Fallen Identity

Ch. 9

A glistening light shone ahead of me. It was beautiful and hypnotizing. I looked down, only to see that I am wearing a silky, white dress that grazed just below my knees. It had a huge red stain in the middle and parts of the dress were shredded but it was still beautiful nonetheless. I was in a sort of trance as I trudged toward the strange light. I gasped in pain as a piece of glass cut the bottom of my foot. I wasn't wearing shoes and their was broken glass everywhere. I knew it would be impossible to get to the light without totally ruining the bottoms of my feet but it seemed I was aching to get to the light.
I crouched over and brushed away some of the pieces of glass in front of me. I started crawling, making a clear and decent path. I noticed my hair was long and blonde again. It curled at the ends and seemed more golden then the dirty blonde I remember it being. I continued on my way towards the light. That's when the images appeared. Images of the terrible things Mr. Berings had done to me flew past as I kept crawling forward, blinking back tears. The the images grew more gruesome; more terrifying.
Regular humans started to transform into horrifying creatures. The ones from scary movies and ones that you can't even describe. A word flickered into my mind. Demons. They were demons. They say nothings more horrid then a demon's true form. I was still making my way to the light. Slowly but surely. I was just inches away from it when the images finallly faded away. I reached a hand out for the light and then a shrill noise blasted through my ears, numbing my body. I was paralyzed from the sound that emanated from everywhere. Blood started to pour from my ears, nose, mouth and eyes. My head was pounding and felt like it was going to burst. And just when the pain became too much to take, I woke up.
My eyes flashed open to see the white cieling of my room. I glanced around frantically in fear of any of those creatures popping out from under my bed or out of the closet. After a couple minutes, I finally calmed down. I was sitting up with the blanket in a disarray. I noticed I was wearing my clothes from yesterday and my hair was black and short. I was about to lay back down when a red splotch caught my eye. On my pillow was a small pool of blood. Exactly where my ear had been when I woke up. I gasped and jumped out of the bed. I instinctively put my hands to my ears to see if any other traces of blood were there. Only dried blood remained on my right ear.
I wondered if I hadn't woken up when I did, then maybe I would be dead right now. How is this even possible? I stumbled to the bathroom and looked at myself in the mirror after washing my face thoroughly. I noticed my eyes were red and puffy as if I had been crying all night. My hair was messy but I didn't really care. I've been taking short, quick showers since moving in here because I heard guys aren't ones for spending an hour in the bathroom but today, I was going to be taking a long one.
I let the scalding hot water pour over my skin as I thought back to the nightmare. The question that kept coming to mind was: What was that strange light? I couldn't put my finger on it. When I finally got out and got dressed, I looked at the time. 8:33 a.m.! What time did I wake up anyway? Stupid nightmare made me lose precious hours of sleep.
I decided since I had time to kill that I would read the journal page from Iofiel Bellesa's diary that I forgot to read last night. I snuck the book out of it's compartment and flipped to the fourth page and began to read.

March 1865

Time is very odd. At least.. in the human world it is. An hour can feel like a day at times and then other times a day can feel like the blink of an eye. For us though, time has never been of much importance. We live forever in peace. Humans however, use time as a sort of way to countdown to their departure.
Demons are becoming scarce now. It seemed a huge revolt was coming and now it seems as if the demon existence is fading. I wonder what happens to us. Without demons, we serve no purpose being here. I haven't written in years and that's because I thought I lost this one and didn't have the heart to buy a new book. Micah had given me this journal when we were little. He had the cutest smile as a kid.
Iofiel Bellesa

