Status: Finished.

Home Alone

The Name.

Day number three is spent cleaning the house. No, this was not Frank's idea. His mom called around noon to ask how he was doing, and asked him to, "Please, keep the house clean, Frank. Don't make a mess and wait 'till the day before I come home to clean up." Frank figured he owed her that much; after all, she was letting him stay home alone. So, he got out all the cleaning supplies and set about the house, cleaning everything. The strange thing about Frank is, he really doesn't mind cleaning; as long as it's not his room. He will clean the kitchen, the bathroom, the living room, and leave them all perfect and sparkling, but if it's his bedroom, he mopes around, putting it off for as long as he can. He wonders if other people are like that, but decides he really doesn't care. So, once the rest of the house is as clean as possible, he stands in his bedroom doorway, staring at the room. It's not necessarily messy; Frank likes to keep it fairly clean. But he still needs to dust and put away laundry, which he really doesn't want to do. Just as he's about to pick up the duster and get to work, the doorbell rings.

"Oh, what a shame," he says out loud to no one, tossing the duster down and practically sprinting down the stairs to the front door.

When he opens it, he's met with the bored face of the boy from the day before. The boy immediately shoves a dish of broccoli casserole into Frank's hands.

"Oh, uh, hey," Frank mumbles stupidly, studying the boy's pale face and holding the casserole tight.

"Alive?" Evidently, there's no need for full sentences anymore.

"Yeah. Um, what's your name?" Frank's not sure if he really wants to talk to the boy, but he knows he doesn't want to clean his room.

The boy looks at him from behind his black bangs, almost suspicious of Frank, before saying, "Gerard."

"Oh. I'm Frank," Frank smiles, sticking out his hand, still holding the casserole in the other.

"Yeah, I know," Gerard says, like it's the most obvious thing in the world, while looking down at Frank's hand and raising one eyebrow.

Frank takes back his hand and grips the dish again, feeling extremely awkward.

But, the awkwardness does not stop him from asking, "Do you, uh, wanna come in. Or, something?" Because, again, he's not sure he wants to be around Gerard, but he's positive he doesn't want to be around his room.

Gerard moves his mouth to one side, considering the offer, before saying, "I guess I have nothing better to do," and walking in, pushing past Frank.

Frank's eyes bulge in disbelief. This kid really is a dick. But, he shuts the door and turns around, leading Gerard into the living room.

"So why are you the one checking on me again?" Frank asks, playing with the container he's still holding.

"My brother has karate again. I'll probably be the one checking on you everyday. I guess," Gerard says, not looking very happy about it.

Frank nods his head. "Do you want something to drink? Or, like, eat? We could watch a movie," he trails off, looking at Gerard for a reaction.

Gerard flops down on the couch and says, "Yes, no, sure, what movie?"

"Uh.. You can pick one. There's those on the table, and more over there," he says, pointing to the DVD rack. "What do you want to eat?"

"I said no to food, yes to drink. And I'll have water."

"Okay," Frank says, drawing out the word and walking into the kitchen.

When he goes back into the living room with two glasses of water in hand, after putting the casserole gift into the fridge, Gerard is on his cell phone.

"Yeah, okay. Sure thing. Okay. Love you too. Bye," he says, smiling and hanging up his phone.

Frank looks at him with his eyebrows raised. "Your mommy?" He asks teasingly, gesturing to Gerard's phone.

"None of your business. I have to go," he says, standing up and heading towards Frank.

"Uh, okay." Frank really has no idea what this kid is all about.

Gerard stops and stares at one of the glasses of water in Franks hand. He's looking at it like he's making one of the biggest decisions in his life. Then, he takes it from Frank and says, "I'm gonna take this, okay? I'll bring the glass back later. Maybe."

Frank doesn't even question him, just says, "What ever," and leads him back to the front door.

Gerard opens the door, then looks down at the handle. "You should really keep your door locked," he says, locking it himself. "There's some real crazy people around here."

Frank uses all the self control he can muster to not make a witty comment about Gerard maybe being the leader of these crazy people, and just nods his head. Gerard steps outside and heads home, drinking his glass of water while he walks. Frank shakes his head and closes the door.

He doesn't know why, but he unlocks the door, smirking to himself.