Status: Active

Say Your Prayers, You're Really Gonna Need Them.

Stopped short with a glance.

★ ★ ★ - Indicates point of view change.

That night, I went to sleep in Harlan’s bed again, falling into a dreamless but very erratic sleep.

By Monday morning I was exhausted, Harlan had brought me clothes from my house the day prior to wear for college on Monday, so going home didn’t really make sense.

On the drive to college, Harlan took us both into a little cafe for coffee and as we sat and drank I couldn't help but ask him again.

“Who do you think is doing it?” I asked, turning to face him in the seat next to his.

“I told you, my theories aren’t really relevant.”

“Oh come off it, since when have you ever kept your opinions to yourself when it comes to me?” I asked a little grouchily.

His face softened a little, before he used his finger to gently rub the small frown line that had appeared between my eyebrows.

I wasn't expecting him to do it, so instantly my frown dropped as I watched his face, a little shocked.

“Sorry.” He smiled.

“What for?” I murmured.

“You know, I'm not sure... but,” He put down his coffee and leant in towards my face, pressing his lips to mine gently. “One thing I do know is that I’ve wanted to do that again since Friday.”
He smirked as he pulled away.

I couldn't help the little blush that crept along my cheeks, thinking back to Fridays events and as I sat there drinking my coffee; a little smile would suddenly appear on my lips every time I thought about it.

-

The smile would appear every now and again throughout the day.

Of course, Ellen was the first to notice the secret grin and was also the first and only to find out about what had transpired on Friday night, at first a little peeved that I hadn’t told her over the phone but still relieved I had consoled in her, but sworn to the secretly and couldn't say anything to anyone.

The smile followed me all the way to work that evening, both Adam and Joelle asking what I was so happy about, I just shrugged as I served the next customer and left them to scratch their heads in thought about it.

And that night in bed, after Joelle had dropped me home, though I was alone, I felt safe in the knowledge that Harlan wouldn’t be far away and that the smile wouldn’t be going anywhere for a while.

Something about that happiness was enough to give me a dreamless sleep.

*******

The week went by slow, with Harlan dropping by eclectically to see me.

He hadn’t fed from me since last weekend, I wasn't sure why and I don’t know if I was relieved about it.

On Friday, I spent the evening round Verity’s along with Ellen, Megan and Margo.

I was greeted at the door by Verity’s mother, Susan and Her little brother Kershall.

“Hello Ruse, Haven’t seen you in a while. How’s life treating you?” She asked, her Dark blonde curls bouncing as she spoke.

Verity was the spitting image of her mother, whilst Kershall didn’t inherit the curls, looking much more like his father.

“I can’t complain Mrs. Harf, What about you?” I smiled as she let me in, whilst Kershall pretended to shoot me with a toy gun and 8-year-old optimism.

“Ruse, you’ve known me since you were twelve, why do you always insist on not using my first name?” she frowned, in a friendly way.

“Just deem it more polite I suppose.” I shrugged.

“Oh, well I know you’re polite so don’t worry,” she laughed. “But yes, I’m not too bad thank you.”

“Good to hear.”

“The girls are in the living room, eating their weight in ice cream last time I checked.”

“Okay thanks, Susan.” I laughed, whilst walking towards the room with all the shouting.

“Listen up girls, we won't be back until late tomorrow evening, I’m dropping Kershall off at a friends... But please, for the love of god, don’t wreck my house.” She smiled from the doorway.

“Your house is safe with us Mrs. H.” Ellen grinned.

“When you say it Ellen, it worries me the most.” She winked, before turning on her heal and exiting the room.

“RUSEEEEEE” Ellen grinned.

“Hi everyone.” I said, plopping myself down on the floor next to Megan, she gave me a tired smile.

“So, we were just talking about tonight’s plan of action.” Ellen filled me in.

“What? Which is?” I said, “I thought we were just doing a girlie night.” I frowned.

“Well originally it was, but then my mum told me she wasn't back tonight so I thought, have a few people over... it is the weekend.” Verity shrugged.

“You’re a nutter.” I grinned.

“Yep, now let’s get everything planned.” Verity replied, putting her game face on.