It's hard to imagine Micah as a kid. He always seems to ageless and off living in his head. Heck, it's hard to imagine any of them as little kids running around, not having a care in the world.
I snapped the book shut and tucked it away. I made one last look in the mirror. Nightmares like this tend to make people overcautious. I guess people think the worse is more likely to happen then the better.
I bolted for the main room where I say everyone lounging on the couch. Each and every one of them looked tense and nervous; including Micah. I felt the exact same way.
"Uh, hey guys," I greeted them. Gosh, I'm a terrible actor when it comes to covering up my fears. I sound so lame.
"Did you hear it too?" Cameal immediately asked me as I took a chair that was by the couch.
"Hear what exactly?" I asked. Was he talking about the loud deafening noise in my dream? If so, that's not a good sign.
"The scream of course," Gabriel cut in. Scream?
"It was horrible. It was a women's scream. Well more like a teenage girls' scream. It was loud and we couldn't tell where it had come from," Raz explained. Was this scream the noise I heard in my dream? The noise sure didn't sound like a scream.
I contemplated on if I should lie about whether I heard the scream or not. If I heard it then that would explain why I was all nervous and tense like them but then again, I don't know what time the scream occured or for how long it went on. And if I told the truth and said I didn't hear the scream, they might think it was me who screamed and discovered my secret. I'm pretty sure I wasn't the one who screamed though. I haven't screamed since I was 11 years old. I guess I'm going to have to take a risk.
"Oh that. Yeah, I've been trying to forget about it. It freaked me the hell out," I lied; smoothly if I say so myself.
"It freaked everybody out. Were going to have to investigate," Raz said to me, "You are going to have to stay here. Kage might be nearby."
"How about I just go to the antique shop where my job is. See if they can tell me what to do. Kage wouldn't attack in public would he?" I said. I really didn't want to stay indoors today. I needed to get out and shake that nightmare off.
"Ok, but don't go down any alleys and always walk with a crowd," Raz replied after a moments though. I told them I would just leave now and left in a hurry. My fears were starting to slip through my lie and I was afraid I'd start to get all panic-y. I ran to the antique store since I need to exersize some time or else I wouldn't have the muscles that make me look somewhat guyish without the clothes and hair.
"Carter? Is that you?" A voice called from the back room after I stepped into the small shop. How did she know it was me?
"Uhh, yeah," I answered. Ellie strode into the room from the back and smiled.
"I had a feeling you were going to be showing up today," Ellie said to me.
"Are you a psychic or something?" I asked. I've already met demons and fallen angels; psychics wouldn't be all that surprising.
"No, but I do have a woman's intuition," Ellie winked at me like I was supposed to know what she meant. I raised an eyebrow and replied, "Huh?"
"Carter, I know you're not really a guy," Ellie finally said. What?
"What?!"
"Listen, I won't tell anyone your secret. Obviously you ran away for a reason and dressing like the opposite gender was smart thinking," She said and then added, "I just don't want a nice, young lady to lose touch with her feminine side; y'know?"
I thought maybe I could trust her. And maybe acting like myself and hanging out with another girl would be good for me. I never really had a sisterly figure or a motherly one and maybe, just maybe, Ellie could fill one of those spots.
"I ran away because of who I was living with," I began to say while small tears started to fill my eyes. I then proceeded to tell her the whole reason of why I ran away.
"And no one's ever believed you when you told them what that horrible man did to you?" She asked after I was finished. I just shook my head no in reply. Now I was crying like a baby and sobbing. Ellie pulled me in for a hug and I just stayed there and cried and when I finally calmed down and pulled away, Ellie began to ask em questions.
"Have you been going to school?" she asked. I just shook my head no again.
"Are you living somewhere safe?" I shook my head yes.
"Ok. You can still work here, that is, if you still want the job," she said.
"Yes. I'd still like the job," I gave her a weak smile. After that she showed me what I had to do for work everyday. Mostly it was cleaning the storage room up for now and fixing anything I see broken or out of place. I might even man the cash register some days if someones absent. When I was about to leave Ellie called out to me, "Carter! Be careful. You may feel unimportant now but you never know what's in store for you."
"Right. I'll make sure to remember that," I replied, then headed out. It was the middle of the aftenoon and the spring air would've felt nice on my skin if it weren't for all the buildings, cars, and people causing the air to be filled with pollution and strange aromas.
I started to walk back toward the safe haven. I looked down at my feet as I walked and slipped my hands into the pockets of my jacket. I probably looked like some pedophile. I made sure to not walk down any alleyways or go into any suspicious stores. I was on a more desolate street when I felt a sharp pain on the back of my head, and then I blacked out.