Status: Active

Say Your Prayers, You're Really Gonna Need Them.

Make the journey, break the times.

★ ★ ★ - Indicates point of view change.

My heart beat was a little erratic as we pulled into a car park, I had spent the last ten minutes trying to fix my face to as Danny put it ‘adapt and blend in’ so many times during the car journey.

Harlan put his hand on my leg gently, trying his hardest to reassure me, but the thing was... I didn’t know how to feel.

I couldn't tell whether or not the thrumming in my chest cavity was from fear, excitement, exhilaration or a mixture of the three.

But either way it was time to face the music, so to speak as I unbuckled my seat belt and the door
was thrust open by Matthew for me to extract myself from his AR.

“Nervous?” He asked.

“You can tell.” I smiled sheepishly.

“Of course I can, I can smell it,” he replied, before taking me by the hand and dragging me towards the boot of his car.

Opening the lid, he began rifling through the contents before brandishing a half empty bottle and shoving it at me.

“Hold on you two,” he said, holding his hands up, “Ruse just needs a moment.”

I watched as both Harlan and Danny froze, turning swiftly to look at me, whilst I gazed at the bottle in my hands.

“What the hell is this?” I asked, shaking the clear liquid before unscrewing the bottle a sniffing it; the fumes making my eyes water.

“Paraffin?” I asked in a shocked voice.

“Russian.” Matthew smiled.

“That's not an answer.” I frowned.

“Look, a couple of swigs of that and you’ll be able to calm yourself down without being completely trashed.” He replied.

I looked up from Matthew to Danny, who had an eager expression on his face and then to Harlan, whose face might as well have been set in cement because he was giving nothing away.

Sighing, I clamped my fingers over my nose and took a large swig, the drink burning my throat and scorching my chest as it travelled down.

Removing my fingers, I fought the urge to retch.

“That shit is rank.” I coughed, causing everyone, even Harlan to laugh.

“Atta girl.” Matthew replied, once stifling a giggle, before taking the bottle from my hands and chucking it back into the boot and slamming the lid.

“If you feel funny, let me know.” Matthew said, pushing me towards Harlan with his hand.
His comment made me a little worried, but I just nodded and let Harlan guide me in with his hand on the small of my back.

As the club came into view I was quite surprised at the normality of it, there was a bouncer outside along with a queue of people, all of whom looked normal.

Joining the back of the ever shortening line, I began rooting through my bag for my purse, mentally cursing my lack of funds.

Deciding I’d worry about that later, I flashed the bouncer my ID card and went in.

Toxarium was dark and pulsating.

Staring up at Harlan I was actually amazed at how well he could fit in and acclimatize to the clubs scene without any type of effort.

It just looked like every other club, only most people were dressed alternatively, some really pushing the boat out in latex and chains and god knows what.

Taking a deep breath, I walked up to the bar with Harlan on my trail.

“Yep?” the barman asked.

“Do you sell snakebite?” I asked, leaning forward to hear him over the thrashing music.
Giving me a small smile he nodded, before going off to make it.

“What do I do?” I asked Harlan, before I was immediately the target of eyes coming from across the room.

“Just be careful.” Harlan replied, getting very close to my ear and making a little nervous.
I just nodded, as the barman returned with my drink.

After paying, Harlan led me over to Danny who was conversing with two men, slightly older than what I could only assume Danny and Harlan were meant to be.

“Ah, speak of the devil.” One suddenly chimed as we came into their immediate area.

“Hello Chias.” Harlan replied, giving him a little smile.

“And what am I, Air?” The other suddenly asked, making Danny laugh out loud.

“I was getting to you, Hello Penn.” Harlan replied giving him a little pat on the arm.

Penn rolled his eyes, before giving me a pearly white smile, he looked almost oriental; his hair grown to the point of exposed black roots, whilst his ends were lightened to a barely see-able dark ginger.

“And who might this be?” Chias suddenly asked, shifting his attention to me, his dark eyes clocking onto my face within a matter of seconds.

For a split second it felt as though I couldn't swallow, but quickly pushing it down, I stepped forward a little holding out my hand for them both to shake.

“I’m Ruse.” I replied, trying to make my voice sound clear and strong.

They all gave each other a look, for a second I couldn't decode what it was mean to entail, but it went as quick as it appeared and Chias took my hand.

“A pleasure.” He smiled charmingly, his short dark hair almost twinkling under the clubs lights.
Penn didn’t take my hand as opposed to just giving me a huge grin, before shoving Danny almost clear off his feet.

“I haven’t seen you in so long.” He shouted as him and Danny grappled, causing the bouncers to give them both a warning look.

“So, it is true.” Chias suddenly asked, snapping me out of my daydream.

It took me a moment to realize the question wasn't completely directed at me.

Chias suddenly looked at me, “May I?” he asked, gesturing towards my throat.

I must have looked like I was about to have a heart attack because suddenly both him and Harlan burst into laughter.

“He means the mark.” Harlan suddenly said, making me blush with embarrassment.

“Please, don’t be self-conscious, it was my mistake. I spoke too soon.” Chias smiled warmly.

I nodded quickly, before hiking up my hair and angling my head so my jaw was in view.

He ran his finger over the white scar, a custom which it seemed a lot of Vampires were prone to doing.

“Peculiar,” He resounded, before his hand fell back to his side. “Why did you do it?” Chias asked Harlan, taking me out of the equation.

Danny suddenly appeared at my side, holding his hand out for me to take,

“Come on, I’m sure you don’t want to stand around listening to this story again.” He grinned before Harlan turned and told him to look out for me.

