Fallen Identity

Ch. 13

"So, what is the Daughters of Freya?" I asked, breaking Ellie from her trance.
"Basically, were just females who have a really good intuiton. Some can even see a few seconds into the future," she explained. "We can also tell what a person is feeling and distinguish people by their auras."
"That's how you know when I enter the store that it's me," I said.
"Yeah. I can also tell you what someone is. If their human or not," she nodded.
"Well that's cool. At least we know that I'm human," I laughed.
"Actually, I can't tell what you are," she sighed. I gasped.
"What do you mean you can't tell? I've been human all my life," I rambled.
"I mean, it's kinda fuzzy. That's never happened before and it was a main reason why I wanted you to work here. So I could observe you," she said sheepishly.
"Is it still fuzzy now?" I asked.
"Yes, in fact, it's even more fuzzy now," she said worriedly.
"How is that even possible?"
"I don't know and that's what troubles me," she drifted off into her own thoughts.
"Do you know what day it is?" I asked when I realized no one told me before.
"It's June 7th," she said after looking at her calander. June 7th? That meant tomorror was my birthday. I never celebrated my birthday before since I never had any friends or family to celebrate it with.
"I meant what day of the week is it?" I asked since that really was what I had been asking.
"Oh it's Sunday." I thought back to my first day here when she told me what days I'd have to come in. Thursday through Sunday, and the shop closes at 6, I remembered. I looked up at the clock that was hanging on the wall and read that is was only 2 in the afternoon.
"Alright, so should I get working now?" I asked Ellie. She looked up at the clock as well and then nodded. Since I already knew what to do, I got to work cleaning up the back room and before I knew it, it was 6 p.m. and Ellie was telling me she was going to lock up.
I strode out the fron door, only to walk straight into Zach. Ellie said goodbye to the both of us and then walked the opposite direction that we were going. Zach and I started walking back toward the safezone. Awkwardly, I might add.
"So does Ellie know what you really are or does she just know your not human?" I asked to break the silence. Plus, I was mildly curious.
"I don't know if she knows or not. It depends on what she was taught," he answered in a stolid voice.
"Oh," I simply replied, not really knowing what to say. I hadn't noticed that the dye in my hair was beginning to fade and looked more like a dark brown then a black and the blure was looking more like a robin egg blue.
I was so busy staring at the hair that was covering my face that I didn't notice the crack in the sidewalk. I slipped and started to fall forward. I shielded my face with my arms, but then I felt and hand on my shoulder. I was lifted back up to a standing position. I looked over to Zach who was smirking slightly.
"You should really watch where you're going," he chuckled and then walked off ahead of me. I stood there for a minute before catching up to him. I couldn't get over that he laughed. He always looked so emotionless. You could tell by his slight chuckle that he hadn't laughed in a long time. It felt good knowing that I made him somewhat happy, if only for a few seconds. Why do all guys laugh at clumsy girls?
As soon as I caught back up with him though, he was back to his emotionless state.
"You know, you should really laugh more often," I blurted without even thinking.
"And how do you know I don't laugh?" he asked.
"I just do," I replied.
"I see. Well, I don't really see any point in laughing," he said with that same emotionless tone.
"So what? Does that mean I have to trip and fall constantly just to get you to smile?" At that, Zach laughed a little.
"See? Doesn't it feel good to laugh, even just a little?"
"I guess," he sighed and then looked ahead as if he wanted to stop the conversation. But really, we were standing in front of the elevator doors. He let me enter first. Just like a gentleman would do for a girl, I thought.
"You should really treat me like a guy around everyone else," I said and he looked at me weird. "So they don't figure out my secret."
"Oh, right," he replied and then exited the elevator first to prove that he understood.
Everyone was waiting for us in the main room. Some quickly glanced at us then went back to whatever they were doing before but I got an odd sense that they all thought it was weird that Zach was being my 'escort'. Heck, I thought it was weird at first till I found out his reason why.
I walked to my room after greeting everyone and then took a quick shower. I was laying on my bed, flipping through the tv channels when I remembered the diary. I quickly snuck it out and flipped the page after the last page I remember reading.

March 3, 1991

It's been years since I have last written and the reason is this: Were in a war.
Jezebeth and Kobel have teamed up against us and their forces are strong. Jezebeth has a mass army that comes to her calling in a matter of seconds and Kobel and his little gang are very strong and powerful.
Were all hiding out right now, trying to think of a plan. I was able to get away for a few short minutes so I could write this entry. I just found my diary after I last hid it. Everything's been so chaotic lately. I feel like it's going to be a while before I'll be able to write again.
Iofiel Bellesa

A war? Does this mean they are still in a war? What happened? Curiosity got the best of me and I opened to the next entry.

June 10, 1994

Something happened. Or more like she happened. A small baby girl. The thing is, this girl is my daughter.
How is that even possible you might ask. I was going insane waiting for this big war to come and so I snuck out and went to a human bar. I decided to try an alchoholic drink and after a while, I felt the buzz that humans are always talking about.
I was drunk. And even worse, someone had put something into my drink so I was passed out.
I think you get the picture of what came next.
The only thing is, this baby girl is different. She's half angel and half human. I can't let her grow up living the life I live, so I gave her up for adoption.
After I found out I was pregnant, I hid away from everyone else ashamed. I still haven't shown my face.
Iofiel Bellesa

So she had a daughter? I didn't know that. I yawned and realized how tired I was. I put the diary back and then fell into another dreamless sleep.

I opened my eyes when I heard a slight knock on the door. I groaned and got up to answer it. It was Zach.