Where the fuck am I? I asked myself as I looked around until my eyes rested on Ruses shape, only a few strides in front of my own.

But in the next split second I didn’t care, I was far too engrossed in the smell that was coming off her.

Wrapping itself around my whole body and forcing its way down my nose and throat.

It made me feel positively evil as I imagined the hot, sticky liquid that would fall from every inch of her skin, every single inch conceivable.

I wanted to cut her flesh open everywhere, test the theories, lick every wound and knick spotless whilst she begged, screamed for me to stop.

But I wouldn’t stop, I won't stop.

I was closer to her now, pools of saliva forming in my gullet from sheer desperation and desire.
The wickedness taking over any rationality, I ached for her.

She must have sensed something, because she had now turned to look at me.

“Harlan?” she whispered, but upon seeing the malevolent smirk plastered on my lips actually began stepping backwards, broadening the space in between our bodies.

Our bodies, my body, which yearned for her with such force that it, could have made me woozy.

“Yes?” I asked, stepping forward and bequeathing her a look, making her stare deep into my eyes, making her powerless as I reeled her in.

She was almost trance like as she walked towards me, her aroma now so flagrant that it caused me to growl from sheer instincts.

I swallowed it down, telling my whole body that soon it would no longer hurt as I concentrated on ensnaring her towards me.

When she was close, I waited... I wanted her awake, not numb or complacent.

And when her eyes adjusted to mine, her smile... almost made my heart shatter.

There was a war raging inside me; both wanted her, both trying to do anything just to have her.

But it was the malicious side that was winning, the sin of gluttony and the need for survival that was palpitating through my brain.

“I want you Ruse.” I purred, grabbing her dress by the chest and pulling her close to my body.

She gasped, causing shudders to erupt through my skin.

“Are you going to hurt me?” she whispered, her tears soaking through my shirt, making me tremor with amusement.

Letting my teeth extend, forming a razorblade smile, I leant down to face her; speaking my next words in an almost amorous manner;

“Yes Ruse... I’m going to hurt you so much.”


-

When I exhaled, I wasn't where I had been prior.

I was still on my bed, with Ruse sleeping in my arms, her smell making me feel as though I hadn’t eaten in weeks let alone however long it had been since I had let my eyes close.

This is erroneous, I don’t reverie... I don’t sleep.

It's not allowed, dreams are fashioned from the soul. Souls are not for dwellers of the night, or else we wouldn’t be the way we were.

The idea of dreaming was immoral, just like we were.

Taking a deep breath, I leant over Ruse’s body, turning her head slightly so her neck was bared.

Licking my lips with anxiousness I peered at her skin, the milky sumptuousness making me shiver.

But the wounds were healing; now a pale lilac, indicating the last few stages of restoral.

I smiled, before running a finger along the patch of soft membrane that covered her jugular, it made her stir, if only slightly, her breathing creating a soft whuffling noise as she exhaled.

After wrapping her up deeper in the duvet, I stood; pulling on my clothes before exiting my bedroom and going down towards the kitchen.

Grabbing my leather jacket and shrugging myself into it I grabbed my phone and dialled quickly.

“Hello?” Matthew answered amusedly after the third ring.

“Hello Matthew, Are you busy?”

I heard a chuckle on the other end of the line.

“For you Harlan? Never, what’s up?” he asked.

“I just... need to speak for a bit, get out of the house for a little while, can I come over?” I sighed.

“Yeah mate of course; can you give me about twenty minutes though?” he laughed again.

“Sure... what are you doing?” I frowned.

“Something our mothers told us never to do...”

The line was filled with a little background noise before he continued.

“Playing with my food.” He chuckled before the background noise erupted in a scream.

“Jesus Matthew, it's like what,” I cast a glance towards the clock, “eight in the morning, don’t you have neighbours?” I frowned.

“Yeah, but I also have a soundproof apartment.” He laughed again, as another twisted shriek pierced through my head.

“Right...” I replied.

“I don’t understand, she was having fun just a minute ago.”

“I’m sure she was, listen make it quick, I’m leaving to walk now.”

“Sure thing Harl, see you soon.” He replied, before the line clicked dead.

I sighed, before shoving my phone into my pocket.

Sounds like the phone line wasn't going to the only thing dead at the hands of Matthew.

When I reached Matthews apartment block, I was buzzed straight up and upon him opening the door, instantly met with the smell of death and fresh blood.

Matthew stood, with his shirt off and a towel in his hands, his chin and chest still slightly pink from the washed off crimson residue.

“Hey man, come on in... I’m just cleaning up.” He said, making a vague gesture as he walked off towards his bedroom.

