Fallen Identity

Ch. 8

It was tuesday so I'd have to wait a couple days before I get to start my new job. I was pretty excited. I never had a job before, and working at an antique shop might be fun. There are always interesting items at antique stores. Or so I've heard.
When I left the antique store, I headed to a small restaurant that was right across the street. I walked in and immediately noticed a girl around my age sitting alone in the back booth of the restaurant. It was like she sensed my presence or something because she looked up from her menu and stared straight at me. I hadn't realized the waiter was asking me if I wanted to sit at a booth or table and how many was in my party till he snapped his fingers in my face.
"Wha-? Oh sorry. Umm, I guess table for one," I answered him finally.
"That won't be necessary. He shall be dining with me," came a voice. I looked to my right and saw the girl standing there. The waiter nodded and shooed us back to our table.
"Umm, may I ask you a question?" I asked her after we sat down. She had loose black curls in her hair that was partially pinned up.
"Certainly," she replied. She had a thick accent. From where? I couldn't tell.
"Who are you?" I questioned. I noticed she had that same almost sinister and inhuman look about her that Kage had. Her eyes were a golden color though, which didn't make sense.
"My name is Jacine," she simply replied. Jacine? This was Jacine?
"So, I'm guessing you're going to kill me," I said.
"No," she said, looking over her menu again.
"No?" I asked, confused.
"You see, I'm very bored with how things are right now and I think you are just what we need to spice things up a little," she explained.
"Well you must be lieing," I said quickly, without thinking. I remember something about Jacine being the Demon of Falsehoods and Lies and that I should never trust anything she says.
"Hmm. They told you a lot didn't they?" Jacine gave a cruel smile.
"Maybe, depends on your definition of 'a lot'," I replied. I could tell she was a girl that loved to play twisted games of wit and strategy. She was always trying to poke a stick in your mind.
"You're too funny," she laughed. I swear, I think I saw every person's eyes dart to her just then. "And such a cutie." I swear, if she even thinks about pinching my cheeks, a fork is going straight into her eye.
"Now that's a lie right there."
"No, I'm being very truthful right now. I only use my lies when it's necessary," she gave me that cold and cruel smile again and it sent shivers down and back up my spine. I scoffed and then she said in almost a whisper, "You don't believe me."
It wasn't a question but I felt compelled to answer anyway. "No, I don't."
"You're different from other boys your age. A little to fragile," she simply stated.
"Maybe compared to the boys your used to, I guess you could say I'm fragile," I contradicted.
"No, more emotionally fragile.." she drifted off, as if remembering somthing from a long time ago. "Anywho, I shall see you again. Hopefully you'll still be alive. I'd take pleasure in being the one to destroy you." She stood up and walked away, almost disappearing. Her laugh echoed in the back of my mind. I got up and left as well, not so hungry anymore.
I noticed it was getting dark soon and thought I should be getting back before Kage and his gang could get ahold of me. I strolled slowly back and about midway of my walk, it started to rain. I guess I missed my cue to say, "At least it can't get any worse." I made it back to the elevator which seemed like hours later. I was soaked and it was pitch black outside.
I walked into the main room to see everyone looking worried. Everyone except Micah that is. Micah was nowhere to be seen but surprisingly, Nathaniel and Zach were there too.
"Why does everyone look like someone just died?" I asked.
"Because Carter is dead," Raz said.
"Well I must be a ghost or something because I'm standing right here," I replied. They all looked at me finally after I said that.
"Carter!" Cameal practically yelled. "You're not dead!"
"Of course I'm not dead," I asserted. "Do I look dead?"
"Well, it's just that we recieved this note taped to the elevator door when we returned this afternoon," Gabriel said, handing me the note.

