Albus Potter and Friends

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

For the remainder of the train ride Albus and Scorpius sat opposite one another, trading Chocolate Frog cards and discussing Quidditch teams. It was all too soon that they drew closer to Hogwarts, and it was in silence that they slowly changed into their new robes.

“What do they do with our trunks?” Albus asked as he straightened his robes and made his way out towards the corridor. Young witches and wizards began to file out from their compartments and make their way towards the doors.

“Just leave them here,” Scorpius replied. “They come up after you.”

Albus and Scorpius followed the crowd of students out into the bitter autumn air and onto the platform. They stayed firmly together, unsure of what to do next.

“First years! First years, up this way, please!” Albus looked over the crowd of people to where a nearby Prefect stood. Pulling Scorpius along by his side, Albus made his way over, finding himself in a midst of terrified and excited witches and wizards.

Once the remainder of the school had moved ahead, the first years were led in a different direction. They remained nearly silent except for the odd whisper; all appeared to be in complete awe of their surroundings.

The group soon rounded a corner – and the dark, mysterious lake of Hogwarts loomed ahead. Albus could see the massive castle perched on the hillside past the lake, emitting a warm glow from the fires obviously burning within.

“Four in a boat, please!”

Albus glanced down into the lake where several small rowboats remained close to the shore, almost waiting for the students to clamber inside. He followed Scorpius into a nearby boat, soon joined by two other boys who appeared to be excited about their destination. Swallowing the uncomfortable lump that had moved up to his throat, Albus sat quietly as he felt the boat lurch forwards and drift closer to his new school.

On upon reaching the shore closest to Hogwarts, the first years were instructed to make their way up to the magnificent oak doors. It was then that they were whisked away to a small chamber off the hall, waiting for the Sorting Ceremony to begin. After a small explanation of what was about to happen, the young students were left to quietly talk amongst themselves.

It was only now that Albus had a proper chance to talk to Scorpius. Not that he felt in any particular mood to do so. He tried desperately to calm himself down, to ease his nerves and prepare himself for what lay ahead.

“Are you nervous?” asked Scorpius, noticing Albus’ frantic glancing around the chamber.

“A little,” Albus admitted, giving a weak smile.

“Albus!” Rose’s voice again greeted him. Thankfully, she was alone. Her face immediately fell as her eyes met Scorpius’, and her voice became oddly cool. “Oh. Hello.”

“Uh, Scorpius, this is Rose, my cousin – “

“Nice to meet you,” said Scorpius, his expression not very happy at the welcome he had been given.

She gave a short nod, unsure as to what to say. She turned back to face Albus, almost pretending that she had never laid eyes upon his new friend. “How was your train trip? Mine was excellent – I managed to singe the ends of my friend’s hair, it was completely by accident, though – “

Her voice was cut short by the opening of the chamber door’s entrance, which in turn immediately hushed those around Albus. A great, bearded man with small, beetle black eyes greeted them, his massive presence enough to almost scare anyone in the room.

Albus, however, knew better. Hagrid, an old friend of his father’s, gave a friendly smile to the first years. “I hope yer’re all righ’ to go inside. It’s time fer the Sorting Ceremony to begin!”

Hagrid stood by the doors, allowing everyone to file into the Great Hall. He gave Albus a wink as he passed, mouthing the words ‘Good luck’.

The Great Hall was nearly exactly as his mother, father and brother had described; four long tables lined across the wooden floors, each complete with sets of shiny golden goblets. The enchanted ceiling was bewitched to look like a completely cloudless, starry night, while various ghosts drifted from between the tables looking peaceful. At the front of the hall was the staff table, each Professor dressed in their finest robes. Albus instantly recognised Professor Neville Longbottom, of which his parents were close friends with.