‹ Prequel: Princess Crashing Down

Prince In Distress

Chapter 1

Afternoon:
The room was hot and sticky. My legs were sticking to the wooden seats and I had to wipe my forehead 100 times in a row to get the sweat off. The entire student body was supposed to sit in this auditorium, sweating to death because some kid was killed.
Some guy walked on stage and unfolded a piece of paper. You could tell he was nervous because he was shaking like crazy.
They made it so that his face showed up on the big screen behind him, so everyone could see better. I sat up in my seat and stared at the picture. I knew him from some where, but I couldn't remember the name.
"I'm not up here because they asked me to be. I don't owe anything to this guy. You could never force me to say that I'm sorry because I'm not a liar. Go ahead- Call me a killer. I don't really give a shit. I'm up here today to prove that he fucking deserved it!"
People clapped and screamed for him. He looked out to everyone, while being pushed off the stage, to smile and laugh. "Thank you all!"
Teachers all ran onto the stage to escort him off and my jaw dropped to the ground. I could barley remember, but I knew he was Dillon Viota. His fiance, Isabella Marcc, was sitting to the side of the stage crying her eyes out. Dillon killed the kid. Dillon killed the kid!
For the past few months I've been seeing a blurry picture of a beat up kid staring down a loaded gun, pleading for him not to shoot. I had never been able to see the guy holding the gun before, but now Dillon was there. I could feel myself shaking.
A hand flew down onto my shoulder and Josh jumped into the seat next to me.
I jumped up. "Dude, they're in the middle of something important."
"Jeeze touchy. Chill out- I just took a piss."
I turned my face away from him to hide my embarrassment. "Sorry man, you just scared me."
He smiled. "It's alright bro!" He laughed and snapped his gum, looking away from me. I took a sigh of relief and stared at him. I'd do anything to be him. He was perfect- with his looks and
"Look at Isabella up there, crying!" He cracked up.
"Ha ha yeah. Oh my god dude, she's freaking out!" I laughed and played along, but I actually felt really bad for her. Josh only hates her because she wouldn't sleep with him.
"This is like a show."
"You do know this kid died, though... right?"
"Who cares? I didn't know him. Why the fuck do you care?" He stared down on me.
"I- I don't, Josh. I was just kidding."
He smiled again and slapped me on the back. "You're so gay man! I'm gonna go see Tayla."
He ran off and I slouched down in my seat. He called me gay. Fuck him! He doesn't know what he's talking about.
I stormed out of the auditorium and down the hall.
"Where do you think you're going Mr. Ricci?"
"I have to go to the bathroom." I started walking back down the hall until he got in front of me again.
"All students are instructed to stay in the auditorium until the ceremony is over."
"I have to take a piss." I tried getting by him again, but he stopped me.
"Report back to the auditorium right now, Mr. Ricci."
"Move!" I pushed right past him and ran down the hall. I saw him turn around and stroll back into the auditorium. I guess I'm a problem for later.
I went into the bathroom and threw water on my face. I checked my watch and saw that it was 2:10. It was four minutes until the bell and I was already in trouble, so I grabbed my bag from the locker, slung it over my shoulder, and slammed the door shut. I walked down the stairs and out the side door of the school. I heard the bell go off and I sprinted for about a block, so no one would see me outside. Then, I realized it was Tuesday and I had to go see my brother, so I turned around and casually walked past my school.

Night:
I walked up to the big doors and stood in place deciding whether or not I even wanted to go inside. It was Grandbell Mental Institute. I always thought it was so funny how our little town needed it's own mental hospital.
An officer stepped out of a truck and waved over to me. "Evening, Mr. Ricci." He yelled across the parking lot.
I put my hand up to gesture back to him and he went back to his business. I hated it when these people acted like my friends. They weren't my friends- just some people creepy people working with crazy people.
I pushed through the doors and went up to the front desk, as if I was some new guy wondering how to get around. Unfortunatley the receptionist greeted me and turned away because I already knew my way around, so I walked down two halls and up a flight of stairs until I was at my brother's room.
I opened up the door rather quickly and it hit something. "Owe!"
I opened it the rest of the way and ran inside to see a girl holding her head.
"Oh my god. I'm so sorry." I took her arm and led her onto the bed. I thought twice about sitting with her because she might get the wrong idea.
"Oh no no. It's alright. I'm sort of a clutz anyway." She smiled at me.
"Hey I know you." I acted a bit too happy.
"Period six science. I sit in the second row."
"Yeah. Yeah."
She didn't say anything- just kept staring at me.
"Um... are you sure you're ok?"
"Oh yeah. Totally." She smiled again.
"Um... ok. Good." I got up as fast as I could, so I could leave the room, but she grabbed onto my arm and pulled me back.
"But you could make it up to me with a date."
"Uhh-"
"I mean, we pretty much know eacother, right?"
I sighed in defeat. "Sure."
She whipped out a pen and started scribbling her number on my hand. I pulled my hand away from her on the ninth number, as if I thought she was done, and ran my fingers through my hair.
"Um. Thanks." I faked a smile.
"Wait- I didn't finish writing the last number."
"Oh."
She took my hand back and started writing again. She kissed my hand and looked into my eyes.
"Ok. I gotta go." I rudely shook her off of me and went into the next room, where my brother was.
"What took you so long, dude?"
"Everything's fine. I just got caught up, but I'm here now. Anything new going on?"
"Someone new's moving in on this floor. I'm praying he'll room with me cause I haven't had a rommmate in a while."
"Yeah, I know. I'll be praying too." He smiled at me and I felt the saddness taking over me, as it usually does when I come to see him.
"How are things at home?"
"Good, I guess."
"Why? What's wrong?"
"Nothing. I've just been getting in some trouble at school."
"What kind of trouble?"
"Just mouthing off to teachers."
"Don't let it get any worse, Paul. Things can get dangerous."
"Trust me, I know."
"What's that?" He laughed and examined my hand.
"Told you I got caught up."
"By a girl?" He read the nameout loud. "Mindy." He laughed.
"Yeah, a girl."
His face turned serious. "But... aren't you-"
"What?"
"Don't you like... you know-"
"What?"
"Aren't you gay?"
"What!" I flipped over a small table next to his bed. "No! Shut up!"
"Paul. Paul! Nevermind!"
"That's right! Nevermind! I am not- gay!" I flashed him an evil look and stormed out of the room. I ran right past the front desk and slammed the doors behind me. "Ugh!" I screamed and kicked the door. I slid down my back, against the door and noticed the gaurds all around the parking lot, so I started running away from the hospital. I stopped by the side of the road and instantly started feeling bad for yelling at my brother. He's in no condition for anyone to make him feel bad. I thought about going back, but I decided not to. My brother's emo and I know those nurses don't help him as much as they say they do.