Your little human pet is dead. Jacine took care of him.
Kage

"I did speak with Jacine, but obviously, she didn't kill me," I muttered, still looking over the note.
"You spoke with Jacine?!" they all shouted at the same time in perfect sync. Okay, that was just a little freaky. I swear, all of their heads became ten times larger like little anime characters.
"Yeah, she just wanted to tell me that I'm going to be a pawn in her little game between you guys and them," I explained nonchalantly.
"A game?" Elijah mumbled under his breath.
"She said she's bored and wants to spice things up a little," I stated. Then added, "She also thinks I'm a cutie, but that could be a lie."
"Jacine is known for playing Cat and Mouse a lot," Gabriel said slowly.
"She's also known for being a bitch," Cameal practically growled.
"She is a demon, you know that right?" Raz said to Cameal.
"No duh. I just thought that maybe she wasn't so cold-hearted," Cameal replied.
"Again, I repeat: She's a demon," Raz said. "She's supposed to be ruthless and evil."
"It's because of her looks isn't it?" I said suddenly. Everyone looked to me for an explanation so I complied, "She's very childlike in a way but also mature. She's beautiful and that's an understatement. When I was talking with her, it seemed whenever she laughed, every pair of eyes darted toward her. Also, her eyes are a golden color and gold is usually referred to as good. Seeing as how she's the Demon of Falsehoods and Lies, it only makes sense she can lie about her true feelings and nature. For all we know, she could want to be on the good side but chooses not too because she'd be embarassed, or she really is cruel and evil like she puts herself out to be. Either way, we'll never know."
They all looked speechless that I actually knew something. Well, I'm a pretty smart kid. I would have straight A's all through my school years if I had time to do my homework. Aceing my tests and quizzes can only get you so far. Plus, I was never able to do those big projects either. Teachers always praised my deducting skills but disapproved of the lack in homework. So my grades were just average. I have Mr. Berings to thank for that.
"Carter? Did you find a job?" Raz asked me, out of the blue.
"Yeah, I got a job at a small antique shop right down the street," I answered.
"Cool," Raz replied. That's when I remembered the nickname thing.
"Hey, how come you're the only one besides Zach that shortened your name?" I asked.
"Couldn't think of any nicknames for the others," Raz shrugged.
"What are you talking about? I can think of a nickname for everyone here. Except for me that is," I said. "Cameal could be called Cam. Elijah could be called Eli. Gabriel can be called Gabe. Micah could be Mike. And Nathaniel could just be Nate."
"Those names are ridiculous. No one would be named that," Cameal cut in. "Pfft. Who would call their child Cam?"
"Actually, a lot of people would. I've met people with those names before. Raz is probably the only name that no one would have," I stated.
"Seriously? Dang, you humans are strange," Cameal said. I'll admit that I'm strange but all humans are? They're probably more humans then their are angels.
"Thanks for the compliment," I sneered.
"No problemo," Cameal replied.
"Hey! Wait a minute..." I nearly shouted, "You've all lived her for a long time. Surely, you must have come across someone with those names."
"We don't usually converse with the humans," Elijah said.
"You're our first human buddy. You should feel lucky that you're the only one that knows about us," Cameal stated and gave me a big grin. Who says 'buddy' anymore?
"You've never told anyone? Not even when you're drunk or something?" I contradicted.
"We don't consume alchohol," Gabriel simply said. We all somehow made it over to the kitchen table where somehow, a grilled cheese sandwich popped up in front of us. Odd.
"You're saying you've never drank any form of alchohol before? That's insane," I snorted. What kind of teenage boy doesn't try alchohol at least once?
"Not really. Alchohol just doesn't affect us," Elijah stated.
"I'm guessing drugs don't do anything either?" I asked.
"Your guess would be correct," Raz answered. I looked down to see half my grilled cheese already eaten. Weird, I didn't even realize that I had taken a single bite.
It was nearly nightfall when we finished talking. They all asked me questions about what a good high and buzz feels like. I tried drugs and alchohol before as a way to escape the physical pain that Mr. Berings put me under. I soon realized that drinking and smoking wasn't that good for my grades and stopped cold turkey.
A good high always felt like you didn't have a care in the world. You were just their wasting time. A buzz would make you forget a lot of the time and just party. You'd laugh a lot and giggle at anything, which was probably the only reason I started drinking in the first place. Just for those few moments of bliss. I was relieved when none of the guys asked me why I drank and smoked because frankly, I was too tired to think of a lie.
I collapsed onto my bed and quickly fell asleep. Unaware of the fact that I would be having the worst nightmare of my entire life.