Fallen Identity

Ch. 24

It didn't strike me as odd until now, going through security on how they were able to get me through airport security. Airportsare really strict so how the hell was Zach able to sneak me through while I was sleeping? I mean, you can't even bring a bottle of toothpaste through the airport without it being confiscated.

Exitingan airport is a hell of a lot easier then entering one. All we had to do was just walk through the security and then leave. When we exited the airport, I noticed we weren'tin Chicago. I read a sign that said 'John F.Kennedy Airport'.

Where's that airport located? Oh right, New York City. New York City? Why were leaving the airport then? What about Chicago?

"Zach.. why arewe in New York?" I asked tentatively. Maybe he was losinghis mind..

"Because I thought it would be nice to get away from everyone for a couple days," Zach replied and called for a taxi. I was always afraid of taxis. Just the thought of going in one alone at my age andknowing most drivers were probably 40 year old men creeped me out. Theycould drive you to some unknown building and do - uh - things.

Zach sat in the back with me and told the driver where to go. The driver was female, which surprised me, and looked at us annoyed. I guess she thought we were going to make-out the whole time, which wasn't a bad thought..

I looked out the window, embarassed by my thought, and also, because I still thought that maybe they couldread minds.

"You okay?" Zach asked me, with confusion twisted into his tone.

"Yah, of course I am. Why do you ask?" I replied. He just shrugged and then grew silent. I guess there wasn't much to talk about with a stanger in the car.

For the rest of the car ride, we were silent and when we finally arrived ata hotel, Zach paid the lady and thanked her. The driverlooked.. impressed for some reason.

The hotel was a Ritz-Carlton and was celebrity material. Not two teenagers - well Zach wasn't a teen but he sure as hell looked like one - who just decided to stop into town for a couple days.

Zach told me to wait for a minute while he got the room key. Yes, one room. I know Zach wouldn't try anything on me though. Zach returned and then grabbed my hand and pulled me out the front door.

"What about our stuff?" I exclaimed.

"That's what bellhops are for," Zach said and then yanked on my hand and said, "Come on, let's go!"

I smiled and nodded 'ok'. I have been having this warm, tingly feeling that's been growing stronger everytime Zach touched me and having him look so happy and carefree just made me feel the same way.

Zach took me to a Ruby Tuesdays and it felt really nice but also really weird to actually be able to sit at a regular restuarant and order food without having anything to worry about. I guess I could count this as our first real date.

We talked about anything that was on our minds and I felt-

I felt something from outside. A weird feeling trailed up my spine and I could see the automatic convern in Zach's eyes when I got up and walked outside. Zach through a 50 on the table and then followed me.

"Carter? Where are you going?" Zach asked me as I continued to walk down the street. I passes countless people but they all seemed to have blank faces.

A face appeared out of the crowd and it gave me a wicked grin before turning to run off. I started to pick up my pace and soon enough, I was at full speed, chasing after the demon. I could feel Zach trailing behind me, but I was faster.

The demon finally stopped in an alleyway. Why does there always have to be so many dark alleyways in big cities? The demon turned around and stared at me. This demons was wearing it's human disguise but I could see through it now. My vision focused past the human facade and I could see it's raw form. The demon's eyes were stanger then ones I have met before.
The sclera was a deep crimson red and the iris was black, leaving the pupil a golden color.

The demon had what appeared to be fangs of a spider which sent chills down my spine. The demon's hands and legs were also spidery but it's body seemed like one of a snake. It was a weird combination but it had gray scales that covered it's whole body.

"So we meet at last. It was boring being able to only watch you from afar," the demon hissed and his voice sounded like it echoed. Could this dude be any more cliche?

I didn't say anything, I just glared at him until I heard muffled yells coming from behind me. I turned to see Zach banging against some sort of invisible wall. I could tell he was yelling but I barely heard a word he said. I knew it would be pointless to try and go over to him. This demon wanted to speak to me and obviously isn't going to just let me leave.

"The whole better realmhas beenbuzzing about you. The child that's both angel and demon. I had to come and find you for myself. I have a proposition," the demon said. Better realm? Did he mean the demon realm?

When he saw that I wasn't going to speak, the demon continued, "Dimoni wants you and he has assigned me for the job. If you surrender, then I'll make sure you won't be harmed on the journey back to the better realm. If you make me force you back, then I won't care what happens to you."

