‹ Prequel: Hearts Intact

Wrists Intact

Just Like Kisses On The Necks Of "Just Friends"

Now there was only one thing on my mind. Do I trust them or do I think they’re liars? They hadn’t done anything to me yet, but that could always change. And they were, vampires, as Pete had said. Now that was hard to believe. But he did seem to be able to read my mind, and come on, that is not normal!

But maybe I really was this Izzye person they kept talking about. I mean, I can’t remember my name. And all of them seem pretty positive that I’m her. I mean, that one guy started swearing when Pete told him that I can’t remember who I am. I’m sure that if they wanted to hurt me that he wouldn’t have done that.

“She’s tired.” Ryan said suddenly. Now how the hell did he know that? Did this mean that he had some creepy power too?

Pete said something in such a low voice that I couldn’t hear what he was saying, I could only see his lips moving. Ryan nodded and then suddenly I was on the bed. It freaked me out, I mean, no one is supposed to move that fast!

“You can re-meet everyone else tomorrow.” Ryan whispered to me. I didn’t reply. I couldn’t help but wonder what my relationships with all these people had been.
Then everyone left the room. I got the feeling that at least one of them would be staying by my door, making sure that I didn’t try to leave. Why would I? I didn’t have anywhere to go.

I didn’t really think much after that, I was too tired. It was only a matter of minutes before I was sound asleep.

*******

“Izzye are you okay?” Skylar asked. I was curled up in a corner of the dark room, tears streaming down my face.

“The ghosts are after me.” I whispered. Skylar looked at me worriedly and came over to me, sitting down next to me. He put his arm around my shoulders, doing his best to comfort me.

“They won’t get you, I’ll protect you!” He whispered fiercely. I looked up at him and shook my head.

“They said that they’ll get you too.” I whispered. At this Skylar’s face went white but he didn’t leave my side. Instead he hugged me.

“We can tell mom and dad.” He said. Again I shook my head.

“They won’t believe me, they never do.” I said. Skylar didn’t say anything.

“When did you see them again?” He asked finally. I paused for a moment before answering him.

“I don’t know, not too long ago.” I replied, wiping my tears away on the sleeve of my sweater.

“Where?” Skylar asked. Fearfully I glanced up at the window.

“There.” I said. He followed my gaze and we fell into a fearful silence.

*******

When I woke up from my dream I was terrified. Who the hell was Skylar and what ghosts was I talking about? Did I mean real ghosts or was that some name I had made up for whatever was scaring me. That was probably it, I had, after all, only been about five in the dream.

But what if it had just been a dream and not some kind of flashback. But then I remembered, Skylar, whoever he was, had called me Izzye, just like Ryan and the others. It couldn’t have been just a dream.

And then I realized that there was someone in the room with me. I jumped and stared at them, ready to bolt if they came any closer. I didn’t know where I’d run to, but I was ready to run if I had to.

I couldn’t make out his details in the dark but he was sitting in a chair near the door.

There was a long awkward silence and I found myself wondering if I had ever met this guy, when I was Izzye or whoever.

“I’m Patrick.” He said finally. I didn’t answer. The name didn’t ring a bell, but then again, nothing did.

“We are, used to be, still are, maybe not…friends.” He said, his voice getting quieter as he realized he didn’t know what to say we were. At least he was being normal and non-freaky about this, unlike the rest of them.

“Really.” Was all that I said. I couldn’t tell for sure, but I thought that he smiled at that.

“Yeah, not best, but we were pretty close.” He said. I didn’t know what to say to that. At least I knew what our relationship had been.

“You were dreaming.” He said a few minutes later. It was a statement not a question. I hesitated, should I tell him? Could I trust him? I decided that if I had to trust anyone than it might as well be him.

“Yeah.” I said slowly. Patrick didn’t reply and there was a long silence.

“Who’s Skylar?” I asked suddenly. Patrick jumped and stared at me in surprise.

“You remember him?” He asked, his tone indicating that he was amazed. I shook my head.

“He was in my dream.” I said. Patrick didn’t answer right away and I started to wonder if Skylar was somebody that we didn’t talk about.

“He’s your twin brother.” Patrick said finally. Okay, now this just seemed like some really cheesy movie. Like honestly, vampires? A twin brother? Me unable to remember anything at all? Maybe I was going to get abducted by aliens next!

“If he’s my twin then where is he?” I asked. Patrick hesitated again before he answered.

“He’s a vampire now.” He said slowly. Everyone was insisting that there really were vampires! But what if they were actually telling the truth? I can’t see all three of them lying to me, I’m sure I’ll find out for sure soon.

“How?” I asked. I felt bad that I didn’t feel any sadness but I couldn’t remember him at all, except for in my dream.

After another pause Patrick told me about the car accident and Rae, how everything had been a lie. It was more like a soap opera now.

“Why can’t I remember any of that?” I asked. I saw Patrick shrug.

“Maybe it was too much for your mind to take and it blocked out everything.” He said. I guess that was a reasonable explanation.

Neither of us spoke after that and I began to think that I had made a friend out of a friend, if that makes any sense at all.