I Will Breathe Fire

My Sanity On The Funeral Pyre

Aiden walked to her bedroom and as she entered she slammed the door. She fell to her knees and slumped over her thighs. Her hands were in fisted and as the rage disappeared so did her hold. She opened out her hands and stared into her palms.

"What have I done?"

There was something so sinister, something so evil that seemed to switch inside her, that she knew it wasn't her. She wouldn't have said those things to Frank. It wasn't her, it was someone else. I t was then her thoughts took her back to when she had first encountered this invasion of identity. It brought her back to the first time she ever fought back.

It was a cold rainy day, the day of her graduation. She was glad she wore her graduation gown; it hid what needed to be hidden. It hid all her pain. The cuts, the bruises, her sores. It was her little secret; it was a secret she kept to herself since her father died.

Her mother Sharon was a jealous woman. It was inevitable . The woman wouldn't approve of Aiden spending more time then she was with Bill, heck she wouldn't approve anything. She wouldn't have it.

Sharon couldn't stand Aiden being around Bill. She hated it. It felt as if Bill was cheating on her with a younger, prettier woman. Bill felt trapped with Sharon, he felt caged in his own home. The morning Bill died, he announce his separation from Sharon. It was that day Sharon almost killed Aiden, hypothetically. She took out her wrath on Aiden until she bled, and did so over and over again even when Bill was gone.

Aiden sat in her mother's car outside the house. She stared out the window lifeless feeling her back throb with pain. She got it worse this morning because of someone’s careless mistake. To cut a long story short she was hit down until she couldn't move with rolling pin. Sharon made sure Aiden's face wasn't harmed though, it would draw unwanted attention on her daughters special day.

All of a sudden a loud bang erupted from the opposite window. Aiden jumped and turned quickly to see a very annoyed Sharon.

"Are you going to sit in there all day? Get your ass back in the house."

Aiden stared at her thinking about her friends, where they were and wishing she was there. She though about what she’d be doing. She would obviously be at a party trying to numbing the pain with a few beers and laughter. She would feel much safer around potential rapists then with her mother.

"Now Aiden! Don't make me come in there!"

The glass took the edge of her horrid voice. But as Aiden did what she was told she felt a warmth filled with rage and hatred rise from the pit of her. As Aiden slid across the back seats, anxiety began to take over.

"Congratz you graduated with flying colours, my so proud of you, blah, blah blah." Sharon began to ramble on once they were in the house. "You best not wet them floors with that stupid outfit. If you do there'll be more of this morning coming to you."

Aiden flinched and ran to the laundry room and stripped off her graduation gown, praying there was nothing left on the floor. Once she put it into the washing machine with some other clothes she peered out the door cautiously looking for her mother. Sharon walked over to the route Aiden took and found little droplets of water trailing to the laundry room. She gave a little chuckle before sitting on the couch.

Sharon lit a cigarette and took in a deep breath of her Benson and Hedges before blowing smoking into the air like a steam train. An evil smile danced across her face. It was frightening for Aiden; that smile; because she knew what it meant.

"Aiden," Sharon sang sweetly. "Be a darling and fetch me that rolling pin."

Aiden slid down onto the titled floor. Her heart raced and her body shook and her eyes where wider than anything you've seen. She swallowed hard. She knew what she had to do. She was going to get it. But who was she to deny her mother?

"C-coming."

As she went to fetch the rolling pin her body was burning. It was a mixture of something she was obliged to do, with fear, ire, pain and hatred. Sharon saw Aiden pass her and followed her with her eyes.

"I told you not to make a mess, you worthless brat!"

Aiden stopped in her tracks. Something quickly turned inside her and she was gone. It was someone else standing infront of her mother. It was then she struck her mother in the face, it was then Aiden set the record straight.

*

"I'm worthless? Well you're an ass of a mother! Where were you when I needed you? Was everything I did, really that wrong?"

"Don't touch me!" Sharon cried as Aiden swung her meat carver in her face.

Aiden ripped off her shirt exposing her scared skin.

"Don't touch you? Why not? Look what you did to me? What am I going to do with this?"

"I'm your mother! Now listen to me!"

"No! You listen to me! You were never my mother. You were a selfish bitch who used me as a fucking pay cheque!"

Aiden lead Sharon to the corner, forcing her on with the blade.

“You did everything painfully possible too me and you don’t think your little 4 year tantrum would back fire?”

Sharon tried her best to look as tough, but inside she deeply regretted ever toughing her. She hit the wall and her heart sank, so did her breathing. Tears streamed down her face and it was then she knew she was wrong. But it was too late. Aiden’s anger feed on her mother’s weakness.

“I did everything you asked me too. Did it ever occur to you that I might have done it out of love?”

Sharon didn’t answer.

“I hate that I can’t hate you. I hate that you are the only thing I have left. Why can’t you accept me? Why can’t you love me!?”

Sharon had an ego problem. It wasn’t in her to tell Aiden she loved her. She stared into Aiden’s eyes and gave her a troubled look.

“So that’s it. That’s it’s on your part.”

Aiden felt no more mercy for her mother. That was the last straw. Aiden held the knife in both hands and lifted it above her head. Tears began to fall like nothing else. All the lies she lead, all the tears she hid behind doors, all the skeletons spilled out of the closet.

"Have it! Have it all!" Sharon screamed waving her hands in the air. “Just don’t hurt me!”

"No more sorrows, I paid for your mistakes!"


Aiden soon came back to reality and sat quietly holding onto her sanity for dear life. She denied ever hurting her mother, she denied everything. The four walls of her sanity, where built upon the lies she lead. Her mind began to unravel itself, picking at her faults, opening the wounds. Ands as her mind began to fall to pieces, her rage burned like wildfire.