The Only Cure...

Along Came Alice

It was dusk, and the two vampires were still sleeping. Neither of them had been early birds when they were alive, why change that now they were dead? Curled up together, they were asleep in a stone coffin, the lid pushed askew. The coffin itself, one of those sarcophagus-like square ones, was in the centre of the mausoleum. Brandon had his arms wrapped around Dawn, and Dawn had her arms around an alarm clock. She hugged it like it was a teddy; it would definitely wake them up when it went off.

It was seven, a whole hour before the alarm was set to go off. The mausoleum door creaked open, throwing soft moonlight inside, just enough light to see by. A figure swung a torch around, the light stopping on the stone coffin. The figure crept towards it and peered in; the torchlight illuminated the sleeping faces.

“Aw, would you look at that,” she laughed, “the kiddies are still napping.”

With this she poked Brandon in the ribs, causing him to wriggle and disturb Dawn. They groggily woke up, squinting at the torchlight, the glare preventing them from seeing its holder.

The figure set the torch down on the coffin lid, and the two vampires that had been sleeping a few minutes earlier climbed out of the stone coffin. The light now lit up most of the mausoleum, and the third person in the room was Alice.

Alice was a vampire. She was the one that sired Brandon, prior, of course, to his siring Dawn. The reason that they weren’t staying with their sire, or for Dawn, grandsire, was that none of them had anywhere to stay. Alice had left them in the cemetery, and left to find them somewhere.

She wasn’t much for clichés, but people don’t tend to go nosing in mausoleums, unless they’re so-called brave kids, and that’s more likely to be at night, not when the vampires are asleep and vulnerable. And vampires don’t tend to like admitting vulnerability. Or sunlight.

So now, in the cold night, they followed her, like a three person parade, to wherever she was leading them. She was commanding, she had black hair and wore gothic black clothes, she was from another age, and trousers were not her at all. Behind her, the two teenagers felt strangely out of place.

Dawn had brown hair, wore jeans and tee shirts. She’d not met Alice more than twice; she still felt a little intimidated by her grandsire, especially as she had died in her twenties. Brandon had black hair, slightly shaggy and ear length. He wore jeans and tee shirts, but he knew his sire quite well, after all, she was his sire.

They recounted their story of a fun kill, and the thrill of knowing that too many stunts like that could get them staked. At least now they would have Alice. Alice had been around a while, and she knew how to survive.

They walked up an alleyway, down to a side door. Alice knocked twice, and the other two waited. A small hatch opened, but there was still glass in between the eyes in the hatch and Alice. The eyes were green, and frowning. Alice simply looked straight back into their gaze. The hatch slammed shut and the sound of a few bolts being shifted rang softly. The door opened as far as the chain would let it.

“Alice…” came the voice. A red haired woman stood in the crack, not a vampire, and a little taller than Alice. She had a look about her that screamed, don’t mess with me. “Let me see the kids, first.”

Alice looked at her two protégés and impatiently motioned for them to move into view. They started, and did so. The pair of green eyes narrowed, peering at them, before disappearing as the door shut.

Brandon and Dawn looked confused, before the chain slid loudly, and the door opened. Alice pushed the two of them into the dark room, and the red haired woman shut the door, and re locked it.

“Cant be too careful, if you catch my drift.” Alice nodded, as the statement had been aimed at the other two. “So who the hell are you?”

Brandon looked at Alice, and then Dawn, before stepping forward, as if to ask permission. He looked the red head boldly, eye to eye. Impressive, as she was tall and intimidating.

“I'm Spike, and this is Dusk.” He said, pointing to Dawn, who nodded. “Who the hell are you?”

“Nice names.” She laughed. “I’m Pandora. I guess you used to watch TV a lot. Me, I read. Welcome to Pandora’s Box night club. Well, I say night club. Night bar would be more accurate.”

The two women walked out of the room, while the teens followed, still a little confused. The walked down a corridor into a room with four beds and a blacked out window. Pandora smiled. She really was too confident; you could see it in her eyes.

“This is where you get to stay. Who knows? You might have to share with some other without anywhere to stay. Come on, come have a drink.”

Alice sauntered into the bar, Dusk and Spike following, and Pandora came in and shut the door behind them. There were vampires, mostly, but there were werewolves and demons around the place. A female vampire was serving behind the bar. Finally, Spike and Dusk seemed happy in their surroundings.