Danny assured him he would before leading me through the club.

Once again I was aware of the stares I was receiving and the way that in the darkness of the club, you could see eyes, how they would shine; letting you know how you spark interest.

“Don’t worry about them; they just haven’t seen you before... they’re curious.” Danny whispered.
“I- I think I have to go to the ladies room.” I mumbled quietly, knowing Danny would be able to hear me perfectly.

He nodded, pointing in the direction of the clubs facilities before gesturing where he would wait for me.

Pushing the toilets door open I was able to hear muffled voices coming from an occupied closed room stall, I took a deep breath as it opened and a young woman stumbled out and across to the sinks, clinging onto them for balance.

I watched the whole scene with worried speculation, unable to decide what to say.
She was leaning over the sinks now, as if to be sick.

“Are you o—?” I began, just as the stalls door slammed open and a very attractive man came out, wiping his mouth and straightening his shirt before his gaze fell on me.

“Hello.” He purred, a smirk plastered over his lips.

“Goodbye.” I choked out, before shutting myself in a different stall, completely closed away from both him and her.

Taking a deep breath, I sat on the toilet and tried to calm my breathing.

“You know what happens here.” I whispered to myself in a bid to accept it.

After finishing, I stood, straightening out my clothes.

Placing my hand on the lock I thought better of it, instead opting to place my ear against the solid wood door to listen for any signs of life outside.

But upon hearing nothing deemed it safe to go out from my confines.

As the door swung open I was a little cautious, but all in one motion bounded for the sinks.
I was just drying my hands when the slamming open of a stall door made me almost jump out of my skin.

“Hello again.” The man said.

“Goodbye... again.” I replied sourly, throwing the paper towel in the bin before making an attempt at the door.

“Why so quick to leave?” he asked, leaning on the door frame with a lazy expression.

“Because my friend is waiting for me outside and I have no time to chat.”

“Always rushing, not good for your health you know?” he replied, holding his hand out and gazing at his nails as if bored.

“Well thanks for that, are you a doctor?” I asked sarcastically.

“No, I could be though... I’m very knowledgeable.”

“Right, okay... but if you’ll excuse me.”

“You should take a leaf out of my book.” He smiled, ignoring my prior remark.

Sighing a little, I leant back and crossed my arms over my chest.

“I very much doubt that.”

“Carpe diem... that means seize the day.”

“I know what it means, and I will do so, as and when you get the fuck out of my way.” I retorted angrily.

He laughed, a little scarily before stepping forward.

“You’re incredibly fierce, have you ever been told that?” he asked with a mocking smile.

A felt a deep frown set itself onto my forehead, I was beginning to feel like a trapped animal, seriously uncomfortable in this whole situation.

Especially baring in mind what I had seen when I originally graced the toilets.

“I have actually. Now no one likes a gluttonous prick, so let me leave.” I replied, leaning my hand on the side of the sink.

“Hmm something told me you already knew what was happening, before,” he gestured to the other cubicle, “what you saw.”

“And you would be right, so move.” I nodded coldly.

“Don’t you want to be friends?” he smirked.

“I have enough, thank yo—”

As if on cue, Danny opened the bathroom door with a perplexed expression on his face, before seeing the scene in front of him.

“I came to see what was taking you so long.” He said, with a stony expression and his gaze directed completely on the other man.

“Him.” I muttered, gesturing offhandedly towards the man’s path.

Danny looked at me when I said that, before signalling for me to come to him with his index finger.
Breathing a sigh of relief I did exactly that, sidestepping the man who was no longer trying to keep me hostage and towards Danny and the club.

“Oh by the by Ruse, I was actually sent here to remind you of something.” The man suddenly said, not looking at me as opposed to his hands again.

“How do you know who I am?” I asked, frowning in disgust.

“Well, like I said; I am very knowledgeable,” He paused to smile and look up, his eyes flicking from me to Danny, “I have been sent to remind you of a certain promise made only a short while ago, they assured me you’d know what I meant and that soon the promise’s score will be settled,”

He looked at Danny again, before his eyes rested on me, “And since I know that isn’t Harlan, be a lamb and forward the message onto him, it saves me so much time and energy and then my duty is paid and I can do what the fuck I want.”

I stood there watching him, my mouth agape and face aghast at what he was telling me.
“What?” I whispered in shock.

He stepped forward towards me, “Something tells me you know what I said, you know what I mean and perhaps you know; that they are watching you.” He murmured into my ear.

I felt my whole body convulse in terror as the realization of his words set in, like a cold winter rain when you’d stupidly left your coat at home, sinking deep into my skin and chilling me to the bone.

Now it was the man’s turn to walk off, pushing past me and eventually Danny, whilst I stood stunned; trying to gather my thoughts and calm my pulse.

“Ruse...?” Danny asked from the doorway.

It took me a few moments, a few blinks of the eyes, a few instants to right myself and numb my mind enough to push past the erratic tumult of my subconscious.

“Yes?” I asked, the tone of my voice almost scaring me, I sounded so disjointed.

“Are you okay? Are you—?”

“I’m fine.” I replied, cutting his questions short, before turning around and forcing a smile.
“What was he talking about?” Danny frowned.

Taking a few breaths, “He was too vague; I’m not sure... at least not entirely.” I lied, knowing that Danny would catch me out; I opted to change the subject.

“Come on, we’ve been here far too long, let’s find the guys.” I said, walking past him and grabbing his arm to drag him along with me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Commento? x