‹ Prequel: Come Around
Sequel: Glide With The Breeze

Nothing Goes As Orchestrated

Chapter Fifteen

"Cassandra, is that you?"

Immediately recognizing the voice, Cassie froze. She was didn't want to turn around for fear of what might be said. But after a quick moment, she mustered up all the courage she could find and turned in the direction the voice had come.

"It is you! Sweetheart, how have you been?"

"I've been alright, Mrs. Gaskarth," Cassie said cautiously, surprised by the excitement in the woman's voice.

"It's so good to see you again," Marie said, pulling Cassie into a hug.

Cassie returned the embrace, "It's good to see you again as well," she said as Marie let go of her, "Um, Alex told you-"

"That you two broke up?" she interrupted, "Yes, of course he did. But he's an idiot, Honey. I hate to say this, but he had it coming."

"Excuse me?" Cassie said, her face twisted in confusion.

"My son has had this coming for many years. He thinks I don't know about all the things he's done, but I do. A mother always knows. And if, for some reason, she doesn't, she will find out."

"I didn't break up with him as payback or punishment for anything he did in the past, Mrs. Gaskarth," Cassie said, "I broke up with him because he ran away and hid when things got difficult instead of trying to work through it."

"Oh, I didn't mean it like that!" she exclaimed with a laugh, "I'm a big believer in karma, Cassandra," she said.

"So am I," Cassie said, looking at the floor.

"Don't get me wrong," she continued, "I love my son very much. And I know he's a good person. He just needs to grow up."

Cassie nodded, "He does," she agreed.

"I want to tell you something, Cassandra, but I need you to look at me," she said and Cassie slowly lifted her eyes from the floor to Marie's, "Alex loved you very much. He still does. And he misses you. I know he has a girlfriend, but I also know he doesn't love her. He doesn't even want to love her."

"Then why bother staying with her?"

"Because he doesn't think you will ever forgive him. And on top of that, he doesn't think he deserves your forgiveness. To be honest, he always thought you were too good for him anyway."

Cassie could feel the tears welling behind her eyes. Alex had said to her many times that he didn't deserve her over the short period of time they were together, but she never knew how much he really meant it.

"Why are you telling me all this?" she asked quietly.

"Because you need to hear it, Cassandra," Marie said, "Alex has this bad habit of losing sight of the big picture and focusing on one tiny little thing. And at some point, that little thought in the back of his mind took over everything else. And all he could hear, no matter what you or anyone else said, is that he wasn't good enough. It wasn't your fault, nor should it have been your responsibility to have to constantly reassure him. But that's just the way he is."

Before Cassie could figure out how to respond, Jack came bounding toward them with a huge grin on his face. Matt followed in a much more calm fashion.

"Mom!" Jack exclaimed, wrapping his arms around Marie.

"Hi Sweetie," she said, returning the embrace, "How's my favorite pseudo son?" she asked.

"I'm great. I'm leaving tomorrow to go to California," he said excitedly.

"You are?" Cassie asked, "Since when?"

"Since about half an hour ago. I decided it would be a good idea and then also you wouldn't have to fly home alone," he said.

Cassie rolled her eyes, "I'm a big girl," she said, "I don't need someone to escort me home."

Marie interjected before anything else could be said, "I should get going before anyone gets too excited. Have a fun trip, Jack. Give my son my love when you see him," she said, "And Matt, it's always wonderful to see you," she said, giving him a quick hug.

Matt nodded, "Always a joy," he said.

"And Cassandra," she said, "Think about what I said. And don't be a stranger."

Cassie nodded and hugged Marie, "I'm glad we ran into each other before I left, Mrs. Gaskarth," she said.

"Me too, Honey," she said.

They all watched her walk toward the yogurt shop's exit and disappear into the mall. Without a word to either of the boys, Cassie turned and walked to the counter and ordered her yogurt. The boys did the same and then joined Cassie at the table she'd found.

"What did she say to you?" Matt asked when they sat down.

"Oh, nothing," Cassie said, "I'm kind of bummed I'm leaving tomorrow. It's been a really nice week."

After spending the afternoon with the boys, Cassie returned to her parents' house for dinner with them on her last night home. She helped with the dishes when they finished eating and then headed to her room to change into pajamas, since she had nothing planned for the night.

She sighed quietly to herself as she sat on her bed and reached for the frame that was still lying face down on her night table. As she stared at it, she wondered if she and Alex would ever be that way again. Even if they got back together, would it be different? Would there always be this point in time that hung over them and reminded them of all the things they'd done wrong?

She felt a tear slide down her face and she set the picture back on the night table. At the very beginning, people had told her to stay away from Alex because he was bad new. And now, everyone was telling her to give him another chance. Her brain was confused, but her heart knew exactly what it wanted.

With another sigh, she picked up her phone that she hadn't touched in day and turned it on. Message notifications popped up but she ignored them and dialed his number. On the fourth ring, he finally answered.

"Hello?" he said quietly.

"Hi," Cassie said just as quietly, "Um, are you busy?" she asked.

"Not really. I mean, kind of. Chelley's here," he said.

Cassie bit her lip, "Oh. I should've figured that. I'll let you go," she said.

"No, it's okay. She's downstairs watching TV. I told her I was going to go change," he said, "What's up? How's everything in Maryland?"

"Everything's good here. I ran into your mom today," she said.

"Oh yeah?" he asked curiously, "How'd that go?"

"Fine, I guess."

"What'd she have to say?" he asked.

"A lot," she replied.

"Such as?" Alex prompted and then sighed when she didn't say anything, "Why did you call me, Cassandra?" he asked.

Cassie bit her lip, "I just, um," she sighed, "I don't know," she said quietly.

"I know you're biting your lip. Stop it," he said.

She didn't even have to ask how he knew she was doing that. It was obvious that he knew her and her nervous habits all too well. And for some reason, that was one that always got to him. Part of her wanted to laugh about it and part of her wanted to cry. But all of her stayed strong. And silent. It was when she heard Alex let out a sight that she spoke.

"Can I see you when I get back?" she asked quietly.

Her question took him by surprise and it took him a few seconds to gather his suddenly jumbled thoughts, "When are you coming home?" he asked.

"My plane is supposed to land around five thirty, California time, tomorrow. Rian and Angie are coming to pick Jack and me up and then we're going to dinner," she said.

"Then I guess tomorrow is out of the question," he said.

"It's Friday night anyway. Aren't you going to be with Chelley?" she asked.

"Not if you wanted to see me," he replied.

Cassie sighed, "I don't think tomorrow night is a good idea," she said, "And I don't think it should be at either of our houses."

"What about breakfast Saturday?" he asked without argument, "My treat."

"Okay. IHOP at nine thirty," she said, "And I can pay my own way."

Alex sighed softly but still didn't put up any kind of fight, "Whatever you want, Cassandra," he said.
♠ ♠ ♠
Breaking more ground. I don't know if I really like this chapter that much. It could just be that I'm tired though. I'm sorry if the last few chapters seemed somewhat repetitive.

I just wanted to let you all know that I probably won't update again until Saturday. The next three days are busy busy busy. I'm going out with my coworkers after work tomorrow. I'm going to Warped Tour on Thursday. Friday is a ten hour work day and then I'm going to see Set Your Goals, Four Year Strong and Fireworks! after work.