‹ Prequel: Hearts Intact

Wrists Intact

At Trust and Love and Hope

The next few days were the worst. I was convinced that he was going to get me. It wouldn’t be hard for him, he was capable of anything. I wasn’t sure if anyone besides Devin believed me though. They didn’t know him; they didn’t see what he did.

*******

Ryan’s POV

“So if she can remember that, then why can’t she remember anything else?” Brendon asked. Pete, Patrick, Devin, Brendon and I were all in the kitchen, talking about Izzye. It seemed like we never talked about anything else anymore. Not that I’m complaining.

Devin had been silent so far, just listening with a troubled look on his face. Now, at Brendon’s comment Devin looked up.

“We always said that there were two Izzyes.” Devin said. By we I assumed that he meant Jimmy, Skylar and himself. I didn’t ask though, he was still pretty sensitive about anything to do with Jimmy and Skylar.

“There’s the Izzye before Roger and the Izzye after Roger. The Izzye before Roger was really shy and thought about absolutely everything. The Izzye after Roger was the one you guys knew, the one that acted without thinking. She did absolutely everything to not think about the Izzye before Roger, the Izzye who knew Mel.” Devin said slowly, thinking carefully about each word. The sadness radiating off of him was almost too much for me to bear.

“So you think that she’s gone back to being the Izzye before Roger.” Patrick said slowly, putting everything together. Devin nodded.

“That would sort of explain why she can’t remember any of us.” Brendan said. I agreed. I found myself wondering if I would like this Izzye like I liked the other Izzye. Just thinking about it made my head hurt.

“But what do we do now?” Devin asked. None of us said anything.

*******

Izzye’s POV

“We’re going to London?” I asked. Ryan nodded. I didn’t know what to say. Did they really think by leaving the country they could prevent Roger from finding me? It was pretty obvious that they didn’t know Roger. That wouldn’t stop him. He’d find it more interesting, just another step in the game.

“Why London?” I asked. Ryan shrugged, a grin on his face. For a second the thought that he was incredibly good-looking crossed my mind but I pushed it away. That’s the last thing I needed to be thinking of right now, especially with Pete in the house.

“Why not London?” He asked. I just stared at him. His grinned widened and he grabbed my hand, pulling me up off the bed.

“Come on, pack so we can go!” He said in a whiney voice like a five-year-old. I didn’t know what to say, this wasn’t the Ryan I knew. Then again, I didn’t really know him at all.

“Who’s all coming?” I asked, feeling self-conscience as he watched me pack my clothes into a bag.

“You, me, Spencer and Patrick.” Ryan replied, lying down on my bed. I couldn’t help but wonder what was up with him, why was he being so weird?

“What about the others?” I asked. Ryan hesitated before answering.

“They’re going to New York.” He said. Of all the places why would they go to New York? What was there?

“Why?” I asked. Ryan coughed nervously and glanced at the bulletin board. As I followed his gaze I realized in horror that I had never taken down the note I left Rae.

“What’s that mean?” Ryan asked once he finished reading. I shrugged, pretending to be bored.

“Nothing, it’s just a bunch of random words.” I said. Ryan didn’t look convinced but he didn’t push the issue.

“Come on, we have to go or else we’ll miss the plane.” He said, getting to his feet.