Status: Completed

The Nameless Face

The Nameless Face: The Symbol

A light drizzle had began, creating little damp spots of paper in the book Emeri was reading. She swiftly shut The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton, and stood up from her asylum at the foot of a mango tree. Her hand slipped the book under her hoodie as she began to walk from under the haven the mango tree provided.

Not as much as ten steps later, she felt something hard strike her back. Emeri turned abruptly, annoyed that someone had just ruined her previously peaceful, idiot-free trip. In the distance, she could distinguish two darkly clad figures approaching her. She waited, with a grimace on her face, for the culprit of her moodiness to come closer.

When the first of the two figures finally stood before her, she immediately began to scrutinize him. She took in his rather tall stance, his long, slender arms and legs. His shaggy, raven hair, highly contrasted the paleness and smoothness of his skin, jutting out at odd angles. The striped hoodie he wore was partially covering his ‘Samhain’ band shirt, and did not seem to match his tattered, faded, denim jeans.

Emeri suddenly concluded that he was indeed very handsome once she looked into his dark, russet eyes. She altered her focal point to the second figure, not nearly doing as much examination. It was as though she was not really seeing what was directly in front of her. At the most, she noticed his apple colored eyes that had a greyish tint to it, and his multiple facial piercings.

“Sorry about that. This idiot has no aim.” The second person made a mock rude gesture toward the attractive man to his left while he spoke, rolling his eyes, but smiling nonetheless. He seemed to be a very social and friendly person. She felt as though they would be great friends someday for some reason.

“Hmm…” She glanced at the supposed ‘idiot’. “Maybe you should work on that.” Her tone came out to be less forceful that she had initially intended it to be, and she mentally cursed herself.

“So… um, can we have our mango back?” The second man spoke again. His voice was quite perky. He spoke as though they had been friends since their early childhood, a pleasant smile still playing on his lips.

Emeri made a face of perplexity. Mango? These men were playing with a mango? Peculiar as it was, she looked down and spotted the mango at her feet. She glimpsed back at the two people standing in front of her, wondering if they were indeed serious. Maybe it was just her, but she found this situation very odd and the thought of it peeved her a bit. All this crap over a damn mango? However, an indulgent part of herself contradicted her preliminary idea. This is not crap it is pure luck.

She bent her knees, outstretched her hand to grab the mango, and handed it back to the man with the shadowy, emerald eyes, since it was he who asked. She turned to the man who had not yet spoken. “Maybe you should be more careful next time eh?”

He merely lifted an eyebrow, amused at the way she subtly told him what do. Maybe she was hinting at meeting at another time. In truth, neither of them knew what exactly she was hinting at, or even if she was hinting anything at all.

Emeri nodded as a sign of a farewell, hoping to sever the gauche silence that had envelope the previous, slight conversation. She turned around, wanting nothing more at the moment to walk away. Her scorching cherry hair swished to meet her cheek as she did so.

Her thoughts switched quickly back to the current rainfall that had been only a drizzle not too long ago. The weather appeared to be intensifying by the moment, so she decided to pull up the hood of her jacket. It seemed that Emeri had forgotten that she had placed her book in between her hoodie, for it slipped out when her hands had left their place on her stomach. It was not that she had something there to protect, it just happened to be a subconscious habit of hers, existing since her birth.

The man with the dim, jade eyes was immediately at her side, bending down to pick up the book before she had even thought to react. He smiled vibrantly at her and handed her the book back.

“Oh. Thank you…” Her voice trailed off. For another strange reason, she had felt like an absolute airhead. She had yet to uncover his name.

“Aaron.” he finished curtly for her.

Once again, she took a glimpse at the dark-haired man standing a few feet away from her. A smirk spread on her lips when she saw him, his eyebrow raised in enjoyment. Emeri’s cheeks were now only a few shades lighter than her hair.

“Um... I’m going to be drench if I don’t leave her soon,-” the first man that had come chuckled a bit and Aaron shot him a warning glance; she had understood that sounded wrong “so I’ll be on my way now.” She began to walk away without another thought.

“’Bye…” the voice of Aaron rang out.

Emeri noticed that he left the sentence hanging, hinting for her to supply her name. She did not, however; it just did not seem important at the moment. All she wanted to do was take a long nap, surrounded by the warmth only her bed could provided. She trotted down the pathway to her house without another word.

And they never saw each other again