I stepped in slowly; taking a deep breath and closing my eyes whilst letting the smell of his kill mingle in my nostrils and curdle up inside my brain.

“Sorry mate, if I knew you were hungry I would have saved a little for you.” Matthews’s voice cut through thoughts, snapping me back to reality.

I held my hand up, “No, I’m not... hungry.”

Matthew laughed jovially, “You don’t sound too sure, you seen Ruse yet or what? Cause I'm starting to think there isn’t much point of a marked if you’re not going to indulge a little... or a lot.”
He smirked.

I smiled uneasily, before nodding.

“What you’ve seen her?” he asked, his face contorting quizzically as he chucked the once white towel in the bin.

I nodded again, “Yes, she’s at my house.”

“Where in your house?” Matthew asked; quirking up his eyebrow.

“In my bed.” I mumbled, averting my gaze to the floor.

Matthew let out a whistle, causing me to look back up at him as a slow smile grew across his face.

“Whoa, well done man.” He said with a mock salute.

I sighed, before shaking my head, “You know it isn’t like that.” I replied before sitting down on his couch.

Matthew followed suit, sitting on the couch across from my own before leaning back and making himself comfortable.

“So... you’re telling me it's not like that? And that you haven’t had sex with her?” he asked, again with a frown.

“No, we had sex... but it's not like that.” I replied, mirroring his position as I leant back.

“Oh right yeah, you’re in love with her or something.” Matthew chided with a haughty laugh.

“Or something.” I repeated with a nod, knowing I couldn't begin to explain to Matthew something I didn’t yet understand myself.

“Right so, what’s the topic of this very jovial visit? If it's not to tell me that you’ve finally had your way with Miss Salvin.”

I rolled my eyes before opening my mouth to speak, “Well I--”

“You’ve had your end away with Ruse?” Another voice suddenly asked from the direction of the door.

Danny stood in the front door way, arm resting on the frame with a smirk firmly set in my direction.

“Yes, yes okay? We’ve established this.” I said with wide eyes.

“Well why do you have a face like a smacked arse... And what is, that smell?” Danny asked as he walked leisurely towards the sofa, the last words spoke as though he was almost in awe.

“Uh, death?” Matthew shrugged.

“And sex, probably.” I replied tiresomely, gesturing towards Matthew.

“Nice one.” Danny said as he plunked himself down in the seat next to Matthew, taking another
deep breath.

“What is this, feast on my dead conquests smell day?” Matthew asked sarcastically.

“Shut up Matthew.” Danny scowled.

“Anyway...” I cut in, making both their attention revert to me.

“Yeah, so what’s up?” Matthew asked, his face taking a serious expression.

“Do--” I sighed again, “Do you guys, dream?” I asked with a frown, as if I didn’t quite believe it myself.

They both gave each other a look and then me a look of scepticism.

“Not since 1923.” Matthew shrugged, looking shocked.

“Same, not since I was changed, which as we all know was sometime in the seventies.” Danny nodded, with an impish grin.

“Right, that’s what I thought.” I nodded, leaning forward with supernatural quickness.

“Whoa, hold on there Jethroe. You’re not making any sense.” Matthew said, holding his hand out.
I frowned, before sitting back again, looking them both in the eyes.

“In the past two months, I’ve dreamt... twice,” I replied uneasily.

When neither of them replied, I spoke again.

“The first one... I thought— thought it was a hallucination, I dreamt of Ruse before I even knew she existed.”

The next twenty minutes or so were spent explaining my dreams and Ruse’s, not that I knew any of the details about hers enough to explain fully.

When I was finished, I leant back whilst Matthew fixed me with a fathomless look.

“I don’t understand it, we aren’t supposed to dream.”

“I know that.” I nodded slowly.

“And you’re always killing her?” Danny asked.

“Yes.” I verified.

“Well I suppose that parts normal, considering who you are.” Matthew shrugged, leaning back before lighting a cigarette and passing round the packet.

“What you are.” Danny corrected.

Taking a cigarette, I lit it, breathing out slowly and watching as the smoke mingled above us.

“Maybe... the dreams are interlinked, you said that you can hear thoughts, maybe within a close proximity you can catch inklings of her dreams and kind of run with them?” Matthew asked.

“Maybe.” I frowned, still watching the smoke.

And as we sat there considering our options, my mind drifted back to the dream.

The thoughts made my body shiver and throat dry.

Something only Ruse’s blood could fully slake.
♠ ♠ ♠
Super long chapter! Can i expect some comments? :]

Subscribers are amazin' too!