Starlets and Stargazers

Starlets and Stargazers

It all begins with change. Yes, that one, simple word so many have undergone.

It really, really pisses me off, you know? Not change itself, but the people who react to it.

Let me give you some examples.

You wouldn't care much about my personal life, aye? But who cares?

I'm Lynn Marie. Or Lynn, for short. Eighteen years young and already famous. Got myself a lucky break, did I? Well, I guess I did, with my four man(and woman) band. Black haired, ONCE hated in school for being the little bitch who had to screw up trends, and pretty annoying according to some people.

Look, here's the catch - my band, Velocity (stupid name, I know), crashed into the big spotlight just two months ago. The hit song, the one song that went way overplayed on radio, the one that propelled us into light was titled "Gifts don't make Friends". Stupid, and up till today, I still think so.

Should've been Christmas come early, but hey hey - guess what? Change had to take the fuck over, and I wasn't happy.

I mean, we've got our first album out and all that shit, now we're planning on another album. And...viola! Change, change, change.

I should elaborate and fill you guys up first. Michael Kurt. Mike's the drummer, the kind of hardcore metalhead that can put nails through your head. Blond (hah), green eyed (double hah) and looking pretty much like a cuboid, in my opinion. Also known as the silent rocker of the band, he really can whip up a storm on those drums of his. What can I say? He's the one guy that drives the band along.

Stacey White. Stace's the bassist, the "pretty chick" of the band. But hey, everyone thinks we're pretty or cute or handsome, but I don't think I'm pretty. I personally think that I'm one ugly bitch, but it ain't me I'm talking about here. Stace's the one who looks a little like Avril Lavigne's new "punk self", just that her hair...oh, don't get me started. Bright pink, blond streaks, black streaks...just...oh, what a completely marvellous array. Enough said. She's got this really haywire style - lacy miniskirt, ripped and torn black tee, white hoodie, black eyes and they all somehow seem to match.

Oreo...our spastic lead guitarist. Also known as...Oreo, really. His real name's Peter Delaney, but it somehow was evolved into Oreo. I don't really know how he got that name, it's been forgotten over the passing of time and all that nonsense. But hey, the dude was fun to be around, black and messy hair along with fringe flying all over the place when he spazzed his way through every stage show and gig we got. It's true, I swear. And he still manages to be pretty good at it. Someone said that he spazzes like Frank Iero of My Chemical Romance, but no, we all agree that Frank's way better than him. Oreo's happy playing second fiddle.

And me. Lynn. Lead vocals, while Stace does the back up. And also rhythm guitarist of this band. Black hair with dark green highlights (haha), dark brown eyes, plain and normal nothing-fancy dress sense. I'm nothing special, and yet, I'm frontwoman (or was it all suppsoed to be frontman?) of the band. I talk too much when I'm dedicated to the task. Oreo says I'm nuttier than him, and I don't believe it. I might be more eccentric or paranoid, but nutty? No fucking way.

Okay, enough said about the four of us. Well, let's say before, we weren't exactly the popular chicks and dicks of the school. Highschool prom queens like that Valerie owned the school, big time dudes like Chuck (basketball team captain) ran the whole school heirachy. We, silent and individual trendsetters in our own way, loving the kind of "My Chemical Romance emo", "Green Day punk", rock style of music, weren't the most welcome people.

They called us all goth, emo, punk, ignorant labels and such in our own way. Because Oreo and I liked My Chemical Romance, we were the "emo couple" of the school. Very funny, and we weren't even dating. Stace was the "punk", what with her pink hair and all her dress sense. Mike was the "goth" because he wore black nail polish to school one day for kicks. He shrugged off the label like it was just some stray snow falling from a beech tree, godammit.

Okay, so we weren't exactly the most popular. Then when we got together to form a band and topped the charts once we were discovered, BAM! All that changed.

We were the new cool kids in town, everyone wanted to know us, from ex-friends to complete strangers. Even that prom queen Valerie, she came up to Stace one day and asked her how exactly did she manage to acessorize so well, and she's never really spared us all a second glance before that.

Girls that never spoke to them before now wanted to date Mike and Oreo, calling them "hot" or one thing and another. Same went for me and Stace, only this time, it was guys that never really talked to us. This was disgusting, if you ask me. Change.

Up till now, we've never really dated anyone else. Mike already has a girlfriend outta school, Stace has been going on and off with someone, Oreo and I are debating the dating issue between ourselves. It's all confusing shit. And now, everyone seems over concerned about our personal lives. Get off our cases, my god. You never cared before we got famous, and now Velocity's the "in thing", you come up and declare your undying love?