Obviously he was just trying to scare me. If this.. Dimoni wants me and assigned someone to come fetch me, then obviously he wants me alive so this demon would have to make sure I was unharmed. Dimoni. The name sounded familiar. I mentally slapped myself. Dimoni! The demons are also known as the Children of Dimoni. So that must mean that the ruler, lord, master or whatever you want to call him is Dimoni, and he wants to see.. me?

"I'll give you a week for your answer," the demon said and then disappeared, leaving a small flame on the floor where he once stood.
I knew that the demon was really gone when Zach's arms wrapped themselves around me from behind.

"What happened?" Zach asked.

"Do you know who Dimoni is?" I asked. I felt Zach stiffen and he turned me around so he could look at me.

"What happened?!" he asked again, but this time there was an edge to his words.

"A demon came and told me I had a week to surrender and that he was going to deliver me to Dimoni," I answered quickly.

"I hate having to tell you this, but you're going to have to run away again," Zach said after a moment.

"You're going to come with me right?" I asked.
"Yeah," he said.

"Alright," I breathed out, "When are we leaving? And where are we going?"

"We'll figure it out tomorrow. He gave you a week right?" Zach said and I nodded. "Ok, let's just get something to eat and then some sleep, okay?"

"Okay," I agreed.

I must say that I am really surprised at how well I am dealing with all of this. A year ago, I would've been screaming my head off, terrified. Now, it seems like any other day, like this is all natural to me.

It took us a while to find a cab and once we did, the ride back was another hour due to traffic and partly because that demon ran very far away from where we were before.

Zach and I decided we weren't hungry and went straight to our room. He had accidentally gotten a room with only one bed. He swore he asked for a two bed room but it's not like I minded.Zach stipped his shirt off and I couldn't help but stare at hischest.

After we were settled, I found that I couldn't fall asleep, which is really aggravating. I felt like I was sitting there for hours but when I looked at the clock, only ten minutes had gone by.

"Zach?" I whispered. "Are you awake?" I never got why people asked 'Are you asleep?' because if they were asleep, they wouldn't be able to answer.

"Yeah," he whispered back after a moment.

"Can you tell me how you supposedly kidnapped me?" I asked the first question that came to mind. I needed something to think about and I was really curious as to how he did it. Zach was half asleep, so he was probably more likely to answer.

"Fake IDs, sneaking around, and miragon," Zach answered.

"What's miagon?" I asked. How was he able to get fake IDs?

"It's where you can create or destroy an image in people's minds," Zach answered. Was this some kind of secret ability? If so, I want it.

I felt my eyes start to droop and struggled to stay awakebecause thatusually makes you even more tiredwhich is what I was aiming for. Before I knew it, I was finally asleep. I hope I dream up a small victory dance.

The sun was a purple color that spread across the crimson sky.I felt the deadgrass between my fingers and toes as I stood up. I looked around and only saw desert for miles and miles. I looked down and the grass Ihad felt was gone, replaced by black sand. Everything was quiet. No wind ornoises of animals. I don't think I was even breathing.

A loud bang erupted into my earsand I scrunched my face in pain. The bang didn't stop and if anything, itgrew even louder as time went on. I clutched at my ears, wishing, praying for that horrible noise to go away. Once it did, I opened my eyes slowly and saw that the scenery had changed immensely.

I was now standing at a podium in front of a crowd of faceless strangers; they looked like how they did earlier today, when the demonhad appeared.

The demon from before was sitting inthefrontrow, with his hands behind his head, grinning maliciously.I could see some of thepeople whispering toeachothereven though they didn't have mouths. Igrew anxious and nervous as I stood there.I could tell the crowd was becoming angry with me and some were laughing.

I couldn't speak, my mouth wouldn't letme talk and I panicked. The demon's smile was even wider then it was before andhe stood and said, "Well? Were waiting."

Theaudiencewas standing now as well, glaring at me even without eyes which Ifound frightening and amazing all at the same time. Now I could see the crowd moving towards the stage, some were already trying ti climb up and I back up slowly. The demon just stood there, grinning as the faceless people passed him, trying to get to me. I found myself up against a wall and a facelessman was just about to grab at me before I startled myself awake.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry this took a while. I am in Mexico right now on vaca and have been doing a lotta Mexican stuff. Anyways, I'll try to write faster =]