Status: Active

Say Your Prayers, You're Really Gonna Need Them.

Did you help me find the long way home?

★ ★ ★ - Indicates point of view change.

-
I did exactly as I was told, I ran with all my might- now sober as a nun and scared witless.
I looked back but they were gone. But I could feel them still around and hear their echoing laughter.

‘They’re just messing with me; they have no intention of letting me get out of here alive.’
I thought in distress.

But my thinking was cut short as a hand grabbed me and russet hair pulled me round to face him.
I shoved with all the strength I could muster and managed to get free, and carried on until I heard them both running after me laughing as the they did;

The path cut off into two, I knew I didn’t have time to think I just shut my eyes and when I opened them again there was someone else standing on the path.

I crashed into their arms full pelt, and looking up I realized I was staring into a familiar face.

He steadied me.

“Please let me go.” I begged noticing the two other men had now slowed their pace and were strolling towards us.

“Shh no, you’re ok.” he said holding me tightly in his arms.

I felt my whole body go weak, catching up with the frantic running I’d been doing.
But he kept me upright.

As they approached I felt my eyes brim with tears; these men were going to tear me to shreds.

“I’ve got to admit I wouldn’t have thought that people of your stature and age would result to chasing drunken girls through a forest.” my saviour mocked.

The two men laughed,
“You, clearly underestimate our fun levels,” blonde man replied with a smug grin “so please just return her to us and we’ll be on our way to continue our little games, our lovely young lady was enjoying them so much weren’t you flower?” he narrowed his eyes and smiled at me.

“Hmm I think I might just hang on to her thank you.” saviour replied.

“Preposterous,” the blonde replied “give her back at once, she’s ours, our kill and our fun.” he was scowling now viciously.

He gently turned me round in his arms then, ignoring the two men all together.
He leant my head to the side and with his nail traced a deep cross into the skin of my neck, it hurt but by this point my whole body hurt, what was a little bit more going to do?
I felt as the blood trickled out and then in one swift motion he licked the cross and the pain stopped and so did the flow of blood, like a hot poker seals wounds his tongue done the same job.

Him and I both looked over now to the two men and I’d never seen such hatred before in my life, the intensity scaring me to the core.

A searing growl escaped the blonde mans mouth before he roared “You had no right, she’s ours.” his whole body was shaking.

“Correction, she wasn’t yours at all you didn’t mark her, I did. So now she’s mine, mine to do with whatever I please and for however long.” He winked at them.

“You’ll pay for this, mark my words; your both already dead.” blonde man replied before turning off and running with his friend at lightning speed.

I took this opportunity to sag into my saviours arms and happily black out, I'm sure his fate is no worse than theirs would have been, I’ll take gamble.

I woke again; I realized that although I was disorientated I couldn’t have been out cold for any longer than few minutes.

I shook my head before resting back on what appeared to of been my saviours knees, he looked down at me with a perplexed expression.
“Are you okay?”

I laid there thinking about it for a moment, was I okay?

“Sore... but alive, thanks to you,” I mumbled.

He just smiled feverishly before casting a glance around the woods.

“I'm sorry to say that I still haven’t learnt your name.” I said sheepishly, he looked back down into my eyes.

“Harlan.” he replied gently, pushing my hair out of my face slightly.

“I'm Ruse.” I slurred and he let out a gentle laugh.

“I know.” he added,

I looked up at him with questioning eyes but I just couldn’t care right now, all I wanted was to get out of here, and although Harlan had given me his comfy leather jacket I couldn’t help but shiver, to be honest I didn’t feel like I was ever going to stop.

“Can you stand?” he asked

“I can try,” and attempted to with him steadying me, for the first few moments I wobbled.

I felt so off balance, like being drunk all over again.
But he placed my good arm over his shoulder and wrapped his arm round my waist, taking most of my weight, guiding me along.

“Where are we going?” I asked, resting my head on his shoulder, I was so weary I could barely keep my eyes open even if I was still walking.

“Home...” he replied, and I honestly didn’t even think to ask where ‘home’ was I just let him take me.

Turned out home was a large house close by, I didn’t take much of it in and didn’t speak another word all the way there.

Harlan opened the front door, half walked and half carried me up the stairs and took me into a dark bedroom.

He popped me on the bed before turning on a dim lamp.

“Stay here and stay awake.” he said gravely before walking out the room.

I sat staring at my arm momentarily, the wound was still bleeding even now and looking down my dress was caked in dirt and blood.

I couldn’t keep my eyes open anymore, but not wanting to get blood on the bed I wrapped myself sourly in my dresses length before slumping over to the side, I was just too exhausted.
I heard the door creek;

“Oh shit...come on...wake up.” Harlan was gently shaking me, tapping me lightly on the face.

But as gentle as it may have been it felt like it was jarring my whole body.
I opened my eyes slightly, blinking.
His face, only inches from mine; breath fanning my face.

“I'm not asleep...I just can’t keep my eyes open anymore.” I admitted my voice on the brink of becoming a whine.

“Sit up...it’s only for a minute.” he said, with a stern edge to his voice.

“I cant...please.” I whimpered.

But he ignored me, pulling me up as gently as he could; I noticed the bottle on the side next the first aid box.

He took my bleeding arm, before looking up at me with a rueful expression on his face.

“I'm sorry if this stings.” he said, before dabbing a strong smelling and sopping wet cotton wool pad along my cut.

I gasped as the pain shot through me; my arm felt like it was on fire. I tried pulling away, thrashing my head side to side but he didn’t let go, just continued holding on with a firm grip.

“Stop struggling,” he said softly and I felt an instant of calm wash over me.

He wrapped my arm up in white gauze and when he let go I cradled it with my good arm.

“I don’t really have anything in the way of pyjamas.” he said, running his hand through his hair.

I just look at him with tired eyes, as he walked over to a wardrobe and flicked through the hangers.
He pulled out a long white shirt and held it up for approval; I simply nodded, not minding.

I just needed sleep.
He passed it to me and turned his back to me, I think this indicated for me to change. Which I did quickly, the shirt itself was just long enough to cover my modesty and I promptly folded my own clothes into a pile and cleared my throat,

“I'm...I’m done,” I said gutturally, he turned back and smiled before indicating to pass me the pile of clothes I’d just folded; he took them and said he would wash them.

And I just looked at him as if he was a crazy, but I was so grateful that I wanted to burst into tears.
“Thank you...for everything.” I said ineptly, he nodded gently before taking a few steps towards the door.

“Sleep.” was all he said and pulled the door shut behind him,
I was all too happy to comply.
♠ ♠ ♠
as usual let me know, it would be nice if someone actually told me what they think of it so far ;) x