‹ Prequel: Come Around
Sequel: Glide With The Breeze

Nothing Goes As Orchestrated

Chapter Nine

Cassie woke up early after a terrible night's sleep. Her dreams had been plagued with one word echoing in Alex's voice. Whore. It was all she heard in her head the entire night and it was still there now that she was awake. Her blood boiled as she thought about the previous night.

She rolled out of her bed and dressed quickly in track shorts and a tank top. She grabbed her Zune and made her way downstairs, greeted by the sound of the television. Instead of ignoring it, she wandered into the living room only to find it empty. She turned the TV off and turned around, nearly running right into Matt.

"Sorry," they both said at the same time.

"You're up early," Cassie observed.

Matt nodded, "Tour manager's schedule. Even when I'm off, my internal clock wakes me up at insanely early hours. But I get a head start on the day, or something like that," he said with a shrug, "Going for a jog?" he asked, taking in her outfit.

"Yeah. I need to clear my head," she said, "Do you want to come along?"

"Sure. If you don't mind waiting for me to change," he said, disappearing upstairs.

While she waited, Cassie slipped her headphones on and put her Zune on shuffle, keeping the volume low enough that she could still hear what was going on around her. Two songs later, Matt returned, dressed appropriately with his iPod in hand.

The two set off after stretching, Cassie keeping a steady pace that was slightly slower than usual. When Matt kept up with ease, she gradually got up to her regular speed. They stayed together but didn't pay much attention to each other.

Instead of clearing her head, as she'd hoped, her thoughts only became more jumbled. The more the previous night's events played through her head, the more angry she became. Her speed picked up, and Matt fell behind without her even realizing it. He tried to call out to her, but between the music playing and her heart pounding in her ears, she couldn't hear him.

The song changed to one that was fitting of Cassie's mood. Her heart beat faster as Anthony Raneri's voice came through her headphones.

You wanted to know just what makes me tick. I guess I could say that you and your bullshit are pushing me towards an explosion. I guess you're what drives me.

The song played on as she turned a corner, suddenly aware of the direction she was going and her increased speed.

I guess you get caught up in the day to day drama of being you to notice me and what's become of my eyes. The vessels are an angry red just like the blood from my lips as I chew on them.

She rounded another corner, having no idea how far behind Matt was. But the adrenaline was too much. She was sure she couldn't stop if she wanted to at that point.

I keep your picture as a reminder of what I wish I wasn't. It's like a fun house mirror version of myself through those fucked up eyes of yours.

As Cassie neared her destination, she felt moisture on her face. She had no idea if it was sweat or tears or some combination of the two. But she didn't really care either.

I wish I could ride you, drive you too fast into a sharp curve, break your neck like you broke my will. The guardrail will take you home.

The song finished and the next one came on. Her heart pounded harder when the screaming filled her ears and swirled through her head. The songs that played by luck of the draw couldn't have been more appropriate if she'd tried.

The house finally came into view and she sprinted toward it, the closing lyrics to the short song that was playing poured through her headphones as she burst through the front door and made her way up the stairs.

You made me cheap. And thanks for wasted fucking time.

She tore the headphones off as she reached for the doorknob to the bedroom, only to find that it was locked. Just as she was about to pound on it, the door swung open. And without second though, Cassie pulled her arm back and then threw it forward, her clenched fist slamming forcefully into Alex's mouth.

The sheer force sent him stumbling backward and the surprise that came with it almost made him fall. But he managed to steady himself just as she swung again, this time connecting with his cheek.

"You asshole," she screamed, "You fucking asshole."

He made no attempt to shield himself from the blows she was sending his way as she screamed every obscenity she could think of. He just took it. But it wasn't long before a pair of arms wrapped around her and pulled her off Alex.

She struggled against the arms that held her but they refused to loosen up. Since she could no longer hit him, she simply continued screaming.

"How could you fucking do that? How could you call me the one word that you know kills me? How could you make me feel so fucking cheap and dirty? How can you claim to care but still fuck with me so easily?" she screamed, her voice cracking and tears pouring down her face.

"How I can fuck with you?" he said with a laugh, "Take a look in the mirror, sweetheart. You're just as bad as I am. You repeatedly claim you can't trust me, yet you still come over and fuck me."

"Fuck you," Cassie spat.

"Not with so many people around, darling," he replied.

"You think this is a game, a fucking joke, Alex?"

Suddenly, his tone changed, "No, I don't think it's a fucking game. I didn't think it was fucking funny when I watched you kiss one of my best friends," he said as Matt finally came up behind Rian, who still had a tight hold on Cassie.

"You don't get to be mad, you jackass. You have a girlfriend, remember? You almost swallowed her head last night," she shouted.

"I did a lot more than that to her last night," he said, a cocky grin spreading across his face.

Cassie's stomach flipped, "You call me a whore, but you're so much worse," she spat, "You disgust me."

Alex laughed, "At least I picked someone you didn't know. It's not like I hooked up with Vanessa," he said, naming her only single female friend.

"Nessa wouldn't touch you with a ten foot pole."

"Don't be so sure," he said.

"So, what, are you going to go after her next? Hmm? Then who? Angie after that?" she asked.

He laughed again, "Nah, that's my bro's girl," he said, looking past Rian and straight into Matt's eyes, "I wouldn't do that."

"Bullshit," Matt said, calling Alex out, "You fucked that girl Jack was seeing."

Cassie's eyes bore into Alex's and she opened her mouth to speak, but he did so first, "We were sixteen and I was proving a point. That skank bitch couldn't be trusted. I did him a favor, really."

"How can you even look at yourself in the mirror?" Cassie asked viciously.

"How can you?" he retorted.

"I can't," she said, walking out of the room when she finally got Rian to let go of her.
♠ ♠ ♠
The blame game.

The first song is Guardrail, by Bayside and the second is Please Die!, by American Nightmare. Just in case anyone was wondering.