3 Cheers For Sweet Revenge

Hang 'Em High

This wasn't real, it couldn't be real.

When I opened my eyes, I was sitting in the passenger seat of a car. I was covered in blood, my body aching and tired. I tried to sit up from my slouch, but felt the sudden pain of a gunshot wound.

"Fuck!" I cried out.

"Easy killer! Don't hurt yourself now!"

It wasn't until then did I bother to see who the driver was. I looked over at him, a dark figure covered in blood, just like me. He wore a stained and dingy untucked blackshirt with blood stains and numerous holes, black pants, a barbed wire necklace, and a cigarette pinched between a smile.
Image
"Who the fuck are you?" I asked weakly, my vision was cloudy.

"Who am I? Oh right, youv'e never seen me outside of your head have you?" the stranger said, looking over at me with dark red eyes.

"You're..you're Black?!" I asked, confused.

"In the flesh, or should I say, in your mind."

I didn't understand, he saw it by the look on my face, so he smiled, passing me the lit cigarette.

"Look, we had a helluva gunfight back there at the house! You got pegged good, and I saved us. You're wondering why I'm outside of you right?"

I nodded, too weak to speak.

"Right now, you are wounded, bad. I took over your body, I'm driving us. Right now, you're having an astral projection of things, and 'out of body' experience so to speak. In reality, you're watching yourself drive, but I'm in control. So sit back and relax."

"What happened back there?" I asked, taking a short drag off of the cigarette.

He smiled at me, his eyes flashing with excitment, "We did well, I'll fill you in as we ride into the sunset here."

I leaned back in my seat, trying to not focus on the pain.

"Am I dying?"

He looked over at me, a lock of his black hair covered one of his eyes, "No, you'll make it. It's just a nasty flesh wound. But don't worry, I plugged you up good and tight!"

"Really? You know what you are doing?" I muttered.

"Trust me! Would I lie to you?"

"Well I've got something to say.." I began.

"Save it. Relax damn it! But do me a fave? Grab that six gun from your back, and hand it to me?"

I reached behind me and pulled the small revolver from the holster, handing to him.

"Thanks," he said cheerfully, wedging the gun between his legs.

"What are you-?"

"In case we get stopped, I can pop the guy." Black explained plainly, "You wanna know what went down?"

I nodded, trying to get comfortable at the same time.

"Well, here's your answer in spades!"

He reached out, touching my left temple with one of his blood crusted fingers.
A million sensations, thoughts, and emotions swam over me all at once.
Voices started whispering in my ears, some sounded like Black, others sounded like another man, another sounded like me, and yet another sounded like a woman.

"Shotgun sinners" whispered the one man.
"Wild eyed jokers" hissed the woman.
"Got you in my sights you bastard!" I heard Black say before I saw a wounded Swat team member get his face blown off by a point blank shot to the face from a sawed-off shotgun.

"What is going on?" I exclaimed.

"Nothing, I'm just making you remember what has happened! Nevermind the voices!" Black replied.

"Who are they?"

"I said nevermind them!" Black said coldly from somewhere in the void.

The scene kept fading in and out of a swirling blood read cloud, cutting in and out of me cutting, stabbing, shooting, and butchering officer after officer throughout the house we had abandoned.

"I did all of that?!"

Black laughed, "You?! Ha! Never in a million fuckin years buddy! That's all me!"

"What happened?!"

Black sighed impatiently, "In case you haven't already guessed. You were wounded, and I took over. You passed out, and I saved us."

"You..saved..me?"

"I..SAVED....US.." he corrected me with a cold as ice voice.

"Why?" I had to ask.

"You're no good to me dead, I need you alive. So I can see her again..." his voice trailing off.

"See who?"

"None of your God damned business alright?!" he shouted at me.

"But-"

He silenced me with a gun to the chin, "No more questions, got it?!"

I knew he was bluffing, he just told me needed me alive, but I dropped the question.

"Anyway, just relax and let the story unfold.." he said calmly, retracting the cocked pistol from my chin.