The Only Cure...

Lies, Lies and Acting

Dawn stood in the shadows at the edge of the alleyway, waiting. Some people were rubbish at reading the signs. Then again, some other people were really very good at acting. Any second now…

The it-girl pulled Brandon out of the door, into the cool street. The only light came from the street lights, and the slight moonlight. What was that girls name? Dawn never had known. She’d kept away from the ‘cool’ people at school, just to make sure that they kept away from her.

Brandon, now Brandon hadn’t needed to. He was one of those that was good with everyone. It was hard to tell if he didn’t like you. An airhead like that couldn’t tell an A grade drama student acting in real life, even though he had been dancing to Avril Lavigne with her. Hadn’t she seen his school folder? It had all that Anti-Fake stuff on it.

Some people only believe what they want to, or what they can handle. And them, they are the ones that are oh so easy to take advantage of. What kind of idiot girl was she?

Just as it looked like Brandon was about to kiss the girl, no doubt her heart was fluttering like a cutesy pie butterfly, and he looked up. He looked right at Dawn, and she knew it. She could just about make out his quiet words.

“It’s a bit open here… I bet you want to be the one to announce this, rather than some gossiping bitch that saw us?”

With this, it was his turn to lead her. She looked fit to burst with excitement as he pulled her down the alleyway. The self same alleyway that Dawn was standing in. He had his back to the girl, and he and Dawn exchanged evil grins. The poor stupid thing couldn’t even see in the dark, anyway.

“Brandon…”

“Shut up.” He cut her off. There was only so much acting he could do, and only so much he could take of her voice. “You are the most annoying, pointless person on this planet.”

Loss, grief or maybe a broken heart filled her eyes, and the tears and words didn’t come yet. Dawn stepped behind them, blocked the girls exit from the alley so that she was trapped between them. She coughed, and the girl turned around. Her eyes were adjusting to the darkness, and she managed to make out Dawns face, set against the light of the street.

The sadness in her eyes flickered to anger, and she hissed the word ‘you’ before her eyes were now full of fear, and she wouldn’t speak again, for one of Brandon’s hands was over her mouth, the other round her waist, holding her still. His full vampire face was beside hers, and her terrified eyes met his before the fear gripped her and she fainted.

She hadn’t even got round to trying to scream.

When she came round, seconds later, she was lying on the floor in the alleyway; a concerned Brandon looked down at her, from a crouching position. Confused, she just looked at him.

“Oh, sweetie! You passed out!” Then the acting was over again, as a full vampire faced Dawn moved so the girl could see her, hugging Brandon from behind. “We couldn’t let you go without telling you what we had to say…”

She tried to get up and run, but Dawn grabbed her hair and pulled her back down. Trembling, she looked at the two vampire faces looking down at her. She was beyond screams now, she was too afraid to make a noise.

“Good girl. I can’t stand you, don’t go thinking you can escape. You and your friends bullied me; do you even know my name?” She shook the girl, who merely cried. “Well? Do you?”

Still holding her by her now messy hair, Dawn pulled her head to the side and held her shoulder with her other hand. Brandon took his turn to speak.

“Really. Why would I like you? You’re a childish giggly bimbo who is, to be honest, scary. The world is a much better place without you.”

With that, the vampires feasted. Their only redeeming feature at that moment was their careful picking of a victim; their ridding the world of another Barbie it-girl.

Later, as the two of them got into his car to drive away, leaving the bloodless corpse for the people about to spill out of the club, Dawn turned on the CD player and the licence plate style name plate in the rear window read SP1KE.