‹ Prequel: Princess Crashing Down

Prince In Distress

Chapter 2

Morning:
I picked up my phone and started dialing the number that was fading away on my hand. I wasn't gay, so there was no reason not to call her.
"Hello?"
"Hey!" I jumped up, as if I didn't expect to hear her voice.
"Oh hey."
I couldn't see her, but I just knew she had that corny smile across her face. I don't know why it made me so mad.
"Um. I called to see if you were still up for that date."
"Of course. I have a big family thing tonight, but yeah. You can pick me up in an hour."
"An hour?"
"Yeah. Why not?"
"I don't know. I guess that's ok."
"Kay. Bye." She blew a kiss into the phone and hung up. I let the dial tone flow through me before I put the phone down. I really didn't want to go on the date. Maybe I just don't like her. It doesn't mean I don't like any girl.
I shook the thoughts around in my head and jumped in the shower. I let the water hit me right in the face. My cheeks were hot and red, so I didn't even feel how cold the water was. I stared down at my wrists and pictured them covered in scars like my brother's were. It didn't phase me as much as I thought it would. I guess I was just so used to seeing it, that pretending was just normal. I picked up a razor and pretended like it was a kid's game. I slid it over my skin and made a slashing sound with my mouth. It actually made me laugh. I could never imagine actually cutting through my skin, but I always thought about how easy it would be. I picked up my mom's red shampoo and squirted it all over my wrists and the razor.
"Ahhh." I pretended to scream. I was laughing and fooling around, but then some wave of shame hit me. I was making fun of my own brother who couldn't control it.
"Ugh!" I screamed and chucked the razor and shampoo into the wall. I pounded my wrists across the wall and stood still, letting the water run down my body. It calmed me down, so I washed the shampoo off my arms and scrubbed myself with Axe, so I wouldn't smell like the flowery shampoo.
The dial for the water twisted around in my hand and my body felt numb. I had never noticed how cold the water was during my shower. I draped the towel over me and walked right past the razor at the sink. I decided not to shave. It's not like I have that much facial hair anyway.

Afternoon:
I sat on my couch, waiting for my date, and watching some adult show that would make me look more mature. Someone knocked on my door, so I jumped up and slid on my shoes. I opened the door and Josh flew in.
"I heard!"
"Heard what?"
"That you found a hot date in a mental institute!" He laughed and slapped me on my back like he always does.
"Where'd you hear that?"
"John's sister was delivering mail there and she saw you hooking up in that little room."
"We didn't hook up."
"What were you doing in there anyway?" He started to get serious.
"Um."
"Spit it out, man."
"I was- someone payed me fifty bucks for some of those drugs."
"Really? Awesome, man. Where is it?"
"Where's what?"
"The cash."
"I was jumped on the way home. Word got out I had it on me and they wanted some."
"Dammit! How much did you have on you?"
I thought about the lie I'd made so far. It can't get any worse from here. I can take them for myself and just say they were stolen.
"Five. Maybe just four."
"Ugh. He hit his hand, down on my couch and headed out the door."
"I'll go see if we can get more. I might have some explaining to do."
"Sorry, Josh."
"Whatever. Just stop being so gay." He grunted and disappeared.
"Is everything ok?" Mindy walked through the open door and put her hand on my shoulder. "I heard some of it."
"Sorry." I tried not to look at her.
"Were they really stolen?"
"No."
She walked in front of me and smiled.
"Well- where is it now?"
"Somewhere upstairs."
She was shaking with excitement.
"I've never tried it!"
"So?"
"Let's bring it. In fact, let's just bring the date to my basement all together. I was gonna say that we should go out to eat, but this is way better."
I felt a lot better. It can't possibly feel as much of a date just getting high in some chick's basement.
"I'll go get it."
She jumped up and down, clapping her hands. I ignored how annoying it was and ran upstairs. I pulled out a box and just threw the whole thing into a bag and ran back downstairs.