Status: Active

Say Your Prayers, You're Really Gonna Need Them.

Do you want to own me angel?

★ ★ ★ - Indicates point of view change.

★★★

When I woke up, early morning sunlight was streaming in through the windows.

I took a deep breath, happy to be awake and free from my nightmares.

Standing up, I quickly stumbled to the bathroom and had a shower, letting the water ease my tense muscles.

After I was dry and dressed, I took time to do my makeup and hair, not knowing why because it was only Sunday but I wanted something to take my brain off of its divergences.

Hanging the towel back on the rail and grabbing my bag, I made my way downstairs, listening out for any signs of life.

But upon seeing none, decided to make some coffee and as usual wait around for Harlan to show his face.

Setting my steaming mug in front of me, I lit up a cigarette in the kitchen and enjoyed the first one of the day feeling, a mixture of light-headedness and a little exhilaration.

“You know, you shouldn’t smoke.” I heard a voice say behind me.

Spinning around I was confronted with a boy who I’d never met before in my life, with a cigarette dangling between his own lips.

My eyes grew wide as I looked around, “Who are you?” I asked, in a strangled voice.
The boy laughed, showing a perfect set of straight white teeth.

“Danny.” He replied, holding out a hand for me to shake.

I took it mechanically, noticing instantly its cool temperature.

“Are you...a?” I asked, looking him in the eyes.

A?” he asked, with a little smirk on his face, “A friend of Harlan’s? Yes.”

“I guessed that part.” I replied with a weak smile.

“Oh! You mean a vampire,” He nodded with understanding of the question, before taking a step forward towards me.

“I am.” He grinned, making me feel a little nervous.

He must have sensed this though because in the next minute he gave me a little poke in the ribs and laughed.

“Lighten up! I’m not going to hurt you; I wanted to meet you... since Matthew already has, thought it was my turn as well.” He smiled, making me feel instantly at ease, I thought back to Matthew, the boy I’d met at the pub with the wavy brown hair, before nodding at the recognition.

“Well it's a pleasure to meet you.” I replied, with a friendly smile.

“Pleasure is all mine, I can assure you.” He smirked.

I couldn't decide whether that comment had underlying meaning, but decided changing the subject would be the best option.

“So where’s Harlan disappeared off to?” I asked quietly.

“Your house, I think,” Danny shrugged and I frowned, wondering why Harlan would be at my house, “He threatened me with death if I woke you up... so lucky for me that you’re an early riser, eh?” Danny chortled.

And I smiled back, “Looks that way huh? Do you want some —” I asked, holding up my coffee up.

“Oh thanks, sure.” Danny nodded, before lighting another cigarette.

As I poured the water into the cup I spoke, “Thought you said that smoking is bad?”

I heard a little chuckle from behind me, “I never said that, smoking is great... I said you shouldn’t do it, you’re human, it will kill you.”

Handing him the coffee cup I nodded, “Truer words couldn't be spoken, but it's a habit... one that I like.” I shrugged, before taking a sip from my own mug, walking towards the living room and sitting down on the sofa.

“Habits are bad.”

“Is this just another for humans crack or?” I asked, sarcastically.

Danny grinned as he sat down on the floor behind the coffee table.
“Well everything has its habits.”

“That’s not answering my question.”

“Okay, okay well I love my bad habits, but humans wouldn’t understand them.”

“Is that because—”

“Because I kill people... which is kind of frowned upon.” He replied, raising an eyebrow.

“Yeah.” Nodded, staring into my cup.

“So what do you do for fun?” he asked.

“I don’t have fun.” I smiled.

“Really? I thought fun was all the rage.” Danny snickered.

I couldn't help but giggle along with him; he was easy to be around.

“Yeah well you know. Everyone these days is trying to be different.” I joked.

“And you’re different?” he asked.

“I don’t know many of my friends in the same situation as me, do you?”

“You’re right.” He nodded.

We sat there for a few seconds in silence, sipping our coffees and listening to the houses noise.

The only thing that caused me to make a sound was the pang of pain that derived itself in my lower half.

“You alright?” Danny asked, as I winced and dug my nonexistent nails into my arms.

“Yeah fine, you know.” I replied.

“I do.” He nodded, causing me to give him an inquisitive look.

He chuckled, “Obviously not like that... I can smell it.”

“Eww.” I muttered, a look of horror etched over my face.

Danny shrugged, “It’s pure blood oestrogen and like full of pheromones, I’m male and a vampire... you do the maths.”

“But how do you go out and not kill every single woman you meet who is... you know?”

“I do,” he replied, before laughing at my reaction. “I joke, we learn to ignore it but obviously situations and factors vary circumstances and results.”

“How so?” I asked with a frown.

“Well... for example say you were my marked? I’d find it very hard because your blood would be so potent to me anyway, right?” he asked.

“Right.” I replied.

“This is why I think Harlan’s like a saint for keeping you alive... no offence intended.” He finished.

I smiled at Danny before shuddering, thinking back to yesterday, I rubbed my sore hand a little before taking mine and Danny’s empty cups outside and washing them up.

When I came back to the living room Danny was reading a newspaper, I re-sat myself in the same chair and watched out the window, listening to the ticking of the clock on the wall.

“Did you know her?” Danny asked suddenly, snapping me of my daydream and making me avert my gaze to where he was sat.

“Excuse me?” I asked passively.

He held up the paper, brandishing the article about Erica Ukiyah, from a few days prior.
“She went to my college, but I didn’t know her.” I replied.

Danny nodded, before folding up the paper and placing it back on the table.

“Do you know who is committing the attacks?” I asked, hoping he wouldn’t take the question the wrong way.

“It's hard to say,” he replied, rubbing his chin casually. “I mean... I have my suspicions that it's one of our own, but it wouldn’t be any of our ... most vampires are meticulous when it comes to disposing of remains.” He frowned.

I shuddered a little, thinking about what he was saying, before nodding.

“I know it must seem strange to you, that we can speak about it so casually... but you need to remember that we aren’t like you, we generally don’t feel compassion, it tends to melt away after the first few years.” He said, looking me dead in the eye.

“So you have no conscience?” I asked.

“I suppose that the correct way of putting it.”

I nodded again; my mouth was dry thinking about it.

“Whoever is doing this is clever and very, very malicious.” Danny finished, Just as the front door clicked open and Harlan made an appearance in the door way.

“Hello.” He said warily.

Danny and I both said our hellos, as Harlan sat himself down in the arm chair.

“What do you think Harlan?” Danny suddenly asked, passing the paper over to him.

“About the paper?”

“About the murders, in the paper.” Danny corrected.

“I have my theories.” Harlan replied, scanning the article absentmindedly.

“Which are?” I asked.

Harlan looked thoughtful for a second, before shaking his head.

“Which are nothing of interest... trust me.” He shrugged, in a tone of voice that told me not to ask any more questions.

I shrugged, knowing that as and when, I would ask him again,

I needed to know if his theories were the same as my own, before it was too late.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry this took so long, upto you if you want to comment, though they are always nice.

But i do have to say this quick, if you're no longer enjoying this story or feel it's too long winded, you don't have to keep reading. Don't feel obliged.

Other than that, i hope you like, as always.