Don't Forget

1

Did you forget
That I was even alive
Did you forget
Everything we ever had
Did you forget
Did you forget
About me


Screaming shouting…then a crash; candle falling, flames climbing; she runs, he stays. Pictures curl, faces burn.

Beep..Beep..Beep

His hand filled with wires, a blanket placed just right so he won’t get cold. Tears fall, apologies uttered. He makes no sound.

Beep..Beep..Beep

Smoke inhalation and a blow to the head are the cause, he might not wake up, but they’ll wait and see.

The men tell her he’d been upstairs when the floor collapsed. They’re barely gone before she collapses beside the bed.

It’d only been a stupid wedding picture.

He’d still remembered, despite his anger.

She sobs.

Beep..Beep..Beep

The doctors come in. Clipboards are taken out and notes are written. A check on this eye and then a check on the other. There’s no change, they say, but keep talking, it helps.

Their love is forever, she tells him. It’ll get them through anything, he just has to remember. He’s still alive so she knows he remembers.

Beep..Beep..Beep

Friends and family visit, offering her their regards. They only stay for a couple hours at the most. She never leaves. If she leaves he might forget. She won’t let him forget.

They offer her a place to stay. She always tells them no. This is her home for now.

Beep..Beep..Beep

Their love fills her dreams as an arm reaches over his torso. It doesn’t hurt him, so the doctors don’t mind.

Kisses to the face and kisses to the hand. A hope of waking him shattered when he refuses to respond.

She tells him he has to remember.

Beep..Beep..Beep

His heart beats in his chest; she can feel against her hand. She pushes away his hair. He never did like it in his face. Someone brings a Cream CD, his favorite. She plays it for him.

Few trips are made out of the room. Sometimes it’s just the store, she needs a book to read him.

When she returns, he still hasn’t forgotten.

Beep..Beep..Beep

A month and still nothing. The doctors have given up hope. They tell her of her options. She refuses to hear them. His heart still beats, there’s still a chance.

They leave her alone, she takes his hand and tells him he really has to remember. Because if he truly remembers, he’ll surely come back to her.

Beep….Beep.…Beep

Something is wrong she can feel it. The beeps are slower, the comfort they’d come to give her letting her know with each beat he was alive, is gone. A doctor rushes in, she’s pushed to the side.

Beep…..Beep…..Beep

She yells at him to remember.

She tells him he’s all she loves.

He has to remember.

Beep.Beep.Beep.Beep.Beep

His heart’s back up, it’s too fast though. She sobs, watching them work, watching as he convulses. She needs his hand, needs to tell him she’s there. If he knows, maybe he’ll be all right. They don’t let her near, not now.

Beeeep…..Beeeep……Beeeeeep

He isn’t going to make. They can’t stabilize him. She yells at him.

Tells him he can’t forget.

Beeeeeeeeeeeeeep

He’s forgotten

But somewhere we went wrong
Our love is like a song
But you won't sing along
You've forgotten
About us
♠ ♠ ♠
This is a lot different than the way I usually write and I'm not sure I entirely like it. I hope you like it though.