“Everyone, retrieve their phones and get dialling.” Ellen giggled.

“Yeah, but don’t invite untrustworthy people though, I may be a ‘nutter’ but this nutter doesn’t want anything stolen from her house.” Verity said as she punched numbers into her phone.

Everyone nodded, before standing up and moving to separate rooms to dial, since I had no one to call who wasn't already a friend of everyone else, I opted to do an alcohol run.

“Wow, good thinking.” Verity said.

“Yeah, so everyone get their money sorted, write down what you want and how much cash you’ve gave me.” I nodded.

Whilst everyone poured into their purses and bags, Ellen came sauntering over to me with a mischievous grin.

“What do you want?” I joked.

“Just wondering if you’re inviting a, certain someone.” She said with wiggle of her eyebrows.

“I swear that’s all you think about.” I replied with a roll of my eyes.

“What so you’re not with him enough to invite him to a party?”

“No, I’m not.” I replied, knowing that I didn’t even have his phone number; I really had to make a mental note to ask for it.

“I don’t get you.” She laughed with a frown.

“I don’t expect you to, now make with the money.” I said holding my hand out.

The walk to the little shop was cold, the middle of October air wrapping itself around me and making me shiver.

I should have made one of them come up with me.

I thought feebly, not liking the way the street lamps did nothing to the encapsulating darkness of the sky.

Huddling tighter into my jacket, I coursed forward, craving the bright lights of a shop; anything to break the uncomfortable ache of an unforeseen road.

The clinking of change in my bag made me slightly at ease, its jingly rhythm making me concentrate only on where I had to be.

When I heard a twig snap behind me, all thoughts of change were gone, as my heart pounded so hard that it made threat to appear out of my mouth.

I looked around, my breathing audible as I squinted to see the perpetrator of noise.

Stifling the need to shout, I turned and carried on to where I suppose to go, the shop now in full view as the road came to an opening.

Breathing a sigh of relief I all but ran towards the windows, letting the ring of the door comfort me as it opened.

The shop attendant barely even glanced up from the magazine he was reading as I walked past, towards the drink aisle.

I pulling out my list, I cursed profusely as coins fell out of my bag making a tinkling sound as they scattered on the floor, making a desperate bid for freedom.

“Shit.” I muttered, before scrambling around on the floor attempting grab the change before I lost any of it.

When I came to see a pair of legs in front of me, I instantly jumped up, something about the figure making me incredibly uneasy.

“I’m sorry.” I mumbled, looking up as the figure walked off, I caught a flash of blonde hair but thought nothing of it as I grabbed my last coin and turned to get the drinks I had come for.

Filling up my basket with heavy bottles, I double checked I had everything on the list before taking it over to the cashier.

“Hey.” I smiled as he greeted me.

“What did you drop?” he asked casually as I showed him my ID card.

“Oh only like the entire contents of my purse.” I laughed.

“Ah.” He replied, as he continued bagging.

“Yeah and another customer saw me dragging myself around on the floor whilst I was trying to get it all back.” I laughed nonchalantly.

“Another customer?” he frowned.

“Yeah, back there,” I replied, pointing back to the unseen shops rear aisles “Some man was lurking around, probably just getting his weekly shop.” I finished with a shrug.

The cashier was looking at me like I’d sprouted wings, “That’s impossible.” He smirked.

“Why?” I asked.

“Because you’re my last customer, I bolted the front door after you came in.” He replied as he took my cash and began ringing it up.

“Oh... well maybe it was someone who works here?” I mumbled.

“Also another impossibility, because my only work mate left an hour ago.” He replied, before handing me my heavy bags.

-

I didn’t say anything else as he walked me to the front door and unbolted it for me to go outside.

“You take it easy.” He smiled as he shut and locked the door behind me, leaving me in the cold air once again.

What the?

The question instantly popped up as I began to walk back towards Verity’s house, making me shiver at the idea of something like ghosts.

Clutching the heavy bags tightly, I power walked towards my destination quickly, not stopping to look back until I was safe inside the house with the girls.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello all, it's been a while hasn't it? I know, i suckkk.

Comment, don't comment s'up to you!