A Fishy Proposal

Sushi

Japan. Easily the most beautiful country in the world. At least, outside of the hustle bustle of the main city.

With the beautiful shrines dotted across cherry blossom parks, entertaining festivals played out with a Mt. Fuji backdrop, and ceremonial tea and sake tasting surrounded by a gorgeously raked Zen garden, it was no surprise that Tokyo was the city that Cam decided to treat Abby to, to gussy her up for the unique proposal he had planned for her later that week.

And of course, with the couple’s childish enthusiasm, Disneyland was a must.

Walking through the spectacular cherry blossom parks, and ‘accidentally’ falling into the Zen garden, messing up the raked sand, was probably the highlights of the first few days.

And Disneyland, of course.

**

“Two, please,” Cam grinned at the short, slightly plump woman standing at the doorway to Sakura Sushi, tapping his thumb discreetly so Abby wouldn’t see.

“Two?” the woman asked, tilting her head to one side, grinning.

Cam held up two fingers at her face and wiggled them, “two,” he nodded.

The woman bowed to Cam and gave Abby a warm smile before leading them into the sushi bar.

“Oh wow!” Abby exclaimed, “I’ve actually never seen an authentic Japanese sushi train, this is gorgeous!”

It was. The entire shop was adorned with pale pink wood patterns, complete with white stools with pale pink seats. A solitary, gigantic kitchen ran down the middle of the shop, a double-decker train line wrapped around it. The upper train was moving in the opposite direction of the bottom train. It was probably one example of the genuine clever Japanese minds.

“This way please,” the stout little woman instructed, leading them down to the very end, where they could look down the entire shop, kitchens and all. Abby sat down in wonder.

“I thought this place looked nice from the outside,” Cam said in wonder, sitting down.

“Cammy,” Abby cooed, sitting down next to Cam, “you’re always right from the start.”

The two sat for a while, and ordered their drinks.

Cam’s heart was beating like a drum as the chef in the tallest white hat gave him a knowing nod. And a mischievous grin.

“Sweetie,” Abby coaxed, touching his arm, “are you okay? You look a little sick.”

“I do?” Cam voiced, then shook his head vigorously, “No, no. I’m fine. I’m good.”

Cam waited for Abby to divert her attention elsewhere, before nodding shakily to the chef nearest him. The Japanese chef, who looked like he was fresh out of high school, grinned and gently placed an opaque-covered dish onto the train heading their direction, and turned back to the salmon he was cutting.

Cam waited nervously for the dish to come around, and when it did, quickly grabbed it and placed it gently next to him, as far away from Abby as possible.

“I’ll go wash my hands,” he mumbled to her, before high-tailing it to the bathroom.

There, he paced around nervously. Should he do it? Now? What if she says no? She won’t say no… would she? She could… Should he?

He looked at himself firmly in the mirror.

“Abby will be crazy to say no,” he said to himself, “You are the man, and you will do it when you go back out there. All you have to do is take off the friggin’ cover and ask her.”

He glared at himself, and the mirror glared back.

“Let’s go,” they both said, before he stormed out again.

Abby was seated at the bar stool, eyeing the various sushi dishes that came past her. In Cam’s eyes, she was the most beautiful girl in the world. Her blond, bouncy curls seemed to command a single spotlight as they glowed under the Japanese paper lanterns.

Cam awkwardly returned to her, grabbed the plate and got down on one knee. Abby turned to look at him in great surprise.

“Abigail Miranda Fox,” he slurred, opening the opaque cover, his eyes staring into Abby’s face as if she was a prize bull charging straight at him, “Will you Marry me?!”

Abby stared at him for a couple of seconds, then at the plate.

“I think that’s a bit too big for me…” she said quietly, taking the plate and turning it around so Cam could see its contents.

An Onion ring?!

Cam grabbed the plate from Abby, shocked. The onion ring slipped across the plate and landed onto the floor. Suddenly there was silence as the whole shop witnessed the event. Cam looked down the restaurant; almost every single eye was on him. He looked, genuinely confused, at the chef who prepared the plate. But he was wearing an equally confused expression.

“Cam, Cammy, sweetie,” Abby soothed, pulling him to his feet, “get up.”

Cam let her pull him up and seat him down onto his stool. He opened his mouth, ready to gasp an apology, when Abby took his hands.

“Cam,” she smiled, loud enough for the entire shop to hear, “that ring wouldn’t have been able to fit my finger.”

Cam gave the onion ring on the floor a dazed look.

“Cammy, look at me,” Abby snapped, and he quickly looked back up at her.

“Yes, Abby?” he gasped, throat dry.

Abby smiled, “that wouldn’t have fit,” she repeated, “but this one will.”

From her pocket, she brought out a single, silver diamond ring, reflecting the light so brilliantly.

Cam stared, wide eyed.

“I knew you had a reason to choose this particular restaurant, sweetie,” coaxing his hand to gently hold the ring over her middle finger, “it’s a sign that I know you well.”

“Will you Marry me?” Cam babbled again, as if only noticing that the ring was there, “Abinda Margail Fox?”

Abby laughed, “I’d love to!” she screamed, jumping on Cam and knocking both of them off the stool and onto the floor. He was only fazed for a few seconds before pushing the ring firmly onto her finger and pulling her into a deep kiss.

The whole restaurant erupted into cheers as the couple lay on the floor, lips firmly pressed against each others’. The customers rooted for them happily, some even bouncing on their heels. It wasn’t even their business that two foreigners just got engaged, but… they were the Japanese after all.
♠ ♠ ♠
Wow, this is the cheesiest thing i've ever written.
Oh well~!

My fiance's always talking about proposing to me in a sushibar xP