Albus Potter and Friends

Bedtime & a Realisation

“And then Grandad plugged the battery in the back and it worked!” Lily exclaimed excitedly to her parents over dinner.

“And Grandad didn’t use any magic?” Ginny smiled, looking over at her father.

“Maybe a little” Arthur Weasley replied.

The dining table was laden with plates and bowls of steaming hot food. Molly Weasley had exerted herself as usual, preparing and cooking enough food for everybody to have second or even third and fourth helpings. The clock on the wall that had once shown the faces of Arthur, Molly and their seven children as being occupants of the Burrow had now changed to add Harry and his three children as well as Ginny. The hands of the clock, all except James and Albus’, pointed in the same direction – home.

“I used to watch television when I was growing up with muggles,” Harry told his daughter.

“You lived with muggles?” Lily replied sceptically, a disbelieving look etched across her face.

“I sure did.”

“Mum, tell Daddy to stop lying.”

***

“Ted, do you want to take Lily to bed?” Harry pointed to Lily who was falling asleep on the couch, bored by the adults’ after dinner conversation.

“But I’m not tired...” mumbled Lily. She sleepily hopped onto Teddy’s back as he leaned down to give her a piggy back. She rested her head on his shoulder, slowly dozing off while trying her hardest to stay awake.

“Careful on the stairs, Teddy!” Ginny exclaimed to Teddy and Lily’s backs as they left the room.

Teddy walked up the stairs carefully. He couldn’t afford to trip while carrying somebody.

“Are you going to marry, Victoire?” Lily mumbled into his shoulder.

“Do you want me to?”

He felt Lily nod.

“Maybe in a couple of years,” He opened the door to her bedroom and walked slowly across the dark room. The nine year olds room was known to be messy.

“I go to Hogwarts in a couple of years...”

He found her bed and placed her in it, pulling the covers up over her.

“Night,” Teddy said, as he left the room, half closing the door. The silence that Lily returned meant that she had fallen asleep.

Reaching the bottom of the stairs he noticed his shoelace was untied. He kneeled down to tie it up; as he did the conversation in the lounge room could be heard quite clearly through the walls.

“The Ministry’s really been cracking down on these Neo-Death Eater rallies that have been happening around London. I caught one of the young ones today, Alfie Saxon –“

“Isn’t he Bernard Saxon from the Department of Muggle Relations’ boy?”

“Yeah, he said he’d give me names if I wouldn’t tell his father. He’s a good kid, I told him to go home and stop meddling in all this. Told him he doesn’t belong there. He knew it too, went home after that.”

“So you didn’t get any names?”

Teddy, who had finished with his shoelace, stayed crouching. He pressed his ear against the wall. He wanted to hear this.

“Oh I did. You won’t believe who he said.”

“Who?”

“Theodore Lupin.”