Oh please.

Change sucks, big time. We're worried on the subject of maintaining our sound or not, whether people will accept that we might've changed just a little bit. Oreo couldn't get any fucking sleep because we kinda went deeper into sound discussion one day at band practice. Sheesh. I worried about the sound issue all week long.

I mean, look - My Chemical Romance changed their sound, and well, their fans think they've sold out just because they've gotten more mainstream, not really of their own choice. They put themselves out there, and some people weren't too happy with it. They haven't sold out, they never did. Oreo and I believe that. Mike can't be bothered, he still thinks they're "okay". Stace...doesn't really give a damn about who My Chemical Romance is.

So that's what we're worried about, people accusing us of becoming sell outs. We want people to still like us however we've changed, not in a big, big way. We never wanted to sell out, just make music that we like.

And that's all. We're the ones who'd like to be up there as stars, real stars one day. But now, we can only look up and hope.

My Chemical Romance changed, and they've gotten shit for it. They love what they're doing, and they're getting shit for it. We're worried about that happening. I mean, I don't mind, but Oreo's pretty delicate inside, Stace pretends not to care, and Mike shows his concerns openly. I say they're too worried, but I in turn worry for them. How tragic.

I still believe that MUSIC IS MUSIC. You like it, mainstream or not, sell out or not, label or not, you like it. It's what you like that really matters, not what freaking sounded better.

I'm still worried for all the others, wondering how they'll take it when the cry of "sell out!" finally comes.

I can look at the new video by Fall out Boy (The Take Over, The Break's Over) and cry. Adressing changes, yet again. I'm so worried for the band. I don't think Mike and Stace can take it too lightly. Oreo is just a bundle of nerves. Me...well, I just worry for them, like I said.

You can't really make out something too be too good, then it'll all fall to crap when it's finally out because of your godly expectations. That's why everything seems like shit nowadays. Don't expect too much, or what'll come out is crap that'll only serve to disappoint.

All the stars in Hollywood, attention whores, desperate celebreties, whatever. They're the starlets, the ones who'd change and sell out to get any sort of publicity, even going as far as drink driving into a lamp post.

They're the real starlets, not us.

We'll never want to appear on MTV - apparently, people think that ANYTHING that appears there is some mainstream sell out shit. Pure crap. I've seen some really good bands on there, and let me tell you - none of them have sold out.

I wish some people would get it into their heads that sell out doesn't mean more POPULARITY or FAME or CATCHINESS in the music field. What selling out in music really means is making music that appeals to a different audience for the SOLE INTENTION of gaining more popularity and fame.

So, selling out is intentional, not something that can't be controlled by the band at all. Whatever. I'm past caring.

We look up, and hope that one day, we, if not everyone else, will be accepted for who WE really are.

Mike looks up, hoping that one day, he will be a legend of a drummer.
In our eyes, he already is.

Stace just wishes she that could be perfect enough for everyone that ever mattered.
She doesn't have to worry, she's already more than perfect.

Oreo wants to be loved for who he is, not the little monster you get at gigs.
He's already loved.

I just want everyone to be happy. I just want everyone in this world to accept others for who they are. I want everyone to forget selling out, to forget the mainstream label, to forget the genre of music, to forget the band itself.

I want everyone to remember what THEY themselves like.
I want everyone to remember that it's all about the music, not the image, not the band, not the genre.
Especially not the selling out and mainstreaming.

I just want everyone to ACCEPT change for once.
Change. Accept it, because it will happen to you.

I mean, your emotions do change, right?
You used to be tiny.
You were once happy, carefree, and naive.
You were once just a little kid with big dreams, right?

Don't tell me that YOU never changed at all throughout the course of your entire waking life?

The people in Hollywood, the chicks who flaunt their bodies and flesh, the people who do anything for attention. The people who can't adapt, even at home right now. The people who have no room for acceptance in their hearts.

They are the Starlets.

We, the ones who accept change, the band, the ones who want hope in our lives. We and all the few out there who who love something, even if it was labelled, or called sell outs because it got more mainstream. We, who love something because we DO. We who love it, because we just love it for what it really is, label, genre, selling out, mainstreaming or not.

We, who like because we like it as individuals. We, who have our own true opinions.

We are the Stargazers.

========

A/N: Something inspired me to do this, but mainly because I'm pissed off at some people on youtube. Some of you might be angry at me for writing this, i don't care. More of a little rant deep inside, this story is.